Car Reviews (personal 'Thai' experience)

KhunLA

22 minutes ago, transam said:

Our weeeee Suzuki Celerio GL is now near 7 years old, I love it, running costs are minimal,

I peeked at new one recently, at the mall, and was quite impressed.

#1 ... I could fit in the door, very comfortably, actually, effortlessly, with my not so good back. I'm neither large or small, 175cm/80 ish kg.  One major plus of the ZS over previous cars.

#2 ... surprisingly roomy inside, and almost as much headroom as our ZS, which is way more than needed, but nice.  Comfy seats.  Couldn't really spot any negatives ????

#3 ... rated at 20 kpl, so really cost effective around town or out & about.  ZS rated at 11 kpl, and that is very accurate.

I would seriously consider the Celerio over other entry level cars, as almost half price, and just as nice.  When the daughter is done with the Mazda2 she took over from us, think I'll get her a Celerio. Although by then, her income will probably surpass mine, so she may be on her own ... ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I peeked at new one recently, at the mall, and was quite impressed.

#1 ... I could fit in the door, very comfortably, actually, effortlessly, with my not so good back. I'm neither large or small, 175cm/80 ish kg.  One major plus of the ZS over previous cars.

#2 ... surprisingly roomy inside, and almost as much headroom as our ZS, which is way more than needed, but nice.  Comfy seats.  Couldn't really spot any negatives ????

#3 ... rated at 20 kpl, so really cost effective around town or out & about.  ZS rated at 11 kpl, and that is very accurate.

I would seriously consider the Celerio over other entry level cars, as almost half price, and just as nice.  When the daughter is done with the Mazda2 she took over from us, think I'll get her a Celerio. Although by then, her income will probably surpass mine, so she may be on her own ... ????

One thing to remember, though it may be different now, the base and GL model do not have drivers seat raise and lower, or fog/spot lights, the top model does, I did fit the lights on our GL....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

No SUV thead?

It is a car, as the ZS is considered one, and one of the shortest.  A plus for me when parking ... ????

I'm surprised at what is now branded as 'SUV', as the ZS is neither 'sporty', or what I'd consider a 'utility' vehicle, though guess you could work out of it doing small jobs, as the wife is doing now, with the house build.  But you won't be hauling a 7 man crew around.  Also not paying 1.5 mill for it either.

Don't know what utility vehicle would ever be considered sporty.  All way to top heavy and would tip easily.  Marketing ... ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I can only share my experiences, you can believe me or not.  I'm a bit surprised myself, and that's not doing any rabbit starts.  Just my normal driving.   They do usually catch up & pass within few 100 meters, as I'm in no hurry.  Then if they are doing 90 kph on the highway, I'll be passing them again a km or so down the road.

Same with my scooter, but that's electric, so to be expected, and no need to shift.

I only mention the ZS, away from red light, since all the reviews I read, state it's sluggish.  I guess if you are punching it, and expect a 1.5L / 8 geared car to be sporty, then yes, I'd describe as sluggish also.   Our Mazda2 had noticeably more pep from the get go.  Knowing it's not a sports car, and first 2 gears are lower, for heavier loads, I leave a bit more room at those U-turns than I probably would when driving the Mazda2 / 6 geared, and peppier in 1st.

Simply stating this / ZS has more than enough to keep anyone happy, if swayed be reviews, and should simply test drive one, before writing them of as non sporty enough.  It's not a sports car, called SUV or not.  As stated, nothing sporty or utility about the car, it's marketing.  It's a great family car, hatchback, station wagon ... SUV ... it's a marketing label.

Dude, your car gets to 60 in 10 seconds.

Mine get there in 4 seconds.

But you'll still likely be ahead of me. This because it's not a competition and most of us aren't paying attention to how far behind the other cars are.

Who even pays attention to that?

Plus, nobody wants to embarrass the guy with the little drive train. It'd be like a heavyweight fighting a lightweight.

There is absolutely no way you are out performing all cars on the road.

I imagine people see you pull away and ease off the gas so they don't get involved on the accident you'll eventually have.

It's great you love your car but my son just passed his driving test, so ease off a but so you don't take him or someone else with you.

Edited by pedro01
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Dude, your car gets to 60 in 10 seconds.

Mine get there in 4 seconds.

But you'll still likely be ahead of me. This because it's not a competition and most of us aren't paying attention to how far behind the other cars are.

Plus, nobody wants to embarrass the guy with the little drive train. It'd be like a heavyweight fighting a lightweight.

There is absolutely no way you are out performing all cars on the road.

I imagine people see you pull away and ease off the gas so they don't get involved on the accident you'll eventually have.

It's great you love your car but my son just passed his driving test, so ease off a but so you don't take him or someone else with you.

4 second 0-60 mph, hmmm, what car is it..?  ????

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

I was taught a good driver constantly checks their mirrors to know what's around them, JIC.  If I'm leaving a red light, I like to know where others are, depending what lane I'm in or might change to, so I know it's OK to change lanes.

If I'm in fast lane and not going fast then need to know if ok to move to slow lane, or visa versa.  Along with knowing if I can move over if something comes out of a side soi or roadside business.  Like knowing what's around me at all time.  Just good driving skills.

I'm 67 and don't need to stroke my driving ego.  If so, I would have bought a sports car, though wouldn't own one here, or anywhere TBH.  Speed never impressed me, especially in a car.  Saved play time for real motorcycles of days past, and by myself on a nice windy, hilly country road.   Now that's fun.  

I couldn't even tell what the ZS 0-whatever is, as don't care.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

My car here is a Vios , never heard of them but years ago my old Benz was getting too expensive to run + I had to go to Chiang Rai to get it seviced. so I went to a local place and swopped it for the Vios.

What a fine little car , alawys does what is asked of it . Ok I have had more interesting cars in the past , but those were in England.  My first car was a 1938 Hillman Minx , was given to me I passed my test in it and sold it for a fiver. This was in 1968 and I was 21. The au-pair was 18.

IMGP0024 (2).JPG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ohhh... no idea.. .its never been mentioned in about 10 other threads on the motoring forum !!!

Am I jealous !!! Damn right I am !!! - AMG C43 I think - an awesome machine.... 

Z4  M4.0i convertible.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Was she also a minx?

She did have her moments.  After the Hillman with a load of cash from an accident I bought a Morgan. The Au-pair did say ' If you think I am going to in the Morgan you have another think on the way '.( Read with a Dutch accent ).  Lovely lady , would be about 72 now and not as cute.

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:
20 hours ago, pedro01 said:

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I was taught a good driver constantly checks their mirrors to know what's around them, JIC.  If I'm leaving a red light, I like to know where others are, depending what lane I'm in or might change to, so I know it's OK to change lanes.

If I'm in fast lane and not going fast then need to know if ok to move to slow lane, or visa versa.  Along with knowing if I can move over if something comes out of a side soi or roadside business.  Like knowing what's around me at all time.  Just good driving skills.

I'm 67 and don't need to stroke my driving ego.  If so, I would have bought a sports car, though wouldn't own one here, or anywhere TBH.  Speed never impressed me, especially in a car.  Saved play time for real motorcycles of days past, and by myself on a nice windy, hilly country road.   Now that's fun.  

I couldn't even tell what the ZS 0-whatever is, as don't care.

Don't feed the troll @KhunLA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nissan X-Trail 4WD 2.0 Petrol, non-hybrid.

Not my choice, and I joked to the wife as she ordered one at the Motorshow 4 years ago that it should come with a Golden Retriever and a picnic basket as standard.

But over a trouble free 4 years and 80,000 km I've been very impressed by the X-Trail.

Significantly more spacious inside than a pick-up based SUV, such as a Fortuna, due to the absence of a chassis, very quiet, extremely comfortable, decent economy (in 2WD mode), diff lock for loose surfaces (never used ????) and excellent 360' camera system.

Last week we drove from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, then to Mae Hong Son the next day.  Comfortable and surprisingly agile on the mountain bends.  The manual +/- shift option was great on the steep hills.

Would definitely buy another, although the latest version has the 2.5 litre engine which is apparently less smooth and much less economical than the 2.0.

Pros:

Spacious 

Quiet and comfortable 

Economical 

Great ride - probably thanks to Renault

Good price - Significantly cheaper than a Honda CRV for example

Good dealer

360 Camera makes parking easy

Well equipped- split zone auto AC, all around air bags, navigation, large screen, bright headlights and spots, good sound system, auto tailgate, electrical adjustable seats.

Cons:

Depreciation more than a Toyota of a Honda

Steering slightly vague around straight ahead posotion

New version is 2.5 l

I bought a 2018 Mazda 2, 3 years ago, 17,000 km on the odometer. Very pleased with it, brilliant small car with automatic and option of manual on the torque converter gearbox. Agile and surprisingly quick off the mark, easy to park.

TBH, I don't like the modern trend to CVT gearboxes. I've driven a couple ( hire cars ) and I feel my only form of control are the brakes in hilly terrain. While CVT's are supposed to be more economical in fuel consumption, they can really be expensive to fix if they break down, and require stringent maintenance. I guess that's why there are so many Nissan March's and Almeras in the used car yards.

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the excise tax refund scheme has a lot to do with it as well... 

Definitely motivated us, as traded up the Vios for Mazda2.  Wife's 1st car, as Vios in my name, and 100k off a 525k price is a nice discount.   Holding for 5 yrs was no problem, then 7 or 8th year, not worth much, so just gave it to my daughter.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I bought a 2018 Mazda 2, 3 years ago, 17,000 km on the odometer. Very pleased with it, brilliant small car with automatic and option of manual on the torque converter gearbox. Agile and surprisingly quick off the mark, easy to park.

TBH, I don't like the modern trend to CVT gearboxes. I've driven a couple ( hire cars ) and I feel my only form of control are the brakes in hilly terrain. While CVT's are supposed to be more economical in fuel consumption, they can really be expensive to fix if they break down, and require stringent maintenance. I guess that's why there are so many Nissan March's and Almeras in the used car yards.

My 7 year old Suzuki Celerio has the same CVT box as the Nissan March,  

The box still operates like new, I think folk worry too much, there are millions of these boxes out there in operation, just change the fluid at advised times. I change it at 30,000km. ????  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, it is what it is said:

Realistically - Any modern car is going to be decent. 

They all have good safety, they are all comfortable to drive. 

They all have minor niggles, nothing is perfect.

absolutely, anyone around in the 70s/early 80s will know how often cars used to break down, cars are extremely reliable these days.

also, remember tvs? my dad was forever banging the side or top to stop the rising or falling horizontal lines across the screen. or moving the aerial, which sat on top of the tv, around the room to get a decent picture...

ahhh... the good old days...

Ah yes , we had a Pye set I think it was . All sitting round waiting for the 6 0'clock news with Robert Dougal was it.  Set was switched on at 5.55 to allow 5 mins to warm up. If I remember correctly children's TV went off at 5 then nothing 'til 6 to allow mothers to put their kiddiewinks to bed.

1 hour ago, transam said:

My 7 year old Suzuki Celerio has the same CVT box as the Nissan March,  

The box still operates like new, I think folk worry too much, there are millions of these boxes out there in operation, just change the fluid at advised times. I change it at 30,000km. ????  

There's been some horror stories about Nissan CVT's.

Having said that, IIRC the fluid change is specified at 70,000 km, so 30,000 km is a fairly large safety margin. The horror stories most likely come from poor maintenance, or the wrong fluid being used.

Do you find the CVT is rather gutless on the mountain roads?