Successful (60 days) Tourist Visa Obtained from the Thai Embassy Phnom Penh Cambodia. ( 11.04.2022 )

Guest traveller2022

22 minutes ago, ThLT said:

What is best, as a tourist, is to show bank statements from your bank in your home country. If you have a Thai bank account... flash news, you're not a tourist. And you will possibly get refused your tourist visa by an IO who has attention to detail.

That is exactly what I thought when they asked me to provide a Thai Bank statement 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, traveller2022 said:

I personally asked Immigration about changing my STV to a retirement and many agencies. No one would touch it with a barge pole. I thought when I changed it to a Covid Visa I could then do it but again the answer was no. You have to leave the country. I found this very strange being STV stands for Special Tourist Visa. Crazy hey. Yes, it cost be a lot to do the visa run to Cambodia. The same as It would of to return to the UK for a couple of weeks. I made a bit of a holiday out of it. I enjoyed my 7 days in Phnom Penh.

Many thanks for your comment. 

I interviewed 40 agents and officers before finding an immigration office that had different protocols for what they accept and reject.  

None of the roadblocks that were stopping me at one office were national "law".  It's definitely up to the individual local immigration offices on what they permit and don't.

Supposedly I HAD to leave teh country, I could NOT convert from a Volunteer to an ED....etc etc.

Then after many FB ad replies, I got a "no problem, we do these everyday.  Why are you having a problem?  It's not issue.  It'll be done in a few weeks"

Now my visa troubles are over for at least one year.  Feels good.

Prayer granted.  Amen.

31 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I didn't make it up , I applied for a tourist Visa in Savanakhet Laos 

You said, for a tourist visa, it is required to show proof of funds from a Thai bank account:

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

When applying for a tourist visa (for Thailand) in Laos , you are required to show a Thai bank account with 20 000 Baht in it .  

You 100% made that up. And is 100% false.

Here is the the Savanakhet requirements for a tourist visa:

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/104412-tourist-visa?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453f

Bank statement at least 3 months (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

Tourists usually don't have a Thai bank account.

28 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is exactly what I thought when they asked me to provide a Thai Bank statement 

LOL. ???? Then I imagine they refuse every single tourist who doesn't have a Thai bank account... since according to you it's a requirement. ????

Completely contradictory and illogical.

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Thanks Joe. Do you know if Phnom Penh offer a multi entry Non O on the basis of marriage?  I note their website only seems to list single entries but I believe other embassies/consulates also only list single entry's but in fact do offer multi's.

As I recall in pre-covid times, the only regional Thai Consulates that issued a Non-O multi-entry based on marriage and without proof of financials were Savanakhet, Laos and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. The websites for both these consulates presently show the single-entry Non-O based on marriage ONLY. Previously, the HCMC consulate's website did list single-entry and a multi-entry.

There was a push for those claiming non-immigrant status due to marriage or having family here to get a single-entry Non-O and get the 1-year extension issued in country. Maybe they are all in alignment now?

8 minutes ago, ThLT said:

LOL. ???? Then I imagine they refuse every single tourist who doesn't have a Thai bank account... since according to you it's a requirement. ????

Completely contradictory and illogical.

I am just going by my own experiences and I was required to have a Thai bank account  , other people may had used a foreign bank account, I don't know, you would have to ask them .

I do agree with you though , it made no sense at all and people were getting refused Visas with no bank statements 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am just going by my own experiences and I was required to have a Thai bank account  , other people may had used a foreign bank account, I don't know, you would have to ask them .

You can get lucky, present Thai bank account statements, and still get your tourist visa. It doesn't mean it's a good idea, especially for a tourist visa. 

However, in your original post, you said it was a required to have have statements from a Thai bank account. Which again, is false.

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I do agree with you though , it made no sense at all and people were getting refused Visas with no bank statements 

It is required to have bank statements.

2 minutes ago, ThLT said:

You can get lucky, present Thai bank account statements, and still get your tourist visa. It doesn't mean it's a good idea, especially for a tourist visa. 

However, in your original post, you said it was a required to have have statements from a Thai bank account. Which again, is false.

It is required to have bank statements.

Its an extremely good idea to give them a details of your Thai bank account when they ask for one and will refuse you a visa if you don't comply .

They were clamping down on people working illegally at the time and immigration wanted to see peoples bank accounts to see where their income was coming from , there were 100's  , 600 people all applying for visas and many of those were illegal English teachers applying for tourist visas and they wanted to see recent bank statement , there were very few genuine tourists there applying . if any at all 

1 hour ago, ThLT said:

You got lucky. And this is bad advice. A tourist having a Thai bank account is illogical.  Perfect reason for an IO to refuse your visa. 

I disagree. I know a number of people who have been visiting Thailand for a few months each year for many years. They are tourists and probably have seen more of the country than many of us. It is far easier and cheaper for them to open a Thai bank account and transfer money into that each visit than carry around wads of cash or travellers cheques or use the debit card from their own country. Embassies and IO understand that.

It is more likely that your travel history to Thailand or incomplete information is going to trip you up when applying for a visa than having a Thai bank account.

4 minutes ago, Searunner said:

I disagree. I know a number of people who have been visiting Thailand for a few months each year for many years. They are tourists and probably have seen more of the country than many of us. It is far easier and cheaper for them to open a Thai bank account and transfer money into that each visit than carry around wads of cash or travellers cheques or use the debit card from their own country.

It's better to have a Thai bank account than carrying wads of cash? Sure, and?

99.9% of actual tourists just take out money from ATMs. 

If you have a Thai bank account, you're probably not a real tourist.

4 minutes ago, Searunner said:

Embassies and IO understand that.

LOL. So now you can speak Laotian and can read the minds of IOs. ????

Edited by ThLT

23 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its an extremely good idea to give them a details of your Thai bank account when they ask for one and will refuse you a visa if you don't comply .

They were clamping down on people working illegally at the time and immigration wanted to see peoples bank accounts to see where their income was coming from , there were 100's  , 600 people all applying for visas and many of those were illegal English teachers applying for tourist visas and they wanted to see recent bank statement , there were very few genuine tourists there applying . if any at all 

Wow, 600 people applying for a visa, and you know for a fact that "many of those 600 were illegal English teachers applying for tourist visas." You talked with all of them individually? You had a chat with the IO who processed all those 600 visas, in Laotian or broken English, about those 600 illegal teachers requesting tourist visas?

I'm arguing with 2 supernatural psychics here.  ????

Edited by ThLT

Once 

1 hour ago, ThLT said:

You got lucky. And this is bad advice. A tourist having a Thai bank account is illogical.  Perfect reason for an IO to refuse your visa. 

Once again what you are saying is incorrect.yes you can use a Thai bank account to show proof of funds. Please do not tell me this is bad advice.facts are facts, you can use a Thai bank account to show funds. Fact.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Once 

Once again what you are saying is incorrect.yes you can use a Thai bank account to show proof of funds. Please do not tell me this is bad advice.facts are facts, you can use a Thai bank account to show funds. Fact.  

Yes, you can use Thai bank account statements for a tourist visa.

It is a bad idea, and it is 100% bad advice. 

Edited by ThLT

1 minute ago, ThLT said:

Yes, you can use Thai bank account statements for a tourist visa.

It is a bad idea, and it is 100% bad advice. 

Strange, speaking with the officials at the embassy 

in laos and Phnom Penh, they both said to show funds in a Thai bank was fine. Have you actually ever applied  to get a tourist visa in Phnom Penh or loas?

Edited by Daithi85

1 minute ago, Daithi85 said:

Strange, speaking with the officials at the embassy at the em

in laos and Phnom Penh, they both said to show funds in a Thai bank was fine.

I'll call BS on that.

7 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Wow, 600 people applying for visa, and you know for a fact that "many of those 600 were illegal English teachers applying for tourist visas." You talked with them individually? You had a chat with the IO about those 600 people in Laotian?

I'm arguing with 2 supernatural psychics here.  ????

Well , the Consulate staff are Thai and not Loation and many of the applicants were young Filipinos and other Countries where they had adequate English language skills and you didnt need to be a detective to have the suspicion that they weren't going back to Thailand to continue with their long holiday as a tourist 

• Haha 1

Again, if you have a Thai bank account, you're probably not a tourist.

And when applying for a tourist visa, it's best to show bank statements from your home country.

Showing them your rent agreement, and your monthly phone bill, is also a bad idea, but @Daithi85 and @Mac Mickmanus will probably say it's a good idea, when requesting a tourist visa. ????

Edited by ThLT

Just now, ThLT said:

And when applying for a tourist visa, it's best to show bank statements from your home country.

Showing them your rent agreement, and your monthly phone bill, is also a bad idea, but @Daithi85 and @Mac Mickmanus will probably say it's a good idea, when requesting a tourist visa. ????

Yep I agree I thought the same thing, a tourist wouldn't have a Thai bank account, but that's exactly what they asked for. Fact.i have shown my Thai bank account at, Vientiane, Penang, Phnom Penh and savannaket.

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

Whether the rules are logical, I will not comment on. It has long been true that those who enter with a single entry tourist visa, multiple entry tourist visa or visa exempt are eligible the 30-day extension, and also conversion to Non Immigrant visa/entry. From the beginning, the Special Tourist Visa clearly did not allow any normal extensions or the conversion visas. You were entitled only to the two 90-day extensions of the original 90-day permission to stay received on entry with the Special Tourist Visa. [The Covid extension, medical extension and extension for involvement in court case are not normal extensions, and are available regardless of your previous immigration status.] There was no change. It was just that many agents had assumed conversion visas would be possible without reading the rules. They only became aware of the limitation when eventually trying to help their customers.

Completely agree. When I got my STV in April last year every officail statement was loud and clear 'No Conversions' With all land borders shut it was still worth it for me to get a 9 month stay.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThLT said:

Showing them your rent agreement is also a bad idea, but @Daithi85 and @Mac Mickmanus will probably say it's a good idea, when requesting a tourist visa. ????

Again I do agree with you , not sure why you need to keep on saying the same thing, when no one has disagree with you .

The bank statements needed to be recent , from the previous day, if I recall correctly .

If you cannot get a recent bank statement from your home Country , a recent bank statement from a Thai bank is equally as acceptable .

(P.S I am well aware that having a Thai bank statement is contradictory when applying for a tourist visa , no need for you to tell me again , as I didnt disagree with you when you told me the first time, the second time, or the third time)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If you cannot get a recent bank statement from your home Country , a recent bank statement from a Thai bank is equally as acceptable .

Thai bank statements are better than no bank statements, sure. But definitely not "equally acceptable" when applying for a tourist visa. 

If you want to think it's the same, feel free to do so.

Edited by ThLT

2 hours ago, ThLT said:

I wouldn't go this far. Someone who worked or studied in Thailand before and comes back for a holiday might well still have a Thai bank account.

It would take a particularly overzealous consular or immigration officer to question that, and in that case, the outcome might depend on whatever explanation is given.

I do agree with your sentiment though. Personally, I've never used Thai bank statements when applying for a Thai tourist visa.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Thai bank statements are better than no bank statements, sure. But definitely not "equally acceptable" when applying for a tourist visa. 

If you want to think it's the same, feel free to do so.

Both a Thai bank account and a foreign bank account were accepted when applying for a tourist  visa and they were both accepted . 

Its not possible for one to be unequally acceptable , because both were accepted and there was no difference at all . 

Try explaining why a Thai bank account was less acceptable than a Foreign Bank account , when both were accepted .

It doesnt make any sense to suggest that one was less acceptable than the other , when both were accepted equally 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Yep I agree I thought the same thing, a tourist wouldn't have a Thai bank account, but that's exactly what they asked for. Fact.i have shown my Thai bank account at, Vientiane, Penang, Phnom Penh and savannaket.

Can you remember whether they specifically required a Thai Bank account or did they also accept a foreign bank account ?

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Can you remember whether they specifically required a Thai Bank account or did they also accept a foreign bank account ?

I've applied at pretty much each and every nearby Thai consulate over the years, except for Yangon. Not once has my foreign bank statement been questioned, not once was I asked for a Thai bank statement instead.

Sure, this is anecdotal and it might have happened to someone somewhere, sometime. But I've certainly never heard of someone having that problem before. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

I remember they were asking people for a thai account ,I remember this because I thought it was strange,why would tourist's have a Thai bank account. 

Edited by Daithi85

10 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I've applied at pretty much each and every nearby Thai consulate over the years, except for Yangon. Not once has my foreign bank statement been questioned, not once was I asked for a Thai bank statement instead.

Sure, this is anecdotal and it might have happened to someone somewhere, sometime. But I've certainly never heard of someone having that problem before. 

Which years were they though ?

It must have been about 2018 when Savanakhet began asking for Thai Bank statements ; It was just after when Vientiane began restricting tourist visa to 2 or 3 visas per person 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Which years were they though ?

It must have been about 2018 when Savanakhet began asking for Thai Bank statements ; It was just after when Vientiane began restricting tourist visa to 2 or 3 visas per person 

Yes your spot on, savannaket was the go to place because it was so easy,4 back to back visas no problem, then it all changed they started getting very strict, and your dead right they were asking for Thai bank statements.