฿211 million approved for study of Thailand’s first plant-based COVID vaccine

snoop1130

วัคซีนโควิด-19..jpg

The cabinet approved a 211 million baht budget today (Tuesday) for a study of the safety and efficacy of a plant-based candidate sub-unit vaccine in boosting the body’s immune response to COVID-19, the first such vaccine in Thailand being developed by Thai startup Baiya Phytopharm.

The National Vaccine Institute and Baiya Phytopharm have been assigned by the cabinet to prepare a contingency plan, in case the company is unable to conduct more clinical trials of the plant-based candidate vaccine in July as planned, said Deputy Government Spokesperson Traisuree Traisoranakul.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

They were also instructed to expedite implementation of the third phase of the vaccine program, to be sent to the screening committee for approval in two weeks, said Traisuree.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/211-million-approved-for-study-of-thailands-first-plant-based-covid-vaccine/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-12

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the first such vaccine in Thailand being developed by Thai startup Baiya Phytopharm

it would be very interesting to know who exactly is involved in this company - something I imagine would be extremely difficult to find out

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I wonder who owns that?

Founded by Dr. Suthira Taychakhoonavudh and Dr. Waranyoo Phoolcharoen in 2018. Funded by grants from the Chulalongkorn University Alumni, the Thai government and crowdfunding.

Initial research used the leaves of an Australian tobacco plant.

Ref. 

Jan. 17, 2022

www.cnbc.com

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

That amount of money isnt going to go far in vaccine research

Most of it won't be going anywhere near researchers.  In Pattaya there's an annual 'feasibility study' on raised railways; new drains/new sand; all conducted by the mayor's family.

• Like 1

Just now, mikebell said:

Most of it won't be going anywhere near researchers.  In Pattaya there's an annual 'feasibility study' on raised railways; new drains/new sand; all conducted by the mayor's family.

I am being generous as you no doubt realise. I agree with you but even if it all went to research it is a drop in the ocean

7 hours ago, khunPer said:

It seems like we begin to have a lot of healthy choices in Thailand; both plant based, more natural Covid-vaccine; and now also this great option...????

278334837_5058022690953175_6070788565356087931_n.jpg.97fb9f60e78ac1c89ffd17c448c0deef.jpg

I thought all the sexpats had died off.

As for vegan vaccines... how odd

what a waste! I hope the NACC is paying attention and takes a hard look at this, has the hallmarks of misappropriation and ego stroking. buy from the existing stockpile of vaccines - do you really think Thailand will lead a breakthrough vaccine?! how about investing in transportation infrastructure instead, that'll create more jobs and help the economy now and later!

Quote from the linked article (PBS): "“Covifenz” is made from plant proteins which, to the human immune system, look like the virus that causes COVID-19"

From a scientific point of view this raises far more questions for me how this should (or even can) work than it gives confidence. Would need a lot more background information before I could even start to believe this is not a total waste of resources.