Panel Agrees to Promote Thailand as International Medical Hub

snoop1130

989d595b4c5dff910bb7e35c98c77820_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - A government panel has approved five goals to promote Thailand as a global medical tourism destination.

According to Dr Sophon Mekthon, assistant to the public health minister, five health and medical objectives were agreed upon during a recent meeting of the panel overseeing the nation’s development as an international medical hub. Dr Sophon, who also presided over the meeting, said the first goal is to create an Andaman wellness corridor in four southern provinces to provide exceptional medical services and hot springs. Marketing, medical and research components will be organized by the Department of Health Services Support and other divisions.

The panel’s second objective is to launch a wellness industry under a green medicine and creative economy model, using cannabis and traditional herbs to provide medical services and treatments. Authorities will also offer courses on medical history and culture to local communities in order to attract domestic and foreign visitors.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The third goal is to enable people to access cannabis businesses using virtual reality technology, while the fourth goal is to provide world-class medical centers by submitting a list of high-potential hospitals to the Cabinet for consideration. Memoranda of understanding (MOUs) will also be established between international universities and local hospitals.

The panel’s fifth and final goal is to transform the country into an educational center that offers an internationally recognized curriculum in medical, traditional, and alternative medicine.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-04-13

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The panel’s second objective is to launch a wellness industry under a green medicine and creative economy model, using cannabis and traditional herbs to provide medical services and treatments. Authorities will also offer courses on medical history and culture to local communities in order to attract domestic and foreign visitors.

“I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves.”

― Christopher Hitchens, Hitch 22: A Memoir

• Like 1

those 2.5mln medical tourists, who were coming yearly before covid, are gone somewhere else. 

Most probably already had treatments at their own countries. 

You can't wait for a hospital treatment more than a few months.

I would be difficult to get them back now, unless the government throws in some monetary incentives, like lowering taxes on private hospitals, so they would be competitive to the other countries. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The panel’s fifth and final goal is to transform the country into an educational center that offers an internationally recognized curriculum in medical, traditional, and alternative medicine.

That's a big ask.... considering the basic education system now doesn't seem to be able to teach basic English beyond "I am fine and you"

[which would be needed for an international medical hub] 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The panel’s second objective is to launch a wellness industry under a green medicine and creative economy model, using cannabis and traditional herbs to provide medical services and treatments

the pane's second objective will bring more clients or patients, if you prefer, and more money. i'm just guessing

• Like 1

I think India would be a far better choice.  Think movie 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.' 

the nation’s development as an international medical hub.

Rule 1 - allow wild dogs to roam: spreading diseases (including rabies); causing accidents to fill the new hospitals; spreading refuse and faeces; biting children.

• Like 1