Thailand reports record high COVID-19 deaths

webfact

I am in the UK my wife 58 unvaccinated and fit but smokes has tested positive, her step daughters passed it on.

Anyway 5 days in  still no symptoms she tested on day 3 still positive she say she will test again tomorrow I "assume" she's isolating  but she's rather vague on that!

43 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

They basically lost 2 years of life because of restrictions and lockdowns.

They're not the only ones who've lost 2 years of their lives, literally... entire countries have because COVID has shortened average lifespans more than anything since World War II....

COVID-19 pandemic cut life expectancy by most since World War Two –study

"LONDON, Sept 27 (Reuters) - The COVID-19 pandemic reduced life expectancy in 2020 by the largest amount since World War Two, according to a study published on Monday by Oxford University, with the life expectancy of American men dropping by more than two years.

Life expectancy fell by more than six months compared with 2019 in 22 of the 29 countries analysed in the study, which spanned Europe, the United States and Chile. There were reductions in life expectancy in 27 of the 29 countries overall."

(more)

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/covid-19-pandemic-cut-life-expectancy-by-most-since-world-war-two-study-2021-09-26/

AND

U.S. life expectancy falls for 2nd year in a row

April 7, 2022

"Despite the availability of life-saving COVID-19 vaccines, so many people died in the second year of the pandemic in the U.S. that the nation's life expectancy dropped for a second year in a row last year, according to a new analysis.

Many of the deaths occurred in people in the prime of their lives, Woolf says, and drove the overall U.S. life expectancy to fall to 76.6 years — the lowest in at least 25 years."

The 2021 drop came after U.S life expectancy plummeted in 2020, tumbling by almost two years — the biggest one-year fall in U.S. life expectancy since at least World War II.

(more)

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/04/07/1091398423/u-s-life-expectancy-falls-for-2nd-year-in-a-row

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

In the news....

"At a briefing today, however, WHO officials urged countries not to drop their guard, as a few locations report spikes and some—like the United States—see early signs of new rises.

At today's WHO briefing, Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, PhD, said some countries are still seeing serious spikes in cases, which are putting pressure on hospitals. And he warned that the capacity to track COVID-19 trends is compromised as countries reduce testing for the virus.

At today's briefing, the WHO said the emergency committee concluded that the COVID-19 situation still warrants a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC)

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/04/global-covid-cases-fall-cdc-extends-travel-mask-order

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

I don't know in all honesty.  But wouldn't obesity likely be behind most type 2 diabetes for instance.  Maybe we can't neatly differentiate- it's more complex.

Do you believe that Type 2 Diabetics are obese?  I am a Type 2 diabetic due to a surgical procedure that the amount of steroids used shut of my pancreas and thyroid.  Luckily the thyroid kicked back in but unfortunately not the pancreas.  The surgery also caused me to become immunocompromised as well.  Many of the type 2 diabetics I met along the way so far are in great shape, not obese and have inherited it as it has been passed down in the family.  I know plenty of obese people that are chain smokers and eat like <deleted> yet have no issues whatsoever, in fact one of them was my doctor in the US at one time whom I called a hypocrite.  Man lived to be 98. Basically, you can not judge a book by its cover......

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, Anton9 said:

It's also selfish asking young people to keep making sacrifices for a disease that doesn't affect them at all.

They basically lost 2 years of life because of restrictions and lockdowns.

Everyone should take responsibilty for their own health.

Do you truly believe what you wrote?  If so I think your a tad lost Sir.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do you believe that Type 2 Diabetics are obese?  I am a Type 2 diabetic due to a surgical procedure that the amount of steroids used shut of my pancreas and thyroid.  Luckily the thyroid kicked back in but unfortunately not the pancreas.  The surgery also caused me to become immunocompromised as well.  Many of the type 2 diabetics I met along the way so far are in great shape, not obese and have inherited it as it has been passed down in the family.  I know plenty of obese people that are chain smokers and eat like <deleted> yet have no issues whatsoever, in fact one of them was my doctor in the US at one time whom I called a hypocrite.  Man lived to be 98. Basically, you can not judge a book by its cover......

No, I'm sorry if that was badly worded- I didn't mean that at all.  Sorry if I offended.

Obesity is a big risk factor in developing Type 2 diabetes, along with age, ethnicity, and family predisposition.  There are also plenty of thin people who have diabetes2.

What I meant is that obesity is not really a disease, but rather that it is a risk factor in developing  a wide range of chronic illnesses, such as heart disease and diabetes, which may in turn increase the risk of developing severe covid. 

Actually in the UK they made a really big deal of it regarding Covid.

Edited by mommysboy

11 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Even the Thais now realize the SARS-CoV-2 virus is a minimal threat to public health,  especially with most of the country fully vaccinated, so Covid-19 restrictions can be pared back and/or eliminated. 

The type of vaccine with which people are "fully vaccinated" seems top make a difference.

People who got Sinovac vaccine nearly 5 times more likely to develop severe COVID-19 than Pfizer: Singapore study

Michael Yong 

14 Apr 2022 12:48PM (Updated: 14 Apr 2022 01:43PM)

SINGAPORE: People who took Sinovac’s CoronaVac vaccine are nearly five times more likely to develop severe symptoms from COVID-19 than those who received the Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty vaccine, a Singapore study has found.

The study, published on Tuesday (Apr 12), involved about 2.7 million people in Singapore aged 20 and above who received two doses under the national vaccination programme.

It covered a seven-week period in 2021 from Oct 1 to Nov 21, when cases in Singapore surged due to the Delta variant.

Read more: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/covid-19-vaccines-sinovac-pfizer-moderna-singapore-study-2625511

8 minutes ago, Puccini said:

The type of vaccine with which people are "fully vaccinated" seems top make a difference.

Any actual figures, so we can see what 5 times more likely actually means?

At worst one is a very good vaccine, and one an ok vaccine.

Long term T cell protection is also important.

Well now........

Not interested in reading through 90+ posts to see if this point has been made already. Apoligies if it has. But...........

The early comments about Covid deaths and their proximity to the beginning of Songkran............. comments like "It's only the second day of Songkran and Covid deaths are already at a record high".......... are utter nonsense.

We've known for upwards of two years now that death from Covid follows infection/diagnosis by 2 to 3 weeks, typically. First the person goes through escalating levels of treatment that will hopefully reverse the course. When these ultimately prove futile, the person dies. That takes 2 to 3 weeks!

It's not now and never has been, "Bam, you're sick........ Bam, you're dead!"

Therefore.......... the number of deaths that are occurring yesterday, today, and tomorrow........ and all through Songkran............ have absolutely nothing  to do with Songkran! These are almost always going to be people who were infected/diagnosed WEEKS before the Songkran Festival!

Reporting "record Covid deaths" in relation to the beginning of Songkran is........... well........... [insert unkind, intelligence-questioning adjective here!]

????????????

Cheers!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Yes, in the news article to which there is a link in my post:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/covid-19-vaccines-sinovac-pfizer-moderna-singapore-study-2625511

...A total of 107,220 of those vaccinated were confirmed by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests to have COVID-19 over the study period, and 644 developed severe disease...

4.59 is "nearly five times" higher than 1.00 (highlighting in red is mine)

Vaccine IRR of infection IRR of severe disease
Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty 1.00 1.00
Moderna 0.84 0.42
Sinovac 2.37 4.59
Sinopharm 1.62 1.58

(IRR = adjusted incident rate ratio)

“Individuals vaccinated with two doses

51 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

At worst one is a very good vaccine, and one an ok vaccine.

Long term T cell protection is also important.

I think..........

When one has been called "95% effective" from the very beginning......... and the other has been called "75% effective" from the very beginning......... (apologies if I don't remember the percentages exactly perfectly! 555)..............

...........Then it appears that someone has just found a new and exciting and dramatic and scary way to say the exact same thing we've known all along!

Y'see......... if one "fails to protect the recipients" 5% of the time........ and the other "fails to protect the recipients" 25% of the time.......... then the second one "fails to protect its recipients".......... at a rate that's FIVE TIMES the rate of the first one!

But that's just an overly dramatic way of saying the exact same thing as.......... "95% effective" vs "75% effective!" And that's EXACTLY what's been said from the very beginning!

Don't let yourself get hoodwinked by intentionally deceptive phrasing! People who breathlessly want to compare the rates of things, contrasting one rate to another as if that was a meaningful and valid comparison....... RARELY care about a conscientious and honest  exchange of information! They just want to be DRAMATIC!

????????????

Cheers!

PS --- Remember Mark Twain and his "Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics!" 555

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy
  • Like 2

Thailand reports year-high record total of 119 new COVID-19 deaths

COV15.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Friday (April 15) reported 20,289 new COVID-19 cases, 24,969 recoveries and 119 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1256847-thailand-reports year-high-record total-of-119-new-covid-19-deaths/

//CLOSED//

/Admin