The death of music

sipi

2 minutes ago, tjintx said:

Ah, that's why they were one of Alan Partridge's favorite bands!   Along with Abba and Wings (after the Beatles were his backup band).

What ARE you on about please?

Ok. Number 1 Eminem is hardly pop music.

2 that song was done with rick rubin as a homage to the old 80s 90s rap rhat a lot of people loved. All the samples and cuts were at least 20 years old only the lyrics were new so hardly a modern song

3 every generation endlessly moans about how THEIR music, movies, lifestyle was the best and everything since is <deleted> obviously forgetting those experiences were in the prime of their lives and therefore looked back upon more fondly. Also blatantly ignoring the fact they are for all intents and purposes ancient and have zero connection to what the youth connect to.

So in 50 years from now when your long buried some other old fart will post on here saying how their music was the best and i dont understand what the <deleted> these kids are listening to these days.

Edited by starky
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed that's how most of us ( I suppose), of the older age group heard music we liked for the first time- on the radio. If we liked it we went to the record store and bought the 45 and if we liked that we bought the LP.

Some of us actually have lives that don't involve spending hours on google to find stuff we like. Some of us actually have more important things to do.

All you are doing is showing your age and inflexibility. Google? Who searches for music on Google? ????

You are not evolving, but simply stagnating. You sound as if you have already given up.

You can go to YouTube and browse by Genre or musical style; Jazz, Classical....or even just by instrument: Woodwind, bowed instruments and then just listen. Takes seconds. There is so much out there. Seek and you shall find.

Instead you choose to live in the past.

On 4/16/2022 at 7:34 PM, CharlieH said:

What I find curious, is whenever you see a talent show the artists are invariably performing a song from the last century !

Cant remember ever seeing/hearing one from the last 10 years even.

Also, there seems to be a trend of taking an "oldie" and mixing it with a current.

Case in point........

Thanks Charlie.

Yeah again, that was basically what I was trying to say.

On 4/16/2022 at 11:02 PM, Salerno said:

Nope, your just getting old and are set in your tastes. The same question is posed by the vast majority of all generations, some move with the times and their tastes evolve, not necessarily replacing what they enjoy but adding to it.

Yeah I'm set in my tastes.

As are my kids and grandkids..

It must be us.

Anyone for The Wiggles"?

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed that's how most of us ( I suppose), of the older age group heard music we liked for the first time- on the radio. If we liked it we went to the record store and bought the 45 and if we liked that we bought the LP.

Some of us actually have lives that don't involve spending hours on google to find stuff we like. Some of us actually have more important things to do.

Generally the music we like is in part due to where and when we were during our formative years. It is different for all. 

In the mean time there is http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/radioplayer4/index.html?v=1650265096834 for those from the appropriate when/where?

• Like 1

Music is less important to younger people than when we were younger. I no longer disdain people who like The Eagles; I used to view them as deluded sheeple. I watched High Fidelity with a young person recently and they could not understand any of the motivations of any of the characters.

Who cares which Dylan album was "transformational"? Why were they mad at the man who wanted to buy Stevie Wonder's Life Of Plants album?

I explained that when I was younger, that I took a lot of pride in being a Blues purist. But then I had to explain what the blues were.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, starky said:

Ok. Number 1 Eminem is hardly pop music.

2 that song was done with rick rubin as a homage to the old 80s 90s rap rhat a lot of people loved. All the samples and cuts were at least 20 years old only the lyrics were new so hardly a modern song

3 every generation endlessly moans about how THEIR music, movies, lifestyle was the best and everything since is <deleted> obviously forgetting those experiences were in the prime of their lives and therefore looked back upon more fondly. Also blatantly ignoring the fact they are for all intents and purposes ancient and have zero connection to what the youth connect to.

So in 50 years from now when your long buried some other old fart will post on here saying how their music was the best and i dont understand what the <deleted> these kids are listening to these days.

I've taken my kids to see Australians finest rock bands for the last 2 years. They were bored to death, other kids were bored to death. We walked out of most of them.

Bored, just plain bored.

I'll edit this to say that the front 2 rows were having a ball. But they were 65 year old fat, drunk, tattoo'd women with really bad body odor, who could barely stand.

Edited by sipi
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 7:37 PM, Nickelbeer said:

Old people (like me) and young people, do not generally like the same music. That seems obvious to most of us. I am perfectly willing to let the young have their music without judgement. If I were their age, I would be consuming the same kind of entertainment. I really have no patience with old people who complain about "these kids today". You sound like fossils.

I'm hearing you. My kids and I love music, will what's left of it.

Can you do me a favour and personally recommend 5 bands no older than 5 years I can take my kids to and they'll enjoy please?

Thanks in advance.

On the bright side, I should grab some of these as investments before they're all dead.

Won't have long to wait.

https://taylormadememorabilia.com.au/?s=Music+&post_type=product

9 hours ago, sipi said:

I just listen to music. I don't follow bands, never have. One of their songs might be brilliant all the others rubbish.

I'm not young chronologically.

Maybe young people don't listen to music anymore? Too busy with video games or gossiping on social media?

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

I'm thinking Coachella might be the closest thing to supergroups live these days.

Sounds more like a Hillsong gospel crusade to me and my kids don't live it.

That's the music of tomorrow.

• Confused 1

On 4/18/2022 at 12:10 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not sure sure about that. When I was a teenager everybody loved big speakers and big ghetto blasters. Now it seems more people use headphones and/or little Bluetooth speakers.

zQBZFTrQdLekxtI0zu0dfB3rl9e0n3OUwJf4VoAt

Not where I lived.

Anyway the electronic garbage they like to blast at volume 11 hadn't been invented back then. It's not the music per se that's annoying, but the beat that is all one can hear at half a kilometer away. It's like someone hitting one's wall with a hammer over and over for hours.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

I just listen to music. I don't follow bands, never have. One of their songs might be brilliant all the others rubbish.

I'm not young chronologically.

Maybe young people don't listen to music anymore? Too busy with video games or gossiping on social media?

It's background noise to them IMO. I doubt they sit down and actually listen to it.

10 hours ago, sipi said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3JFwgyF8YE/?igshid=18efxluxrc3xk

Hey don't get me some wrong, nothing wrong with meeting singers who have been around for 40 years, but I'd hardly call that modern music.

Does it matter when it was made? Vivaldi's music is as enjoyable now as when he made it. The electronic stuff kids listen to now will probably be forgotten in a year or less. Disposable music like everything else the young like.