Thai spirit house rules and Thai animism intro

RamenRaven

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

I would suggest walking in to a local Wat and seek out an English speaker.

He/they should have all the answers you need I would have thought.

I am not that deeply curious and the wife answers the superficial stuff, but mostly I have no interest in knowing but respect her beliefs and leave her to it.

Doubt that you would get your answers there. Its pre Buddhist and not really related. I've always found Thais reluctant/embarrassed to talk about it. Mainly involves Jao Thi, inhabitant of the little spirit houses at the entrance to many people's drives. Basically, the spirits of those who have previously inhabited that land.

Often used to see girls scattering whiskey round the perimeter of the bar at opening. Girls always claimed it was "for Buddha" and would say no more, it was actually for Jao Thi.

Easy test to indicate whether a tribute is for Jao Thi or Buddah, Buddah never drinks alcohol, Jao Thi loves a drop!

• Like 1

Just ask ya missus she will know the rules.  If ya don't have a missus then doesn't really matter what rules ya follow. This is Thailand the very basics is about as complicated as it gets. Dont quote me but i reckon it varies from village to village and province to province. Thus no hard and fast rules. As long as ya not taking food from other peoples spirit houses.

On a side note how hard up are you that you want to eat food from spirit houses? 

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, polpott said:

Its pre Buddhist and not really related.

Then why, when I needed to move the spirit house at my business premises, did my staff inist on the monks coming round to perform their stuff both before and after the removal of the spirit house?

Edited by DezLez
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Then why, when I needed to move the spirit house at my business premises, did my staff inist on the monks coming round to perform their stuff both before and after the removal of the spirit house?

Indeed, my wife said they should come to tell us where it should be placed too.

• Like 1

We have friends, an American couple, who are very devout Christians and are uncomfortable with having a spirit house at their rented house in Chiang Mai.  They asked the owner if they could remove it and she refused.  So, at my suggestion they turned it into a year-round nativity scene, with figurines they brought from America.  The owner lives overseas and hasn't seen it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Because it's a mishmash of beliefs and monks are involved in a lot of things that are not part of Buddhism. What he said is quite correct. Thai belief systems have taken on many different influences that are now overlapping. 

Which is all the more reason to go to a temple and ask them about "so called" non Buddhist activities, their involvemnt in them, and your actions etc, etc!

3 useful concepts of animism:  1) objects acquire power over time 2) objects can woo spirits and then eventually belong to spirits. 3) the spirits are alway a little unreliable, so they need a little help.

That's why your souvenir lingham is on a high shelf and why (1) people add little figures to their house over time (to increase the power of the spirit house) (2) items should not be touched (interrupts the power accumulation) (3) they eventually drink the red Fanta (prosperity color) and eat the food when the spirits fail to show up and do so.

Items like garlands are usually disposed of at a wat: a lot of sacred sites like Sukhothai have interesting Nang Kwak and Spirit House graveyards just down the road. 

Animists believe that the spirits are alway with them and either mad at them, happy with them, or indifferent. So no real diff from Jesus-belief, for instance.

Think of Angkor Wat; it was built as a series of residences to tempt gods down from the heavens to dwell on earth. Angkor Wat is basically a very large spirit house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LaosLover said:

3 useful concepts of animism:  1) objects acquire power over time 2) objects can woo spirits and then eventually belong to spirits. 3) the spirits are alway a little unreliable, so they need a little help.

That's why your souvenir lingham is on a high shelf and why (1) people add little figures to their house over time (to increase the power of the spirit house) (2) items should not be touched (interrupts the power accumulation) (3) they eventually drink the red Fanta (prosperity color) and eat the food when the spirits fail to show up and do so.

That explains why all those "science nerd" questions about spirits sound completely irrelevant and downright weird to people who believe in animism.

The spirits aren't quantifiable, to be measured and classified according to the scientific method.

It's more Freudian and Jungian, rather than Darwinian or Newtonian.

8 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

Typical farang Q: Where do the spirits come from? How are spirits born, and do they procreate? Did they exist since eternity or did they spawn within the past 100 years? Would it be theoretically possible to identify each and every individual spirit with a baht pratchachon (ID card), or do they flash in and out of existence so often that it wouldn't be possible?

Typical Thai A: Looks stumped for a few seconds and then says, "Yes, in Thailand we believe in many kinds of spirits. Like tree spirits and house spirits. They just exist in there. Sometimes you dream about them too. If we are good to them, they help us."

That leaves the farang thinking, "Well yes, I know that, but I was looking for a very exact scientific description of what a spirit is really like."

I'm 100% sure that it's not a language barrier issue.

They simply have trouble understanding our deductive kind of thinking, because the animism here simply isn't a dogmatic Abrahamic religion.

Edited by RamenRaven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thai people are uniquely generous in letting outsiders into their animist beliefs.

Go to an Indian reservation or town in Africa and ask about their beliefs. Stone stares all around. Whereas a cab drive in Bangkok will talk to you for the length of the ride most of the time.

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2022 at 7:35 PM, RamenRaven said:

I bought some souvenirs from India and gave them to a Thai family, like mini lingams and small framed pictures of Hindu goddesses. The were then placed on top of a shelf, and then they became "sacred." What's the symbolism behind that? I just thought they were cool tourist souvenirs, but Thais see them as religious objects.

Remember Hinduisn is estimated to have been establihed approx 5,000 years ago, roughly 2,500 years before the advent of Buddhism. I have provided a link below which talks to Hindu influences within Thai buddhism, As a simple example the blue coloured figures you can observe in Thai buddhist temples represent gods from Hindu mythology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism_in_Thailand#:~:text=Hinduism is a minority religion,of the Hindu epic Ramayana.

For some more research below is a link describing the spiritual representation of ligams in Hinduism and Buddhism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingam#:~:text=According to the Linga Purana,the entire Universe in it.

Edited by simple1

'Waiing' these various landmarks, spirit houses, etc. is a quick shortcut to 'appearing local.'   (if you want to project that image for whatever reason)

Advanced: do it while driving.   

• Haha 2

On 4/17/2022 at 9:19 AM, DezLez said:

Because its related The Sangha works closely  with spiritualists. Check out  Loei

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

If the Spirits have nowhere to go of their own, they go into your house on the land and cause trouble.

Sounds like Halloween! I think the Celts and their descendants made offerings on All Souls' Days that to placate wandering spirits.

In Thailand, the spirits are often, but not always, from the souls of deceased people right?

24 minutes ago, RamenRaven said:

Sounds like Halloween! I think the Celts and their descendants made offerings on All Souls' Days that to placate wandering spirits.

In Thailand, the spirits are often, but not always, from the souls of deceased people right?

I think the spirit houses on property are meant for spirits of deceased relatives because traditionally the land would be passed down. They could be partially for just spirits inhabiting the land though.

There's other stuff like spirits in trees and boats etc but the Thai's do other things for them like tying those colorful scarfs around the trunks of trees and on the bow of the old wooden fishing boats.

There is a crematorium in Chiang Mai where families have put up hundreds of spirit houses around a large tree by the enterance. The spirits probably flew towards the closest large tree after the service so they put many spirit houses there. It is very beautiful.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1