What does the proposed ASEAN visa mean for visitors to Thailand who have spent time in other ASEAN countries?

Apparently an ASEAN-wide visa is expected to be launched in the next year or so. It will be similar to a Schengen visa in that it will be valid in all the member states. The system will involve more sharing of information between the member states and is obviously a step towards a common visa policy. In the Schengen area that has meant limits on how long you can spend in individual countries being replaced by limits on how long you can spend in the bloc as a whole, so you can't ping pong between say France and Spain and stay in the region indefinitely. Is a similar thing on the horizon in this region? Will a visa for a trip to Thailand followed by one for a trip to Vietnam followed by one for Singapore come to be seen as 3 back-to-back visas? I usually spend about 5 months of the year in Thailand - so no problem currently - but I spend at least 10 months of the year in ASEAN. Should I be worried?

• Confused 1

most of sea countries do charge for visa some $30.

So travellers would enter thailand or malaysia visa exempt and cross unlimited times to the other countries for some 3-6 months.

I don't think those countries would agree, huge loss of revenue for them

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

“Launched in the next year or so”…. looking at the long delays in any changes in Thailand only policies, If I were a betting Tyrell, I’d say the odds were better for “in the next year or five”

• Like 1

14 hours ago, geisha said:

Personally, doubt very much this will even come to the board room.  Where did you hear/ see this report ?

The only people being specific about the year are these guys who look to be trying to corner the market ahead of time. Somewhere on the main ASEAN site there is a 10-year plan that started in about 2015 and includes the common visa as a target for the second half of that period. There's a regular ministerial meeting where they apparently discuss it, so it's already reached the board room, but it could well be they just say what a good idea it would be to have something like that one day and then move on. Looks like it's an aspiration but no more than that for now. I have a good few years till I can get a retirement visa but after that it shouldn't matter to me, so fingers crossed.