Thailand’s #MeToo moment? Political sex assault scandal sparks debate, calls for change

webfact

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is considered rape is a legal definition, and it varies all over the world.

Experts can argue about that and I am sure not all experts (what's a rape expert?) agree what is rape.

For some sexual activities men would go to jail in some countries and they wouldn't be punished at all in other countries.

We can all have our own idea of what we call rape. Like we can all have our ideas what we call harassment. 

And those ideas don't have to match legal definitions.

But obviously we must recognize that what matters legally are the legal definitions and not our opinions. 

Many of the views you have expressed over several threads relating to how survivors of sexual assault should react to such and the manner you resort to blaming such survivors have been distasteful (and I am being very polite in my choice of word here) to read.

Everyone should be thankful you have no connection to the legal system.  

The views you express do matter in that they perpetuate attitudes towards those who are assaulted by predatory scum that add to the trauma suffered by survivors. 

They represent views that need to be countered at every turn. 

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Many of the views you have expressed over several threads relating to how survivors of sexual assault should react to such and the manner you resort to blaming such survivors have been distasteful (and I am being very polite in my choice of word here) to read.

The views you express do matter in that they perpetuate attitudes towards those who are assaulted by predatory scum that add to the trauma suffered by survivors. 

Everyone has their right to their own opinion but some others consider their opinion is more worthy than others. A touch of "Animal Farm" in reality.  

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

Everyone has their right to their own opinion but some others consider their opinion is more worthy than others. A touch of "Animal Farm" in reality.  

Nonsense. You really should think about what animal farm is about before making such ludicrous comparisons. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Nonsense. You really should think about what animal farm is about before making such ludicrous comparisons. 

Clearly the context of my statement was well above your understanding.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

You obviously write a response to all my comments and counter my views.

Mostly you just use words like victims, victim blaming, mansplaining, and other woke words.

It seems you believe all women. And you think all men are bad. And anybody who questions your world view is one of the bad guys.

I think we mostly disagree about what we both think do other people think. It seems you think most people think like you that all women are angels and/or victims and they always tell the truth. I think otherwise. And I think that lots of guys in this forum experienced in Thailand and "back home" lying women.

If you don't accept that lots of women lie is your problem, not our problem.

What I try to do is to be a voice against lots of crazy woke and/or feminists views. Lots of guys think those feminists are crazy but many guys don't like to talk about that. It's so much easier to let those feminists just talk and ignore them.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you believe all women. And you think all men are bad. And anybody who questions your world view is one of the bad guys.

Where did I say this? 

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you think most people think like you that all women are angels and/or victims and they always tell the truth.

Where did I say this?

My posts have solely aimed at your attempts to lecture survivors on how they should behave and your victim blaming. 

Likely an unpopular, minority opinion, but I believe there should be a statute of limitations--both legally and with public opinion--on some dumb male and female behavior with regard to sex.  Obviously, with rape, no.  But, with some other behaviors that were once considered ok but have now, years later, become suspect, yes.  How about the now popular 'inappropriate groping or touching'?  That seems to be an accusation that women, and some men, find useful to recall--and often from years and years ago.  And, if one was inappropriately groped or touched, that can also be deemed sexual harassment.  Bring on the lawsuits.

But, hey, just the other evening I was watching an old episode of Friends and Joey did just that.  It was the episode where Chandler and Phoebe were pretending to seduce each other.  In one scene, Joey not only gropes Phoebe without her permission but then proceeds to rip open her sweater, exposing her bra, in front of her friends.   Big laughs and applause from the 1990s studio audience.  Phoebe looked delighted.  1990s me would have laughed, too.   2022 me went whoa!  

My point on the statute of limitations is that nobody found anything wrong with that behavior then.  It was so ok it was broadcast on a mainstream tv network, which had to maintain 'community standards' to retain the license to broadcast.  Inappropriate groping--not to mention ripping open a woman's clothing--got big laughs and applause in the 1990s.  Today, it's viewed altogether differently.  What is deemed as 'appropriate' has changed.  But, what isn't appropriate, in my opinion, is going back 15 or 20 years or more, through faded and perhaps inaccurate memories, and coming up with accusations that, in some instances, reflect more a case of dumb, and now inappropriate, behavior.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Where did I say this? 

Where did I say this?

My posts have solely aimed at your attempts to lecture survivors on how they should behave and your victim blaming. 

I think I understand a point he's making that you don't.  You're saying he should not lecture survivors/victims on how they should behave but if the women are lying or willingly entering into a relationship  and then because of woke attititudes  change their story are they surviors?   Courtney Stoden who at 16 married an actor 51 years old and demanded that she have that right as she was mature enough ( her body certainly was) Many people argued she was too young, and now she is saying was too young and was a victim of grooming and is writing a book about it.

https://people.com/tv/courtney-stodden-opens-up-about-ex-doug-hutchison-alleged-grooming-upcoming-book/

Even Pam Shriver comes out now to say she was having innapropiate relationship with her coach at 17 and then started sleeping with him at 20. So now 40 years later she realses maybe she shouldn't have been sleeping with a married man, feels guilty about it so tells her story to protect other women.  So how many go into a relationship and then recant their  reason.  Had a case in US where a college girl  blamed a sports team for gang raping her ---case was dismissed after film showed she was inebriated but a willing participant and was not forced or held down. They sometimes regret their actions so cry a crime was commited.  Had a girl at work grab my ass when I was talking to a female supervisor. I jumped. Sup asked "did she touch you? "  I said "no she bumpt me and I wasn;t expecting it."  Another time I was on phone wearing cut off shirt, girl raised it up. I said "what are you doing?" She said "I wanted to see if you dye your chest hair" If I raised a girl's shirt saying I wanted to see what color bra you have on they would be removing me in hand cuffs and probably be beating my ass.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tennis/pam-shriver-reveals-inappropriate-relationship-at-17-with-her-coach/ar-AAWpG8p?li=BBnb7Kz

2 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

I think I understand a point he's making that you don't.  You're saying he should not lecture survivors/victims on how they should behave but if the women are lying or willingly entering into a relationship  and then because of woke attititudes  change their story are they surviors?   Courtney Stoden who at 16 married an actor 51 years old and demanded that she have that right as she was mature enough ( her body certainly was) Many people argued she was too young, and now she is saying was too young and was a victim of grooming and is writing a book about it.

https://people.com/tv/courtney-stodden-opens-up-about-ex-doug-hutchison-alleged-grooming-upcoming-book/

Even Pam Shriver comes out now to say she was having innapropiate relationship with her coach at 17 and then started sleeping with him at 20. So now 40 years later she realses maybe she shouldn't have been sleeping with a married man, feels guilty about it so tells her story to protect other women.  So how many go into a relationship and then recant their  reason.  Had a case in US where a college girl  blamed a sports team for gang raping her ---case was dismissed after film showed she was inebriated but a willing participant and was not forced or held down. They sometimes regret their actions so cry a crime was commited.  Had a girl at work grab my ass when I was talking to a female supervisor. I jumped. Sup asked "did she touch you? "  I said "no she bumpt me and I wasn;t expecting it."  Another time I was on phone wearing cut off shirt, girl raised it up. I said "what are you doing?" She said "I wanted to see if you dye your chest hair" If I raised a girl's shirt saying I wanted to see what color bra you have on they would be removing me in hand cuffs and probably be beating my ass.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tennis/pam-shriver-reveals-inappropriate-relationship-at-17-with-her-coach/ar-AAWpG8p?li=BBnb7Kz

In the drawing office early sixties we had a lovely tracer nicknamed Totty.  Quite common during the lunchbreak after the pub to ask her to "show us your tits".  She would as well, can't imagine being able to do that now or even wanting too.   After all she will now be in her late seventies ????

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

I fully understand what the poster was doing and find it distasteful as I would anyone engaging in victim blaming. 

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Just how serious is this? It sounds like you are up to speed on this development and can share your "thoughts".

The Swanson Frozen Dinner heir told me that male virility can be enhanced with Testicle Tanning? Did that work for you?

More than happy to let you experiment with lasers on the testicles.

It is an absolute fact about virility declining, as men accept higher and higher degrees of emasculation, in my opinion. Sperm counts and testosterone are dropping too, over the past 50 years. Read up on it. Many studies have been done. Gen Z could be a factor. So could SIMP culture. 

A new study finds that a drop in testosterone levels over time is more likely to result from a man's behavioral and health changes than by aging. The study results will be presented June 25 at The Endocrine Society's 94th Annual Meeting in Houston.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120623144944.htm

Edited by spidermike007

3 hours ago, newnative said:

Likely an unpopular, minority opinion, but I believe there should be a statute of limitations--both legally and with public opinion--on some dumb male and female behavior with regard to sex.  Obviously, with rape, no.  But, with some other behaviors that were once considered ok but have now, years later, become suspect, yes.  How about the now popular 'inappropriate groping or touching'?  That seems to be an accusation that women, and some men, find useful to recall--and often from years and years ago.  And, if one was inappropriately groped or touched, that can also be deemed sexual harassment.  Bring on the lawsuits.

But, hey, just the other evening I was watching an old episode of Friends and Joey did just that.  It was the episode where Chandler and Phoebe were pretending to seduce each other.  In one scene, Joey not only gropes Phoebe without her permission but then proceeds to rip open her sweater, exposing her bra, in front of her friends.   Big laughs and applause from the 1990s studio audience.  Phoebe looked delighted.  1990s me would have laughed, too.   2022 me went whoa!  

My point on the statute of limitations is that nobody found anything wrong with that behavior then.  It was so ok it was broadcast on a mainstream tv network, which had to maintain 'community standards' to retain the license to broadcast.  Inappropriate groping--not to mention ripping open a woman's clothing--got big laughs and applause in the 1990s.  Today, it's viewed altogether differently.  What is deemed as 'appropriate' has changed.  But, what isn't appropriate, in my opinion, is going back 15 or 20 years or more, through faded and perhaps inaccurate memories, and coming up with accusations that, in some instances, reflect more a case of dumb, and now inappropriate, behavior.   

And the burden on proof is nearly nonexistent. She said it happened. No witnesses, no videotape, nothing. Just she said. Please. There had to be some burden of proof on the accuser, especially when a single accusation can ruin a life and trash a career. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I love this video about mansplaining. Enjoy!

It would have helped if he hadn't spoken over her so much but he's correct. His actions may well have been patronising, condescending ect but that would have been the case regardless of his gender.