Electric Vehicles in Thailand

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

A little (false) pressure sales, as I believe the incentives was a set amount, yet to be used up, or even close to, and I believe don't expire till 2025.

image.png.8afbb27d93779b5729ab414554dd9a6b.png

source

Possibly but we'd already paid for our Neta when the salesperson told us the subsidies would be ending at the end of the year 555.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

BYD Dolphin price announcement:

Standard range : 699,999 baht

Extended range : 859,999 baht 

No more free home charger , now 25,000 baht.

@Gweiloman

IMG_0924.thumb.jpeg.fbe75682972e86f7343075bc7743062e.jpeg

Spec (charging) not much different from MGs (EP, ES, MG4, ZS), so should accept any universal charging cable.   Got to be cheaper than ฿25k

image.png.880a5d9f16a812eb1b771668e0ff3cee.png

On LAZ from ฿9k & up

image.png.6baa8076435b566e6a6b4e789724cf81.png

image.png.d8e9f10d132775b27bd27403625c5565.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Spec (charging) not much different from MGs (EP, ES, MG4, ZS), so should accept any universal charging cable.   Got to be cheaper than ฿25k

On LAZ from ฿9k & up

image.png.6baa8076435b566e6a6b4e789724cf81.png

image.png.d8e9f10d132775b27bd27403625c5565.png

Installed? 

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Stuck for space in the car port ?

Here’s how the smaller EV’s shape up.

IMG_0925.jpeg

That's one of things I like about the ZS, only 4323mm long.  Really looks short when parked next to a Fortuna ????

About the only thing I didn't care for with the EP, as 4544mm long.  Aside from that, they had similar specs and EP being ฿180k cheaper.  What a bargain ????

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's one of things I like about the ZS, only 4323mm long.  Really looks short when parked next to a Fortuna ????

About the only thing I didn't care for with the EP, as 4544mm long.  Aside from that, they had similar specs and EP being ฿180k cheaper.  What a bargain ????

Fortuner is only ~4.800, so it not that much shorter. Turning radius on the 'tuna is only ~5,800, what is it on the ZS? 

36 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Fortuner is only ~4.800, so it not that much shorter. Turning radius on the 'tuna is only ~5,800, what is it on the ZS? 

Shy of 1/2 meter, that's long to me when trying to park.  

TR - 5600 (?)  wheelbase of 2585mm

image.png.40ec4168c36a1b7fb66ba8ca66f9cb0c.png

Edited by KhunLA

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Shy of 1/2 meter, that's long to me when trying to park.  

TR - 5600 (?)  wheelbase of 2585mm

image.png.40ec4168c36a1b7fb66ba8ca66f9cb0c.png

I never have a problem with parking depth. It's the width that's the issue with the 'tuna. 

25 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Nice infographic, do you have anymore? My MG HS PHEV is perfect for transporting our dogs.

IMG_1018.jpeg.92806083b842484247a36cf04c6ea280.jpeg

Nope

They just pop up on the FB groups I follow and as the Dolphin is “flavour of the month “ there’s plenty of comparison with MG4 and Good Cat.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Nice infographic, do you have anymore? My MG HS PHEV is perfect for transporting our dogs.

IMG_1018.jpeg.92806083b842484247a36cf04c6ea280.jpeg

Transport, I wish ... mine sits on my lap, requiring constant massage while there.   No wonder she loves riding in the car.  Refused to sit in the back.

After an hour or so, she move over to the wife's lap w/bed and take a nap.  Until she hears the GPS say turn left into the charging station, then she's wide awake and crying to go out for a P ????

Yes, also love the graphs, as puts things in perspective.  Why I like our 'short' SUV (ZS), and after @Yellowtail reply, I peeked, and the 'tuna' is only <5cm wider than our ZS, though almost a 1/2 meter longer.

Another interesting graph would be prices of 'made in TH' entry level ICE vehicles vs entry level BEVs vs entry level Japanese entry level imports.

My comparisons have noticed the NETA V being cheaper than most entry level Japanese badged ICE cars 'made in TH', the MG EP being same price as top end versions of the same.   Then the Japanese imports, being almost 2X the price of the MG EP.

Quite the contrast, considering operating & maintenance cost of EVs.  Aside from performance.

When the incentives disappear, only adding 150k baht to most EVs, as only the MG ZS & EP got that 240k ish baht incentive, rest all in the 150k baht range, I really don't think it will affect the sales #s.

No need for any performance graphs, as Google and fastest or most powerful cars (for a price) and EVs will top those lists.

Only advantage now of ICE cars, is range, and that comes at a price, petrol vs electric.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

@BKKBike09

Can I ask, do the voice commands on the Atto 3 work as well here as they appear to do on the AUS and NZ versions ? ( YouTube videos )

In particular the ability to change fan speed, temperature or audio volume and channels etc ?

Seems like a great alternative to fumbling with the screen while driving.

Disappointed that the voice commands on MG and Haval are only in Thai language here, although both these have limited commands anyway.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Haha 1

I have just done a trip from BKK to Chang Mai left at 10am arrived at around 5pm, took me 7 hours including stops. That was after a splash of diesel to fill up when I started off. Question How long would it take and cost in an EV. Then again. Could you even make it in daylight??? This is not a joke I'm being serious.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

@BKKBike09

Can I ask, do the voice commands on the Atto 3 work as well here as they appear to do on the AUS and NZ versions ? ( YouTube videos )

In particular the ability to change fan speed, temperature or audio volume and channels etc ?

Seems like a great alternative to fumbling with the screen while driving.

Disappointed that the voice commands on MG and Haval are only in Thai language here, although both these have limited commands anyway.

I assume they do, in either English or Chinese. I've turned all that stuff off though. Audio volume / source / phone etc can all be changed through steering wheel buttons, which is what I like.

The a/c is a bit of a pain because it's only adjustable through the touch screen, but it's pretty straightforward.

• Thanks 2

On 7/5/2023 at 12:17 PM, edwinchester said:

Possibly but we'd already paid for our Neta when the salesperson told us the subsidies would be ending at the end of the year 555.

The majority of subsidies finished in China December 2022 since then there has been a huge price war taking place in China resulting in car prices lower without the 

subsidies than with

People should remember if no-one is buying your product the company has 2 choices either reduced the price or go out of business

• Thumbs Up 2

58 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The majority of subsidies finished in China December 2022 since then there has been a huge price war taking place in China resulting in car prices lower without the 

subsidies than with

People should remember if no-one is buying your product the company has 2 choices either reduced the price or go out of business

Totally agree. Tesla have started a downward spiral recently with their price cuts. A couple of Thai discussion groups are suggesting the subsidy will be ending in September but when pushed nothing substantial to back it up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

7 hrs is impressive, as I just put in Gmap, and came up with 686 kms, 9hr 27mins, leaving now.  So if same trip kms wise, you were averaging 100kph almost.

Best time leaving @ 1000 hr tomorrow, Saturday, 7hr 40mins without stops, even for petrol.  (T21 Asok - CM walking street)

map

On a weekday, Tuesday, about the same time, 7hr 30min.  So really too many variables for any real comparison.  Yours vs my style of driving.  I would not average 100kph, an any vehicle.

I drive the speed limit, so 90kph, and on long drives, if lucky, when having ICE, I'd average 80kph, using time & distance, with stops

With the EV, I'd stop to charge twice, 30mins each, and arrive with nice reserve, so add 1 hr to any actually driving time, minimum.   

686kms ÷ 80kph = 8.6hr + 1 = 9.6 hours

Though I'd probably stop more than 2X if saw something of interest.  Reality, I'd probably overnight along the way.  Somewhere after 5-6hrs on the road, depending on a few factors.

For me, that wouldn't be much difference if in ICE or EV.  I'm stepping 2 or 3 times on the way in the ICE, so that hour would stand anyway.

image.png.c38ee7a99f348fa3631ffde684786721.png

image.png.dfcd526904c8979399394caf56ee73df.png

I quite often do this trip I use the 1/32 A/R to N/Sawan that's a 120kph A/R I get to Kamphaeng Phet in 3.5 hours. Also traveling at 120+kph cos there are no cameras. C/M is another 3.5 hours Depending on traffic. I do have the odd stop for coffee as well. There was a real reason I asked this question as I pulled into a coffee stop and there was a EV already on a charger. My stop was for around 15 min: and the EV was still on said charger when I left. How long it was on that Buddha only knows? just plaid on my mind. How long it took to do a run and what was the cost of charging. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

If you did central Bangkok to central Chiang Mai in 7 hours including stops you must have hammered it. You should apply for a job as an interprovincial bus driver here.

If I was going to do that in my EV I'd drive between 110-120 kmh and I'd aim to charge somewhere after about 250 km. I'd pre-book at a PTT station roughly that distance from start point. Have a coffee and let it charge for 30 mins or so. Then do the same after about another 250 km. At 110-120 kmh on the highway the BYD range is around 350 km.

Total cost for charging - say 90 kWh ( 2 x 45 sessions) at THB 7.5 / kWh so THB 675. Time wise, I'd reckon on BKK-CM being around 8-9 hours including stops.

Now, if I had to do it as quickly as possible, I'd take my petrol-powered car (2.0L Turbocharged) Then I'd be going quite a bit faster than 110-120 kmh. But it would take at least a full tank (50 litres plus) because it runs anything from 5-15 km/l. I prefer to use Benzine 95 which is around THB 45 / litre. So fuel cost of at least THB 2,250. Probably also have to factor in 2 or 3 THB 500 speeding tickets ...

I drive a Tuna 2.8lt cost for diesel is around 1.5/600 BHT. I have never worked it out exactly but I do know that I can do 1000km for 2kBHT so a bit of a guesstimate. I left BKK just north of The old airport so not central. As the 1/32 A/R is a 120 kph road, I do tend to hammer it. Hence the reason I leave at around 10am as I miss the rush hour. Thank you for the info on how much it cost and time taken in an EV. 

• Confused 2

On 4/23/2022 at 9:11 AM, Bandersnatch said:

The Hyundai Ioniq 5, which was just recently crowned 2022 World Car of the Year would be great to see in Thailand.

ioniq5.jpg

It was discontinued even more recently. Womp womp

• Confused 3

15 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Here’s another comparison about how the standard Dolphin stacks up against similar priced ICE cars in the 700/750k range.

IMG_0931.jpeg.af721341bf78013f31c08125a5d941f5.jpeg

That City turbo looks interesting, ~24% quicker, ~28% more powerful,  ~4% less torque and over three times the range. 

14 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That City turbo looks interesting, ~24% quicker, ~28% more powerful,  ~4% less torque and over three times the range. 

I have had a test drive in the City Turbo, whilst I think it's the best ICE car in it's class, it still felt very slow.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have had a test drive in the City Turbo, whilst I think it's the best ICE car in it's class, it still felt very slow.

Well then you better not buy a Dolphin, at least not on porpoise.