Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Well then you better not buy a Dolphin, at least not on porpoise. 

0-100 km in around 7 seconds is plenty fast enough for me. When I feel the need for speed, I hop onto one of my two 1 litre bikes which can easily exceed 200kmh.

15 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

0-100 km in around 7 seconds is plenty fast enough for me. When I feel the need for speed, I hop onto one of my two 1 litre bikes which can easily exceed 200kmh.

Not for me, I like to hop on my three 2l bikes. I haven't had a 1l bike since high school 

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Latest OTA update on the Atto 3 , in AUS at least, trials the Dynamic Range Prediction.

Interesting to see if this works reliably.

It's not available on the Thai models (at least not yet). The manual (copied from Aus/NZ version) actually has said it has it all along, but it never has.

It would be very useful. I just did a 52 km trip that used 10.1 kw which would equate to a range of just over 300 km. Probably used so much power because it was on the highway and I had the a/c on full power coolest setting for 10 minutes before that to try and cool car down after 5 hours in the sun. Like an <deleted> oven inside. My office parking card actually deformed in the interior heat (clipped under the sun visor) despite me using one of those tinfoil type reflectors inside the car, held in place by the visors.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Maybe the owner was getting something to eat? Who knows? I agree that sitting at a charger for 30-40 mins sounds tedious but one of the good things about EVs is that you can lock them while charging and go find something to eat. Or, get a coffee and then sit in the car with the a/c on while charging and catch up on emails etc. The charging app will tell you how much the car has charged in real time so you don't need to keep going back to check.

So, locking it and getting pump-food is something you can't do with an ICEV? 

There are a lot of really great things about EVs, being stuck close to a charger for half an hour is not one of them, whether you're hungry or not.

Why not focus on the things that are great about EVs rather than pretending the relatively short range, and long "fuel" times are never inconvenient? 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Probably used so much power because it was on the highway and I had the a/c on full power coolest setting for 10 minutes before that to try and cool car down after 5 hours in the sun. Like an <deleted> oven inside. My office parking card actually deformed in the interior heat (clipped under the sun visor) despite me using one of those tinfoil type reflectors inside the car, held in place by the visors.

Did you remember to "crack" the two front windows open a tiny bit also? I used to work in the Middle East where the temperatures would reach 50°C in the summer and my car was often parked outside. Leaving a tiny gap for the superheated internal air to escape can make all the difference.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Did you remember to "crack" the two front windows open a tiny bit also? I used to work in the Middle East where the temperatures would reach 50°C in the summer and my car was often parked outside. Leaving a tiny gap for the superheated internal air to escape can make all the difference.

Definitely need to crack the windows a bit, if going to sit in the sun.  Our cools off in less the 3 ish minutes w/AC on high, after letting all the warm air out.   Are we don't do tinted windows.

Need to cover steering wheel, or that will heat up to uncomfortable temp for more than a few minutes.

9 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

If I'm going to be near car for a while I don't like to do that here in rainy season. Which I guess wasn't an issue in the Middle East (although I can see a sandstorm blasting fine sand into the interior through even a small window opening). 

2 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

"locking it and getting pump-food is something you can't do with an ICEV?" - not while you're actually at the pump filling your car up, which would be the comparison to make with an EV being charged.

Say it takes 5 mins to fill up/pay, then you go and park and get some grub which takes you another 25-30 mins. How is that any different from plugging in an EV at a charger and leaving it there for 30-35 mins while you get a bite to eat etc?

"Why not focus on the things that are great about EVs rather than pretending the relatively short range, and long "fuel" times are never inconvenient?" - I'm not 'pretending' about anything. If you read my posts in this thread you'll see I'm on the fence about EV practicality for regular long distance use.

Having used an EV for 6 months now as a daily ride it's clear that, for my mainly urban use, I've saved time by not having to fill up with petrol every week or so. It's certainly more convenient in that respect than my ICE car.

So, I was right, locking the car and getting pump-food is something you can do with an ICEV, we agree. But with the ICEV I also have the option of never getting out of the car and being back on the road in five minutes rather than hanging around the pump eating crap food and whatnot.

That said, I think EVs are great for people that are not diving long distances often and that that have some place at home to charge them. For people that cannot charge at home and or drive long distances, not so great. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That said, I think EVs are great for people that are not diving long distances often and that that have some place at home to charge them. For people that cannot charge at home and or drive long distances, not so great. 

The penny dropped, finally. It has been said countless times that EVs are not for everyone, especially those who drive long distances regularly or are unable to charge at home.

It took a while but looks like you finally understood what many have been trying to explain to you.

• Love It 2

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

The penny dropped, finally. It has been said countless times that EVs are not for everyone, especially those who drive long distances regularly or are unable to charge at home.

It took a while but looks like you finally understood what many have been trying to explain to you.

Oh, I've known all along, it the guys that claim hanging around a pump waiting for the car to charge is some kind of benefit that amuse me. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3