Electric Vehicles in Thailand

6 hours ago, Pib said:

Update: was not surprised...no phone call came. 

The Thai wife and I still discussing when to follow-up again with the dealership about a firm or firmer delivery date.  The wife is not pleased a phone call didn't come...a promised phone call that was suppose to come even if the dealership said no firm date yet but they are still trying to get a date. 

Yea, if you bump into a not-so-happy Thai woman today please beware as it could be my wife looking for a neck to squeeze tightly....yes, beware.  :tongue:

Another update:  the dealership called this morning at 10:38am giving us an projected delivery date. 

But before I say the delivery date let me tell a little story.  While the wife and were  driving to the market we discussed whether we should call/visit our dealership ASAP and ask why they didn't call within 2 days as they promised which ended yesterday/Thursday.  We decided to call.  So, I pulled out my phone to dial the number which I had saved and once hitting the dial button I would hand the phone to the wife.  Well, "at the exact same instant" I pressed dial a window popped up for an incoming call and it was from the number I was calling....the dealership.  For a split second I thought I had pressed the wrong button or something and another split second later I realized the dealership was calling us and they had initiated the call probably a second before I pressed the button to dial them since there is always a second or so lag from pressing dial and it actually dialing.  I pressed answer at 10:38am, it was the dealership, and I passed the phone to the wife.   Just amazing they initiated the call to us while I was pressing dial to call them.   I'll remember that the rest of my life.

The call was good news.  The dealership said "Rever" who is the importer/distributor for BYD vehicles in Thailand and who all BYD dealerships get their BYDs from said our red Atto is projected to be delivered to the dealership next Friday/20 Oct....not a rock solid, 100%, for-sure date but the dealership said this is the kind of delivery date they get for all their vehicles...most of the time it's right on-target, but sometimes it may be a few days earlier or later.  Once actually delivered it will probably take another day or two to precheck the vehicle and install the window film.   So, it looks like about a week from now.

For those awaiting their BYD delivery and getting a BIG ballpark, rough estimated delivery date you might want to ask your dealership exactly what is the BYD distributor Rever estimating for a delivery date as that might show the dealership you know Rever is key as to when delivery will occur as Rever is the one that deals with the BYD factory in China and orders/receives the cars from China which are in turn distributed to the 60 or so BYD dealerships across Thailand.

https://www.reverautomotive.com/en/faq

image.png.c2c07f5d2205d33bb05a9d5616a8bd26.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

ask your dealership exactly what is the BYD distributor Rever estimating for a delivery date

Thanks for the tip.

I am a member of the MGEVForum https://www.mgevs.com/ and you regularly hear discussions about what boat your car is on and people track the boat from China to the UK.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Have you been reading the user's manual while you are patiently waiting for your car to arrive?

Sad I know, but yes I have. I downloaded the PDF of the english language version of the European Seal, which is now sitting in my dropbox. 

The cars are quite complex so it is a good idea.

Unlike Atto 3 owners, there are not too many helpful guides to the seal on YouTube. Perhaps I’ll have to make one.

14 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I am a member of the MGEVForum https://www.mgevs.com/ and you regularly hear discussions about what boat your car is on and people track the boat from China to the UK.

It's not only the boat getting from China to Thailand, but then the thousands of vehicles on that boat being offloaded and "cleared for release by Customs."   

Earlier this week this was a major issue expressed by my dealership's manager.   He said getting a vehicle cleared thru Thai Customs can take weeks as Customs was very paperwork picky, slow, and wanted to absolutely triple ensure any taxes/fees were paid before release.  Plus, he was none to complimentary towards the work efficiency of the govt Customs workers (i.e., they were slow).   

Of course I fully expect his story might have been a little one-sided by making BYD appear as an angel and govt Customs appearing as a devil.   But whether Thai Customs is really as slow as my dealership made them out to be I fully expect vehicles do take at least a few days to a week to clear Customs....and maybe sometimes much longer as the dealership was ranting about.   Then the distributor can take full procession where he might be moving them from port to a temporary storage locations (a BIG field/parking lot somewhere), and then redistributed out to dealerships.

Anyway, my red Atto is "almost" here. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

For anyone who finds it strangely fascinating watching people take things apart - two interesting videos (only posting link to first here) of a EV-qualified engineer dismantling a battery from an Atto. Some of his posted comments are very useful eg this one about the battery's water resistance:

"There is a thick gasket all around the outside where the top plastic case bolts down onto the aluminium base and there are O rings around all the connections. The pack also had a couple screw vents on top that equalised pressure when I undid them so the pack is air tight"

Looks like his latest video on this subject was Part 5 uploaded 9 days ago.   After watching all five I've decided my plans to take the traction battery out of my Atto one weekend, completely disassemble it to ensure it was put together correctly, and then put it back together should be delayed (forever).   

This attempted full disassembly also explains why almost all EV batteries are completely replaced when a certain problems develop versus being reparable at a local shop.  But who knows, Somchai's Shop may still get brave and give it a try and develop ingenious methods to do it....but I'm highly doubtful at this point. 

And since his last video (Part 5) was 9 days ago I sure hope while making Part 6 (not uploaded yet) the battery didn't blow-up and bring in the fire department and ambulance.  ????

On 10/11/2023 at 7:34 PM, Pib said:

Are any of you BEV owners using a OBD2 adapter to periodically check your vehicle's condition/any trouble codes, etc.?  Seems a lot of Youtube videos use OBD2 data during their videos but don't identify what adapter they are using or the few that do list a pricey adapter costing several thousands baht.

Since there are so, so many different OBD2 adaptors sold ranging from Bt50 (like the Elm 327 Mini sold on Lazada/Shopee) to thousands of baht AND since all OBD2 adapters are not created equal do any of you have recommendations for a low cost OBD2 adapter that works well on a BEV?   And maybe available on Lazada/Shopee?

After reviewing a bunch  Lazada reviews on various OBD2 adapters I found one review which said below OBD2 adapter worked to read most, but all the important OBD2 data on his Atto 3...which means it should work on the Dolphin and Seal also.  The reviewer also included photos to confirm.   And  he even loaded photos showing the assoicated OBD2 Android app installed and working on the Atto 3 infotainment system and also his Android phone.  And the adapter also works on Apple IOS.

Fortunately this particular OBD2 adapter is also dirt cheap....around Bt50 on Lazada and Shopee.  I ordered one this evening.   See below snapshot for more info.  

While the more expensive OBD2 adapters....starting at several hundred baht and going up to thousands of baht  (approaching Bt10K) for some brand name adapters if this adapter works well it will explain why this particular OBD2 adapter is sold by "many" Lazada/Shopee sellers and has been bought in the thousands....of course a very cheap price is probably the key driver followed by the fact it just works pretty good.   If you do a search on Lazada/Shopee the adapter below is going to appear many, many times in the search results.  Many, many in-Thailand sellers which means you get your order delivered in days vs having to wait for weeks if the seller is China based.

image.png.b54535e10a6418dc9a23cdda67e4b0f8.png

image.png.e720a158f4d4a83361b77ef2e8b4b5a7.png

image.png.a12f98e7154f3261ae83ee0a391e54b7.png

image.png.b639d3e6692bac8f189cb278302818ca.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

My Thai Wife was hoping we would buy a BMW iX1 (still hasn’t arrived in Thailand) She didn’t feel that the spartan interior of Teslas really looked like luxury.

I wasn’t impressed with it’s 64 kWh Li-ion battery and it’s expected high price, but we did end up watching a number of videos of German EVs.

This guy does great reviews and he really knows his luxury cars.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

This guy does great reviews and he really knows his luxury cars.

thank you for sharing the video. there aren't many negative points to find for the byd seal!

i would like having one pedal drive and driver setting memories. perhaps this could be add

in the future through an over-the-air (OTA) update ... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Buyers Remorse.

EVs are like any new technology, they change at a rapid pace. 20 years ago I was working in BKK and dating a girl who worked at Toshiba. She was able to get me staff discount on a new 42 inch TV. 2 years ago I bought an 86 inch TV and it's already out of date.

ICE vehicles on the other hand are a mature technology and any improvement year to year are tiny. I also don't think that anybody is considering investing in developing a completely new ICE engine which could be obsolete before it's ready for production.

In 2018 at the BKK motor show a ฿2,000,000 40 kWh Li-ion Nissan Leaf with CHAdeMO charging was the only EV I saw. I am glad I waited, but how long do you wait?

I have chosen to buy an 82.5 kWh LFP EV with V2L for ฿1,449,000. Will something better come along in the next couple of year? Definitely, but I am happy with the deal I have got and I will enjoy the car instead of fretting over my decision.  Life is too short for all that worry.

This is a very good point, and it's probably the one doubt about EVs I still have.  When is the right time to jump in?  

EVs are in essence "a computer on wheels", and we all know how fast tech changes and not only that, with each year that passes, the rate of change itself gets even quicker.

Ultimately, I think EVs may not just end up changing the way we drive, but also the way we buy cars.  Perhaps we'll see more leasing/subscription type models that cater for constantly improving technology and will build on recycling capabilities for older models.  This isn't really an option in Thailand right now, but if I was back in the UK I'd certainly be looking at leasing rather than buying my next car.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Melpomene said:

This is a very good point, and it's probably the one doubt about EVs I still have.  When is the right time to jump in?  

EVs are in essence "a computer on wheels", and we all know how fast tech changes and not only that, with each year that passes, the rate of change itself gets even quicker.

Actually, unless a vehicle was built "many" years ago, ICE vehicles have been a "computer on wheels" for many years.  And when I say computer I mean "Electronic Control Units" (ECU) which comes in many varieties to control/monitor many different systems on the vehicle.  Typically a vehicle will have a 40 to 150 ECUs spread around the vehicle especially an ICE vehicle which has all type of ECUs/sensors to monitor the combustion process.   

On a BEV there is no combustion process....many of the ECUs (computers) required on an ICEV and not required on a BEV.   Now sure the traction battery for a BEV has a sophisticated traction Battery Management System (BMS) ECUs not found on ICEV but the rest of the BEV is less ECU intensive than a ICEV with all its combustion monitoring/control ECUs.

Now the "Infotainment" display on a BEV does offer quite a few options to change certain driving characteristics of the vehicle like power response, steering feel, regenerative braking, etc., but I expect most people decide on a certain settings after driving the BEV for a few months and then rarely ever change those particular settings again.  And most of the remaining settings in the "Infotainment" are more comfort, map, sound, lighting, etc., type settings/controls....kinda like the settings on a typical smart phone.

So, assuming you know how to use a smartphone you are already qualified to use the "Infotainment Computer Thingie" in a BEV after reading the BEV Operating Manual.  Now out and pick a BEV to buy if you are in the market for a new car!!!! ????

ECUs on a vehicle snapshots

image.png.8a07edfe6c79c282facce270c2009391.png

image.png.3c594b5dd3841ab9c1749ceee98431c4.png

image.png.e766ce885a02ba111caa45648c7f134e.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mistral53 said:

A lifetime ago, I owned a VW Phateton W12 - it was a colossal monster weighting almost 2.5 tons. My BYD Seal dual motor is almost the same weight, albeit is much smaller - is that really progress in 20 years?

I wondered who the buyer was.

• Haha 1