Electric Vehicles in Thailand

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

I have joined 3 Thai Seal FB groups and the post popular colour seems to be…

Black with some extra Black

Lighting the Road or Seeing through the Windows seems to be optional

Night vision goggles is one of the secret freebies that come with every Seal. 

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I too am following some of the Thai Seal groups and they are not shy about making some changes to their cars as soon as leaving the showroom, here’s another couple of options:

IMG_1405.jpeg.107b82fcd93f6a65cad33ccf848297b9.jpeg

IMG_1381.jpeg.dbc61de54b57dc3ab54516ad64c6ac3c.jpeg

Or this one which some might say is a step backwards !!

IMG_1413.thumb.jpeg.b9ac6c7e2a9fadb53c0c697dd781b865.jpeg

I have long thought the definition of "taste" in Thailand is different from the West. 

In the West we look at every modification from an asesthetic point of view, we consider the form, the function and whether it adds or subtracts from the whole with a critical eye.

In Thailand the entire philosophy is different, it can be summed up as if "if someone makes it" then "it must be good".

I think the concept of "less is more" doesn't exist here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes...I read that in the Atto manual.   If I every get my Atto I will "not" routinely be letting it drop to less that 10%....in fact, I fully expect it to stay well above 50% to ensure I'm well charged.   

But I understand where BYD is coming from as letting any lithium-type battery drop close to zero and then charging to 100% recalibrates the charging system/state of charge monitoring to help ensure the current charge level/range estimate is fairly close.

Laptop computers typically have a recalibration setting which basically first charges the battery to 100%, then discharges it close to zero %, and then recharges to 100% in order to recalibrate the charging circuit.   And on some Toshiba laptops I used to have if I didn't recalibrate about once a year the percentage of charge remaining would become VERY inaccurate....like I could be at 50% charge and then suddenly it would drop to under 5%.   But after doing a recalibration (i.e., charge 100%...discharge close to zero...and then recharge to 100%) that problem would go away for a year or so.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I wonder whether this instruction applies to all LFP batteries:

(from the owners manual)

I also wonder how many owners will abide by these instructions, let alone read the manual..........lol

Could contain:

My home Batteries are CATL LFPs and the manual says to charge to 100% once a week. Don't remember seeing about discharging to less than 10%. In fact my inverters would only allow the batteries to get to 22% SOC

43 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

My home Batteries are CATL LFPs and the manual says to charge to 100% once a week. Don't remember seeing about discharging to less than 10%. In fact my inverters would only allow the batteries to get to 22% SOC

I fitted Active Balancers on my 2 battery packs so I can avoid charging to 100%, they are always balancing.  I charge to 85% and can only discharge to about the same level as you.

17 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I fitted Active Balancers on my 2 battery packs so I can avoid charging to 100%, they are always balancing.  I charge to 85% and can only discharge to about the same level as you.

Not sure if needed with a good BMS:

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure if needed with a good BMS:

You don't need active balancers, but without them you need to charge to 100% periodically for the passive balancers in the BMS to balance the cells.

With an active balancer, the cells are constantly being balanced without any wastage, passive balancers waste energy.

Active Balancer is also useful if anything goes wrong with the balancing section of your BMS.

Putting it in EV terms, cars without Active Balancers (eg MG) balance at the end of the charge cycle, other manufacturers don't need you to do this process.

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Honda  e:Ny1 (Stupid Name) (Lowercase e colon Capital N Lowercase y) much like the Toyota bZ4X (Lowercase b Capital Z Capital X)

£44,100 (฿1,948,925)  to £47,195 (฿2,085,452) Actual price in Thailand not yet released

Based on the HRV platform 

No Durian storage (Frunk) 

78kW charging 🤣

0-62 mph: 7.6 seconds

62kWh Lithium-ion Battery usable

Honda WTF Were You Thinking?! - great title to the video

The battery looks very bolted on and hanging very low is a literal sticking point

spacer.png

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

No Durian storage (Frunk) 

That design is intentional, safety, and comfort engineering as you would never want the smell of a Durian originating from the front of the vehicle to be blown into the vehicle as you speed down the road.  The Durian fumes would enter the vehicle cabin in a large quantity and overpower all occupants resulting in severe nose-pinching, blurred vision, etc., and even in an extreme case of a really ripe Durian causing unconsciousness....basically, similar to carbon dioxide poisoning in an ICEV.    

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Honda  e:Ny1 (Stupid Name) (Lowercase e colon Capital N Lowercase y) much like the Toyota bZ4X (Lowercase b Capital Z Capital X)

£44,100 (฿1,948,925)  to £47,195 (฿2,085,452) Actual price in Thailand not yet released

Based on the HRV platform 

the new honda prologue looks much better ... 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

MG cutting the price again !!

IMG_1431.jpeg.aa3a76043de01160621f295947c87b59.jpeg

That’s a healthy discount , especially on the Turbo X .

EDIT:

Apparently these are display models with 0 km , maybe making room for a facelift ?

Apparently there has been a minor change already and the display models are original and minor change ( minor change a bit more expensive ).

But aren't above just regular ICE vehicles...not even a hybrid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1