Electric Vehicles in Thailand

26 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Interesting with  BYD pricing :

AUS  seals are less expensive than Thai seals while

Aus dolphins are more expensive than Thai dolphins .  

I did comment on the video as EcoHouseThailand explaining that in Thailand there are number of freebies which effectively drop the price which are probably not available in other markets.

20230927_114515000_iOS.thumb.jpg.b46d84356c2f8de43161361530ea39b0.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

Interesting with  BYD pricing :

AUS  seals are less expensive than Thai seals while

Aus dolphins are more expensive than Thai dolphins .  

I thought for a second that maybe the Australia 10% GST is not reflected in the BYD pricing.    But when I went to the BYD AU website to price out an order for a Seal apparently it is included.   Drive away price for a BYD Seal Premium in blue color would be 61,431 AUD which is approx 1,421,500 THB if, repeat if that includes the new & improved Seal pricing.....noticeably cheaper than the 1,449,000 THB price in Thailand.  See snapshots below.   

The last snapshot of Atto 3 pricing still shows it a lot cheaper than a Seal Premium in Australia.  

Seal Price in Australia

https://bydautomotive.com.au/configurator/byd-seal?ref=website

image.png.6a2942acae19df7e5871b64e888a6105.png

Seal Price in Thailand

image.png.b4fe80cb8567fa103c6302dba343592b.png

Atto 3 Price in Australia

https://bydautomotive.com.au/configurator/byd-atto-3?ref=website

image.png.95eb87cc130d1eb69aab67182b8a9876.png

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Thanks for posting this  - very interesting

Seal.thumb.jpg.747ebd0e79978884ad9118e6c8f705cf.jpg

Yea....I noticed that when doing the pricing...basically unless you want the car in white and the standard black interior then a different color costs 1500AUD more along with another 1500AUD if wanting the blue interior.   

As far as I know BYD Thailand doesn't charge extra for a different colors...but I'm not sure?

Edited by Pib

If going with a Seal Premium....white exterior and black interior which are standard (no extra cost).....the price in Australia is 59,931 AUD which is approx 1,388,000 THB.   The selling price in Thailand for a Seal Premium is 1,449,000 THB. 

Now since BEVs in Thailand incur a 2% Excise tax (reduced from 8% until 2025 I think) if there was zero percent excise tax that would lower the 1,449,000 THB price by 28,980 THB to 1,420,020 THB which means it's slightly cheaper to buy a Seal in Australia right now. 

But unless something has changed, in Australia BYD does not provide free scheduled maintenance except the very first one (see snapshot at bottom....the remaining 8 cost several hundred AUD per visit); in Thailand the scheduled maintenance is free.   When considering Seal price and mx costs between Australia and Thailand I think it probably comes out to be basically even.   

Now when/if the Thai govt BEV subsidy goes away (maybe end of 2023) and assuming BYD would raise its prices back to pre-subsidiary levels then Thailand will once again be an expensive country to buy a BEV in compared to other western countries like Australia.

https://bydautomotive.com.au/configurator/byd-seal?ref=website

image.png.65e220f353425ad4150009f6748123e3.png

BYD Australia Scheduled Maintenance Costs

https://bydautomotive.com.au/service-and-warranty

image.png.b86faafcbc19d80cacad141e9808ee79.png

• Thanks 2

@christurner3857

52 minutes ago

Don't forget you can charge for FREE at any BYD dealership, and the network is growing fast.

Saw this comment on the video I posted above. Anybody confirm that this true? 

With MG I get free AC charging when I drop my car off for a service but otherwise you have to pay.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Want to buy an EV here in Thailand but worried about flooding ?, have no fear the solution could be close at hand .

I think @JBChiangRai will be cancelling his MG Cyberster to get one 😉

I drove the Fomm 1 at the Bangkok motor show in 2019. Sales were originally quite strong but newer entry of "proper" cars like the Neta V for the same price in the EV market have reduced sales to a trickle which is a shame.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

@christurner3857

52 minutes ago

Don't forget you can charge for FREE at any BYD dealership, and the network is growing fast.

Saw this comment on the video I posted above. Anybody confirm that this true? 

With MG I get free AC charging when I drop my car off for a service but otherwise you have to pay.

the charching at BYD is for sure not for free ...

my  local BYD dealer told me it is 7.5 baht per kwh ...

• Thanks 1

Latest news from my dealership. I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath:

My Seal will arrive in Phuket tonight or tomorrow morning. Should have it on Tuesday or Wednesday next week. He sounded quite sure.

I'm surprised, but pleased to learn that mine is the only blue Seal ordered in Phuket so far.  

Have already arranged for window film to be installed. 

I am going to wait for clarification on installing a dashcam. I want front and rear. The Atto 3 camera, which can be fitted easily (allegedly) to the Seal is front only.

Edited by macahoom
  • Love It 2

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Neta V announced a 50k discount !

IMG_1408.jpeg.acb4bac2a63e6266e5a7962f3934ac2c.jpeg

Do they know something we don’t about a Seagull landing on Thai shores ??

Are they clearing stock for a new facelift model ??

https://carnewschina.com/2023/08/03/neta-aya-launched-in-china-with-401-km-of-range-starts-at-10300-usd/

Or is it just in response to MG dropping the prices ??

NOTE: the small print does say “ 50k discount when booking and receiving the car before 30th Oct “

Just to add another snapshot of the Neta V Bt50K promotional discount....but as you said the car must be booked "and received" by 31 October which pretty much means just stock they have in Thailand already.   Durn good price....going to be big spike in October sales for sure!!!

https://droidsans.com/neta-v-new-promotion-for-october-2023/

image.png.046924b0d718628de3cbe2b9a121bd2a.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I think @JBChiangRai will be cancelling his MG Cyberster to get one 😉

I drove the Fomm 1 at the Bangkok motor show in 2019. Sales were originally quite strong but newer entry of "proper" cars like the Neta V for the same price in the EV market have reduced sales to a trickle which is a shame.

Little roadster looks cute.

Very impressed with the Neta V, and test drove the Seal Performance today, it's mental.  I'm not sure Thailand is ready for this level of performance....

Salesmen told me today he has sold 6 cars this month, 3 x Seal Performance, 2 x Seal Premium, 1 x Atto 3.

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Thanks 2

Just think...for the price one Seal Premium a person could instead buy "three" Neta V's .   

I bet those who "recently" bought and received their Neta V at a cost of 549,000 baht...the car is now setting in their driveway....will by hopping mad they missed out on getting the car 50,000 baht cheaper.  Boy, I would be. 

Below AutoLifeThailand webpage updated 4 hours ago includes a lot of Neta V pictures...more info for those interested in a Neta V.  

https://autolifethailand.tv/discount-price-neta-v-ev-bev-2023-thailand/

image.png.988d8a4bb458d53556ceb425b6ced73f.png

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Just to add another snapshot of the Neta V Bt50K promotional discount....but as you said the car must be booked "and received" by 31 October which pretty much means just stock they have in Thailand already.   Durn good price....going to be big spike in October sales for sure!!!

https://droidsans.com/neta-v-new-promotion-for-october-2023/

image.png.046924b0d718628de3cbe2b9a121bd2a.png

I believe trying to get rid of current stock, before the 4C LFP battery versions start shipping, 1Q 2024 ?

"Neta EVs to carry the first 4C LFP battery that adds 400 km after 10-minute charge

October 9, 2023

CATL presented the Shenxing battery in August as an ultra-fast charging lithium-iron-phosphate (LFP) battery that adds 400 km of range in 10 minutes of charging. The world’s first LFP battery, allowing 4C charging, will start mass production by the end of the year and will be commercially available in the first quarter of 2024. The first electric car to carry the battery will be Changan’s Avatr 12, presented at Munich Auto Show. Avatr is a joint venture between the car maker and CATL."

source

Changan will be coming to TH soon also:

"Changan to build $250 million NEV production base in Thailand with initial annual capacity of 100,000 units"

source

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2023 at 3:54 PM, Pib said:

Actually, unless a vehicle was built "many" years ago, ICE vehicles have been a "computer on wheels" for many years.  And when I say computer I mean "Electronic Control Units" (ECU) which comes in many varieties to control/monitor many different systems on the vehicle.  Typically a vehicle will have a 40 to 150 ECUs spread around the vehicle especially an ICE vehicle which has all type of ECUs/sensors to monitor the combustion process.   

On a BEV there is no combustion process....many of the ECUs (computers) required on an ICEV and not required on a BEV.   Now sure the traction battery for a BEV has a sophisticated traction Battery Management System (BMS) ECUs not found on ICEV but the rest of the BEV is less ECU intensive than a ICEV with all its combustion monitoring/control ECUs.

Now the "Infotainment" display on a BEV does offer quite a few options to change certain driving characteristics of the vehicle like power response, steering feel, regenerative braking, etc., but I expect most people decide on a certain settings after driving the BEV for a few months and then rarely ever change those particular settings again.  And most of the remaining settings in the "Infotainment" are more comfort, map, sound, lighting, etc., type settings/controls....kinda like the settings on a typical smart phone.

So, assuming you know how to use a smartphone you are already qualified to use the "Infotainment Computer Thingie" in a BEV after reading the BEV Operating Manual.  Now out and pick a BEV to buy if you are in the market for a new car!!!! ????

ECUs on a vehicle snapshots

image.png.8a07edfe6c79c282facce270c2009391.png

image.png.3c594b5dd3841ab9c1749ceee98431c4.png

image.png.e766ce885a02ba111caa45648c7f134e.png

Yeah that's a fair point.  Although to me it does feel slightly different, the ECUs are computers that control the various components of the ICE, whilst BEVs are the computers themselves!

ICE technology has been fairly stable for many years, whereas EVs are progressing at a crazy rate of knots.  Look at some of the Changan cars with their 1000km ranges or the new Neta with 10 minute charging.  My mind is blown by the number of new cars appearing on the horizon, and not only do they look incredible but they seem to be getting cheaper !!  Everything I have ever known about cars feels like it's been turned upside down.  That said I'm close to booking a Seal, but I would ideally like to wait for the Changan release before the EOY if my patience allows it 😄.

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Neta EVs to carry the first 4C LFP battery that adds 400 km after 10-minute charge

The battery’s capacity to be fast charged needs to be matched with a charger capable of charging at that rate.

You would be lucky to find chargers faster than 150kW in Thailand. 

The economics of installing a single 500kW charger don’t make much sense as it could cost as much 6x150kW chargers to install.

I’m happy with a 20-80% charge in 24 minutes. 

• Thumbs Up 2

52 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

The battery’s capacity to be fast charged needs to be matched with a charger capable of charging at that rate.

You would be lucky to find chargers faster than 150kW in Thailand. 

The economics of installing a single 500kW charger don’t make much sense as it could cost as much 6x150kW chargers to install.

I’m happy with a 20-80% charge in 24 minutes. 

Yea, that crossed my mind, nice marketing though. 

Like selling cars doing 0-100 in 3+ seconds.  I've yet to need that when merging into traffic.  Or the ability to have top speed >150 kph.

Does show what they are capable of though, now if only gov'ts & grids can catch up.

Put solar on every roof with a respectable buy back of excess.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

The biggest selling point for Tesla in the EU & US is the charging infrastructure. In Thailand that is definitely not the case. After a year in Thailand Tesla charging is available in only 3 location Khorat, Pattaya and Greater BKK.

IMG_1328.thumb.jpeg.60d83d3b27bd7cc8acc6827ad4e83d50.jpeg

IMG_1329.thumb.jpeg.feb5e93ee7f317dc9c8819698559dcea.jpeg

I doubt very much that the charging infrastructure is a bill selling point for Teslas in the US. 

Far and away, most of the charge stations I see in Thailand appear to work with any EV, at least when they're working. 

Edited by Yellowtail
  • Thumbs Up 2

a lot of chatter that Honda is delaying the introduction of the E-NS1 (EV HRV) while many were seen testing on Thai roads, 

looking at Honda's ICE lineup from existing HRV hybrid to the CRV, not much room to slot in what is probably gonna be more expensive than the top-end HRV and still be competitive price wise with all the Chinese in the market

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Update from Bangkok on my Atto 3.  A week ago my dealership sales girl said "hopefully" 20 Oct...tomorrow.  I asked her by LINE post yesterday if any update...she read the post this morning...but no response yet.  Will wait until Friday evening or Saturday before seeking my Thai wife on the dealership via phone call or visit.

This morning a neighbor on my soi of 10 houses brought her new white Atto home from a dealership.  Haven't had a chance to talk to them to see which dealership they used...maybe the same as me.  

This now makes 2 of 10 homes on my Soi having a BEV in their driveway.  The other home has had a Telsa Model 3 for a couple of months.  Hopefully I can soon make it 3 of 10 homes on my soi having a BEV...gosh, didn't figure it would be taking this long to get my red Atto...getting a red vehicle just takes longer in the land of white, silver, gray, and black cars.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1