Electric Vehicles in Thailand

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I see you quoted my post comparing public charging in UK and Thailand, but you clearly didn’t read it.

Let me try to simplify it for you:

UK: 90% of EV chargers slower than 20kW = long queue

Thailand: Most chargers faster than 100kW = no queue

When I charge at 150kW I can add 350km of range in 20 minutes.

I have never seen a queue at a charger in Thailand. 

I only use a public charger when I’m traveling more than 600km 

99% of the time I charge at home for free from my home solar.

Please look up the definition of the word "most" in a dictionary.

EV chargers.png

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, matchar said:

Please look up the definition of the word "most" in a dictionary.

EV chargers.png

Since you obviously don't use CSs or don't live in TH, then you wouldn't know that most/many of the DC machines, have 2 'fast' charging cables.  

Almost all that I've used anyway, and that a fair amount countrywide, to come to my conclusion of 'most/many' having 2 per 'locaiton'.

image.png.0064b395fe3446f57820e10e44b05e56.png

image.png.885c76093ddba328cbe3e817a61c905a.png

Slow charger, as you can see, usually only have 1, though TBH, don't really pay attention to them.

image.png.7d7dc114474ac0b6bb5564464ab4556e.png

But this is the standard info at most on the road charging stations .... 

image.png.817d2a222c34d73c7ee2fd59c5893276.png

image.png.614c1ce91b5a0623d0b7fdf2db7c063e.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I forget sometimes that I have to explain things like I speaking to a small child. My apologies let me make it a little clearer.

There are 2 classes of chargers 

They are sometimes known by how they are used:

Destination chargers: found at homes, places of work, shops, restaurants and hotels etc. They are used when the driver is going to be at a location for hours. 

Road trip chargers: found on major highways, rest stops, fuel stations etc. They are used when the driver is stopping for minutes.

They are sometimes known by their connection type as @KhunLA explained above.

However they are probably most commonly known by the type of electricity they provide:

AC: EVs have an onboard inverter that converts AC power to DC to charge the batteries. Most cars can accept 7kW single phase and some can accept 11kW or even higher 3 phase.

DC: here both the EV’s capacity to accept a charge and charger capacity to deliver a charge can vary but the lower of the 2 speeds determines the charging speed.

Nobody is talking about AC/Destination charging here. We are discussing the speed of DC charging.

The fact that you clearly don’t know the difference shows just how difficult it is have an intelligent discussion about EVs with someone who has little of knowledge about them.

You said most of the chargers in Thailand are DC chargers but from the website you quoted there are:

2,827 Type 2 AC chargers

1,471 CCS DC chargers

Obviously there is only one small child here who doesn't know the definition of the word "most".

On 12/3/2023 at 8:35 PM, josephbloggs said:

These are fascinating times. I don't think the automotive industry has ever been shaken up like this in my lifetime. The future is very much electric and Chinese........and I'm not against that at all - bring it on!

The Chinese are definitely selling well. Though is far better than they would have if the statistics or reporting was in any way transparent. BYD is probably the most reliable of the EV’s but even then they have had a significant number of even brand new top of the range vehicles decided that self immolation was appropriate.

These incidents are happening often enough that the news is managing to leak out even past the censorship if the CCP.
The numbers of off brand incidents is far greater though less newsworthy and not surprising given the lax of nonexistent controls on EV makers.

The top EV’s demise is newsworthy due the high prices, equivalent to top end western models.

18 minutes ago, matchar said:

You said most of the chargers in Thailand are DC chargers but from the website you quoted

Don’t misquote me to cover your own mistakes

I didn’t quote a website I posted a table of DC charging in Thailand.

IMG_1501.png.844e49fb3af57055a4ad6d4bf9cd86d5.png

Don’t bother replying I bored trying explain this to you - added to my blocked list

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

BYD is probably the most reliable of the EV’s but even then they have had a significant number of even brand new top of the range vehicles decided that self immolation was appropriate.

Do you have evidence you can post of a traction battery fire in a BYD here in Thailand?

I am not interested in BYD PHEV fires in China. BYD doesn't sell PHEVs in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The Chinese are definitely selling well. Though is far better than they would have if the statistics or reporting was in any way transparent. BYD is probably the most reliable of the EV’s but even then they have had a significant number of even brand new top of the range vehicles decided that self immolation was appropriate.

These incidents are happening often enough that the news is managing to leak out even past the censorship if the CCP.
The numbers of off brand incidents is far greater though less newsworthy and not surprising given the lax of nonexistent controls on EV makers.

The top EV’s demise is newsworthy due the high prices, equivalent to top end western models.

There are lots of statistics out there compiled by the US Gov't and others, EV's are more than 10 times less likely to catch fire than ICE cars.  This has been discussed and proven ad nauseum on this thread and others.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Do you have evidence you can post of a traction battery fire in a BYD here in Thailand?

The reports are leaking out from China, the country that has the widest market. The reports that have seen are all of pure EVs not PHEVs. However even if there were a number of PHEVs included that would hardly be a resounding recommendation for BYD.

what ever you decide to buy you need to be sure that your insurance is good and will payout on a total loss, something that is more likely if your EV is just involved in an accident and doesn’t involve rather higher than usual temperatures 2000C->

• Confused 4

28 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The reports are leaking out from China,

Reminder, the title of this topic is “Electric Vehicles in Thailand”

I asked you to post evidence of BYD traction battery fires in Thailand. You failed to do so because there hasn’t been a single BYD traction battery fire in Thailand. 

If you can’t post evidence for your BS theories we don’t want to hear from you.

Start your own topic and don’t try to hijack this one or as OP I will report you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The reports are leaking out from China, the country that has the widest market. The reports that have seen are all of pure EVs not PHEVs. However even if there were a number of PHEVs included that would hardly be a resounding recommendation for BYD.

what ever you decide to buy you need to be sure that your insurance is good and will payout on a total loss, something that is more likely if your EV is just involved in an accident and doesn’t involve rather higher than usual temperatures 2000C->

Actually, the statistics from China match the ones from the USA, it's  times less fires for EV's than ICE in China.

You will find it here in the history of this thread.

Reminder, the title of this topic is “Electric Vehicles in Thailand”

And you think that the reports of fires in vehicles that are sold in Thailand are irrelevant?

It isn’t important that so far there have been no reported incidents since the numbers here are so small. The vehicles sold into Thailand are the same, possibly with cosmetic changes, as are sold in China 

I asked you to post evidence of BYD traction battery fires in Thailand.

You will note, if you actually read my posts, I made no claims of battery fires in Thailand.

If you can’t post evidence for your BS theories we don’t want to hear from you.

So now you are the thought police?

Start your own topic and don’t try to hijack this one or as OP I will report you.

Please do. I will be interested to see the reaction. I will not be holding my breath.

just because you are rabidly in favour of rolling out EVs for everyone ignoring the extreme dangers to property that a single runaway EV or PHEV can do with the firefighting abilities of even an advanced country. Just look at Luton Airport and the millions, possibly hundreds of millions, of pounds lost. There the battery that started the chain reaction was much smaller than an EV as it was a PHEV. 

Yes the chance of a fire is low but get it in the wrong location and you could easily dwarf Luton airport.

Get the firefighting abilities to actually put out a runaway EV or PHEV and I will support your ideas.

EVs reduce city centre pollution and divert it to the power stations and manufacturing facilities, probably a good plan. They do nothing to reduce the overall lifetime pollution unless you are doing something like running a taxi fleet and even then it’s debatable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

@sometimewoodworker  This my opening post to this topic over 4,000 posts ago.

“This is a discussion about EVs available or coming to Thailand. Not private imports but cars supported here with a dealer network.

Are you interested in an EV as your next car if so which one and why?

Do you know of any breaking news about EVs in Thailand? If so post here. 

This not a discussion about EVs v ICE cars  - for that go here:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1246109-ice-vs-ev-the-debate-thread/

This is not a discussion about Chinese cars - for that go here: 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1235921-why-so-many-chinese-cars-mg-cars-do-people-only-care-to-buy-something-cheap-whatever-is-the-quality/

Mods please delete any posts that try to hijack this thread”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

“This is a discussion about EVs available or coming to Thailand. Not private imports but cars supported here with a dealer network.

25 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I'm confused!

11 minutes ago, macahoom said:
37 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I'm confused!

There are plenty of racist discussions about Chinese Cars. I would rather the racists join one of them and leave us to discuss EVs in Thailand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

It appears that you are rabidly in favour of blaming the Luton Airport fire on a PHEV but have not included any evidence that this is a true statement.

Have you actually carefully watched the first person video of the vehicle that started the chain reaction?

Have you looked at the timing of the claims of the fire Brigade, way to fast a claim that was given before the blaze got to the stage of burning down the structure.

Have you looked as exactly how the denial of an EV being the cause and how the claim that it was a diesel vehicle? No mention that from the pictures and videos as far as can be seen, yes it was a vehicle that had a diesel engine it also had a moderately sized battery of probably 38.2 kW.

You misunderstand me. Unlike the statements made before fire investigators had had the time needed to allow the car park to burn down and the days required to allow it to cool down I don’t know what caused the fire. Guessing, and clearly stating that it’s a guess, it may have been some kind of electrical fault in some part of the system, it certainly could (though extremely unlikely) have been an actual diesel fire at the beginning, I don’t know. Yes the vehicle had a diesel engine it also had a large battery,

What is clear from the video is that however the fire started, whatever the initial cause at the time the video an pictures were taken the nature of that fire certainly involved the battery being in thermal runaway and being on fire. Also it is likely, from the first hand reports, that the first fire extinguisher/s had not controlled the blaze. Exactly how the fire progressed and exactly how many traction batteries, if more than the first one, caught fire I didn’t know. From the reporting some.

So 1 and in all probability several to many, more were involved.

Did they cause the fire? Unknown and not really important, that they were involved is clear.

Was the design poor, in that there were no sprinklers installed? Absolutely.

Would have sprinklers stopped the blaze in the early stages or controlled it enough to allow for the fire brigade to control it? Again unknown but quite possibly.

What is clear is that the design of current large batteries do not stop them from becoming involved in a vehicle fire if they become damaged or hot enough. They may not cause the fire but once they go into thermal runaway they are impossible to stop. They produce their own fuel! They can and do continue burning under water. There is only 1 reported effective method that can putout an EV or PHEV fire and that involves hundreds of thousands of litres of subzero extremely salty water (-15C or lower) at the moment it is feasible in seagoing vehicle transport vessels 

SO your vehicle of choice has a very low chance of catching fire, greater for some that include range rovers and BYD but still small. But once on fire or in close proximity to a battery in thermal runaway, the resulting total fire is catastrophically more dangerous than an ICE fire. Because it can not be controlled.

EVs have been in safe use for many decades with virtually no problems, change the battery technology to allow tens of kWh, don’t allow for an inbuilt discharge system, don’t research the possible ways of stopping the fire other than just letting it burn out and you have irresponsible capitalism in action.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Have you actually carefully watched the first person video of the vehicle that started the chain reaction?

Have you looked at the timing of the claims of the fire Brigade, way to fast a claim that was given before the blaze got to the stage of burning down the structure.

Have you looked as exactly how the denial of an EV being the cause and how the claim that it was a diesel vehicle? No mention that from the pictures and videos as far as can be seen, yes it was a vehicle that had a diesel engine it also had a moderately sized battery of probably 38.2 kW.

You misunderstand me. Unlike the statements made before fire investigators had had the time needed to allow the car park to burn down and the days required to allow it to cool down I don’t know what caused the fire. Guessing, and clearly stating that it’s a guess, it may have been some kind of electrical fault in some part of the system, it certainly could (though extremely unlikely) have been an actual diesel fire at the beginning, I don’t know. Yes the vehicle had a diesel engine it also had a large battery,

What is clear from the video is that however the fire started, whatever the initial cause at the time the video an pictures were taken the nature of that fire certainly involved the battery being in thermal runaway and being on fire. Also it is likely, from the first hand reports, that the first fire extinguisher/s had not controlled the blaze. Exactly how the fire progressed and exactly how many traction batteries, if more than the first one, caught fire I didn’t know. From the reporting some.

So 1 and in all probability several to many, more were involved.

Did they cause the fire? Unknown and not really important, that they were involved is clear.

Was the design poor, in that there were no sprinklers installed? Absolutely.

Would have sprinklers stopped the blaze in the early stages or controlled it enough to allow for the fire brigade to control it? Again unknown but quite possibly.

What is clear is that the design of current large batteries do not stop them from becoming involved in a vehicle fire if they become damaged or hot enough. They may not cause the fire but once they go into thermal runaway they are impossible to stop. They produce their own fuel! They can and do continue burning under water. There is only 1 reported effective method that can putout an EV or PHEV fire and that involves hundreds of thousands of litres of subzero extremely salty water (-15C or lower) at the moment it is feasible in seagoing vehicle transport vessels 

SO your vehicle of choice has a very low chance of catching fire, greater for some that include range rovers and BYD but still small. But once on fire or in close proximity to a battery in thermal runaway, the resulting total fire is catastrophically more dangerous than an ICE fire. Because it can not be controlled.

EVs have been in safe use for many decades with virtually no problems, change the battery technology to allow tens of kWh, don’t allow for an inbuilt discharge system, don’t research the possible ways of stopping the fire other than just letting it burn out and you have irresponsible capitalism in action.

Still not seeing any evidence, only your guesswork.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

The registration of the car which started the blaze was E10 EFL.

A search of the registration reveals that the car was a RANGE ROVER SPORT TDV6 SE - a diesel. Not a hybrid.

End of story.

End of story? Not remotely it raises more questions.

The vehicle that is showing in the video isn’t clear enough to show the registration. The vehicle showing in the video clearly shows the position of the flames to be coming from the location of a traction battery. The video shows exactly how a traction battery fire would. There is not enough information to be sure that it was the originator of the blaze, though most likely it was.

The vehicle in the video is clearly a very dark colour if not actually black.

That IMG_7885.jpeg.77ce2fd7b14af5d3f3e3862cf1803c96.jpeg

may have been involved in the fire I don’t doubt. If it was being driven, it was illegal as it had not been MOT tested in the 4 years since the certificate expired 

IMG_7886.jpeg.5ba838850140b0a90ac116f660d7f00a.jpeg

it is currently taxed the tax was renewed at the beginning of November over 2 weeks after the fire, this is a rather unusual thing to do for a vehicle that was destroyed by fire weeks before the renewal, isn’t it?

IMG_7888.jpeg.1e10476b5dc50bc6f79c7dba8d0d52d6.jpeg

However it is NOT the vehicle shown in the video since

The Primary Colour is Gold for E10EFL

I don’t know enough about body changes to know if the vehicle in the fire is 7 years old. People suggest the vehicle in the fire video is a late model one if so then that proves that the 2 are different 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Haha 2