Electric Vehicles in Thailand

2 hours ago, idealistic123 said:

I'm interested in buying an electric car but know already that Thailand will only be my home for the next 3-4 years. 

That's why I'm wondering if anyone has already sold an used electric car? Is there an actual used car market for these vehicles? If yes, how are the prices compared to regular cars? 

I know one member on here sold his after two years for a 10% depreciation, but to be fair his was a very unique car and can't be considered normal.

Used electric cars: https://www.one2car.com/en/used-cars-for-sale?fuel_type=Electric&page_size=25&sort=registered_year.asc

Frankly some ridiculous asking prices. 800,000 baht for a four year old Nissan Leaf?? Outrageous. 

For the crazy second hand prices you should just get a new one. A BYD Dolphin standard range is 699,000 THB, all the latest technology and safety, 400+ km range. An extended range is 859,000 baht with closer to 500km range - just 60k more than someone is asking for a four year old Leaf with maybe 200kms of range at best.  So many more choices out there from Chinese brands.

Just go new, it is a buyer's market right now. I am shocked by the second hand prices.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, idealistic123 said:

I'm interested in buying an electric car but know already that Thailand will only be my home for the next 3-4 years. 

That's why I'm wondering if anyone has already sold an used electric car? Is there an actual used car market for these vehicles? If yes, how are the prices compared to regular cars? 

New cars prices start from B500,000 most new cars will include 1 years car insurance

Neta V for example as shown here

https://www.neta.co.th/en/promotion/promotion_ExclusiveDeal

https://www.facebook.com/NetaAutoThailand

If your only interested in a city car and not planning long trips check out Volt and Wuling  prices start from B375,000 last time i looked

https://www.wulingthai.com/booking/air-ev

Used Car market is in early stages of development in Thailand

Byd has announce an inspection service for car sellers and buyers there was an announcement they are planning to start selling used cars sometime in 2024

https://mgronline.com/motoring/detail/9660000071390

Biggest problem at the moment for used electric cars in Thailand is for some reason Banks and Finance companies when applying for finance for used electric cars answer is computer says no

They offer finance for new EV's but not for Used EV's

Most of the Facebook groups pages state impossible to get finance for used EV's

I am sure their will be a used car market for EV's in  the future 

Majority of cars are purchased in Thailand using finance

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Apologies that this video is in Thai. If it offends you, try watching with the sound off. The first 2 minute summary is all you need to watch 

The video is about PTT’s newest station, with EV support designed in and not added as an afterthought. I particularly like the solar roof canopy, 6 fast EV chargers, BYD showroom, healthy food options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I had my wife ask the taxi driver if he had any difficulty finding local places to charge his vehicle, and he replied he had no problem finding enough charging places locally.

On the way back to BKK, I did notice that a lot of the bigger gas/fuel stations along the highway now had/have various forms of "EV charging" signs up on their sign posts.... But, unlike you, I didn't stop our airport bus to see whether any of them were actually working!  :tongue:

TG, 

Yea....I expect the taxi driver knows of every charging station in his drive/work area and I expect taxis also have access to chargers made only available to the taxi company they rent their taxi from (for those that rent vs own).  But when a person, like you or me, might go on a long trip in their personal EV and must rely on charging apps to find operational "DC Fast Chargers" (i.e., fully charge your EV in 1 hr or less) along a several hundreds kilometers trip then that's when it can stressful especially if you are in a province that does not have any  large city (i.e., in the country, sticks, etc).....the further you get from the Metro Bangkok area, Pattaya, places like that which have plenty of DC Fast Chargers the number of Fast Chargers go way down and the distance between them can start getting up to the 50Km ballpark before the next "one each" DC Fast Charger is located---and you just hope it works or is not being used when  you arrive. 

Some people often post ""zoomed-out maps of Thailand showing it covered with chargers....makes it look like there is a charger on every soi...every few kilometers....but as you zoom-in in many rural areas/off major roadways then the number of chargers goes way, way down...and many of then are 7 to 22KWH slow chargers (i.e., fully charging an EV could take 10 hours which no traveler is going to use unless having no other choice) vs DC Fast Chargers (50-150KWH ballpark which can fully charge a EV in 1 hour or less.  7-22KWH are more for home/local area use, hotel overnight use, etc.

But with above being said, there seems to be enough DC Fast Chargers available for any long trip "as long as a person plans ahead to say recharge with at least 25% charge remaining and that plan having scoped out more than one DC Fast Charger in the general area where a person plans to recharge since some chargers may be inop/in use when you arrive.   Depending on where a person trip goes he may have access to many DC Fast Chargers along the way....but if the trip involves travel in the more rural areas of Thailand then more careful planning may be required due to fewer DC Fast Chargers. 

Right now I've registered with 4 charging apps that gives me access to around 87% of the DC Fast Chargers in Thailand but if none or few of those chargers are along your particular trip or you let your charge get too low it can create the "EV range anxiety" that we hear about all the time.  In some countries that EV Range Anxiety can be worst than others....like it common in the U.S. which is a BIG country with lots of rural communities......l......o.......n.......g rural roads where chargers are few.    BUT here in Thailand...a much smaller country when compared to the U.S. mainland... for those of us who live in cities like Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, etc.,  and mainly travel to other cities then with just a little planning then range anxiety should be minimal to non-existent for your trip of a few hundred kilometers.  And Thailand is adding more and more DC Fast Chargers everyday...at a very healthy clip....I just hope Thailand does a good job of keeping them operational 24 hours a day/7 days a week.

And yea....the ride in an EV can definitely be nice compared to a typical ICE vehicle.  I have a 2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0L diesel and now a BYD Atto 3 EV.  Since I've got the EV I only drive the Fortuner every few weeks to exercise it a little, top-up the ol' 12V lead acid battery.  Today was one of those days I only drove the Fortuner and after driving my BYD Atto 3 driving the Fortuner was definitely NOT as nice of a ride as compared to the Atto.  The Atto is a smoother/quieter ride....the Atto has more get-up-and-go....and the Atto electric fuel cost is 78%/less cheaper per kilometer compared to the Fortuner diesel fuel cost per kilometer.  But I still like the Fortuner in numerous ways that I won't go into.   

Assuming my BYD Atto doesn't give me any problems down the road/over the coming years at this point in time I don't see myself ever buying another ICE vehicle like my 15 years old Fortuner which still runs great and looks great...I have taken good care of it since day 1....but now I only drive it every few weeks.  Now don't get me wrong, ICE vehicles will still be with us for decades to come but they have probably reached a peak in total sales as EVs sales are growing fast in many countries like Thailand.  Sales growth in every country will vary and I expect BIG countries like the U.S. that sales growth will be slower when compared to other countries like Thailand especially since Thailand is offering very good EV subsidies/tax reductions for at least several more years.  

Oh yea, there are also a lot of videos on Youtube which try to make EV appear as a fad, say EV sales are tanking, EV batteries fail all the time, etc., but I think the great, great majority of such videos are made my folks/lobby groups who want to keep ICE vehicles sales and fossil fuel sales as high as possible as long as they can as EVs is the main factor which is causing a reduction in ICEV, gas sales.  Just my opinion...everyone has one among other things. 

Cheers and Happy Holidays

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I registered for the ReverSharger app which is chargers at BYD Showrooms, Malls and Shell stations.

Requires a debit/credit and your tax information if you are to make a booking at Malls or Shell. The booking includes a fee of 10 baht an hour for DC and 50 baht an hour for AC.

You choose your length of preferred booking from 15 minutes up to 8 hours .

Charges seem to be, for DC, 7.5 baht per kw at pumps, 8 baht at BYD and 10 baht at malls.

For AC , at cafes, restaurants or guesthouses etc, the price varies from 5 baht an hour to 50 baht an hour with an overtime fee from 100 to 500 baht an hour, prices set by locations.

Some BYD Showrooms chargers are only available from Friday 10 pm to Monday 7 am , others don’t specify any times so maybe 24 hrs (?).

Initially i was keen to add another charging app to my list but this one seems a little vague with the strange booking process and fees, also the limited availability of chargers at some BYD showrooms.

But, have registered now so might just pull into a showroom sometime to see what the actual experience is like, not a fan of the booking idea.

Of course, some might be already put off by the request for tax information !! ( although if just using BYD locations that might not be required ? ).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I registered for the ReverSharger app which is chargers at BYD Showrooms, Malls and Shell stations.

Requires a debit/credit and your tax information if you are to make a booking at Malls or Shell. The booking includes a fee of 10 baht an hour for DC and 50 baht an hour for AC.

Charges seem to be, for DC, 7.5 baht per kw at pumps, 8 baht at BYD and 10 baht at malls.

For AC , at cafes, restaurants or guesthouses etc, the price varies from 5 baht an hour to 50 baht an hour with an overtime fee from 100 to 500 baht an hour, prices set by locations.

Some BYD Showrooms chargers are only available from Friday 10 pm to Monday 7 am , others don’t specify any times so maybe 24 hrs (?).

Initially i was keen to add another charging app to my list but this one seems a little vague with the strange booking process and fees, also the limited availability of chargers at some BYD showrooms.

But, have registered now so might just pull into a showroom sometime to see what the actual experience is like, not a fan of the booking idea.

Of course, some might be already put off by the request for tax information !! ( although if just using BYD locations that might not be required ? ).

I registered too and was surprised to find they were already showing my previous car there in the list.  I think the app and chargers are supplied by EA Anywhere.

17 hours ago, Pib said:

I expect taxis also have access to chargers made only available to the taxi company they rent their taxi from (for those that rent vs own).

Yea... I didn't think to ask the taxi driver guy about that possibility!

The Grab taxi guy we had sounded like he bought his own EV...because he wanted to....not because he had to or was required by Grab, etc etc...

He  was a youngish guy, and seemed to be of the opinion that EVs are the future....

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yea... I didn't think to ask the taxi driver guy about that possibility!

The Grab taxi guy we had sounded like he bought his own EV...because he wanted to....not because he had to or was required by Grab, etc etc...

He  was a youngish guy, and seemed to be of the opinion that EVs are the future....

I met a Thai tour guide a while back who bought a MG ZS EV. He piled up about 180,000 kms in a space of 2 years and he reckoned the car has paid for itself already just in fuel savings. He was so satisfied with his EV purchase that he recently purchased a BYD Atto 3 as well. He is not selling his MG though as having two’s better than having one, ain’t it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I met a Thai tour guide a while back who bought a MG ZS EV. He piled up about 180,000 kms in a space of 2 years and he reckoned the car has paid for itself already just in fuel savings. He was so satisfied with his EV purchase that he recently purchased a BYD Atto 3 as well.

Fuel cost to drive 180,000km in my gen-2 Fortuner would *cost 501,226 Baht. What does a new MG ZS EV cost? 

*Based on long term average milage of 10.77 km per liter of B7 at 29.99 per liter. 

He is not selling his MG though as having two’s better than having one, ain’t it?

If you can only drive one or the other, wouldn't it take twice as long to save enough fuel to pay for both? 

15 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I also registered and I’m please to see that BYD is currently charging ฿8/kWh which would explain why on New Year’s Eve 4 chargers at my local dealer are free.

IMG_3130.thumb.png.85db8b84e0fd9a5b8b68f1a92895bdb8.pngIMG_3131.thumb.png.d3966769099e82e30c9b14c83c02c36d.png

When I registered it asked me to enter my 17 digit vin

IMG_3136.jpeg.8110926be33d65e97bcc4375f1c4b7c1.jpeg

I was pleasantly surprised that the vin on the Seal has a QR code to allow copy the code and paste it in

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I also registered and I’m please to see that BYD is currently charging ฿8/kWh which would explain why on New Year’s Eve 4 chargers at my local dealer are free.

IMG_3130.thumb.png.85db8b84e0fd9a5b8b68f1a92895bdb8.pngIMG_3131.thumb.png.d3966769099e82e30c9b14c83c02c36d.png

I was pleasantly surprised that the vin on the Seal has a QR code to allow copy the code and paste it in

I didn’t copy the VIN number, does it mention what discount and rewards you get ?

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Fuel cost to drive 180,000km in my gen-2 Fortuner would *cost 501,226 Baht. What does a new MG ZS EV cost? 

*Based on long term average milage of 10.77 km per liter of B7 at 29.99 per liter. 

If you can only drive one or the other, wouldn't it take twice as long to save enough fuel to pay for both? 

Petrol costs around Thb 35 per litre and if I’m not mistaken, petrol cars are generally less economical than diesels?

As to why he wants 2 EVs, I didn’t ask why. Could be that he charges a different daily rate or if the tour group is bigger than 3 persons, he employs a second driver guide or maybe as a backup in case trouble develops with one or he has to send it into a workshop for some panel work or maybe his gf sold her ICEV and needs a car or, or, or…

Petrol costs around Thb 35 per litre and if I’m not mistaken, petrol cars are generally less economical than diesels?

Same model vehicle one with a 3L petrol and the other a 3L diesel, yes. But not a big fuel-hog like a 'tuna compared a little car.  The petrol MG ZS apparently gets (per carguide.com) 14.1-14.9km per liter. So, using your 35 per liter for petrol and 14.5km per liter, the cost of petrol to drive 180,000km would be 434,483, about 15% less that what it would cost to drive the 'tuna. 

Per the MG website, it looks like the base ZSEV is 949K and the base ZS petrol is 689K

Using the numbers above, you'd only start saving money driving the ZSEV vs the ZS petrol after driving 107,714km.

All of the savings discussed assumes the driver pays nothing for electricity, which is not likely.  

In the six and a half years I've been driving the Fortuner, I've averaged 1,091km per month. Assuming my driving habits were similar, it would take over eight years to justify the extra cost of the ZSEV vs the ZS petrol. 

Again, all this assumes I can get all the electricity I want for free.

As to why he wants 2 EVs, I didn’t ask why. Could be that he charges a different daily rate or if the tour group is bigger than 3 persons, he employs a second driver guide or maybe as a backup in case trouble develops with one or he has to send it into a workshop for some panel work or maybe his gf sold her ICEV and needs a car or, or, or…

I think people that want EVs should buy them, but unless they are driving over 10,000km a month, anyone thinking they are going to save significant money buying an EV is going to be sadly disappointed, unless of course they don't actually run the numbers. As long as they don't run the numbers, they can believe whatever they like. 

I might buy an EV the auto show in April, certainly going to have a look. 

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Same model vehicle one with a 3L petrol and the other a 3L diesel, yes. But not a big fuel-hog like a 'tuna compared a little car.  The petrol MG ZS apparently gets (per carguide.com) 14.1-14.9km per liter. So, using your 35 per liter for petrol and 14.5km per liter, the cost of petrol to drive 180,000km would be 434,483, about 15% less that what it would cost to drive the 'tuna. 

Per the MG website, it looks like the base ZSEV is 949K and the base ZS petrol is 689K

Using the numbers above, you'd only start saving money driving the ZSEV vs the ZS petrol after driving 107,714km.

All of the savings discussed assumes the driver pays nothing for electricity, which is not likely.  

In the six and a half years I've been driving the Fortuner, I've averaged 1,091km per month. Assuming my driving habits were similar, it would take over eight years to justify the extra cost of the ZSEV vs the ZS petrol. 

Again, all this assumes I can get all the electricity I want for free.

I think people that want EVs should buy them, but unless they are driving over 10,000km a month, anyone thinking they are going to save significant money buying an EV is going to be sadly disappointed, unless of course they don't actually run the numbers. As long as they don't run the numbers, they can believe whatever they like. 

I might buy an EV the auto show in April, certainly going to have a look. 

You could well be right. I didn’t bother checking his maths, just repeating what he told me. But I understood where he was coming from. As a driver guide, most of his days are spent driving from one place to another, all over the country. He is undoubtedly saving a fortune on fuel given the mileage he does. Probably saves a lot on maintenance as well (engine oil, transmission oil, general servicing etc).

One thing that you are overlooking is that a petrol version and an EV version of the same vehicle might not be identical in all aspects, especially the performance and comfort levels. Not sure if you have test driven an EV. It’s hard to explain the nuances to someone who hasn’t but most EV drivers I know would not purchase an ICE after having driven EVs.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Ok, I could have bought a Neta V for ฿500,000 or pushed the boat out and splashed ฿700,000 on an MG4 but instead I spent ฿1.6m on a BYD Seal AWD Performance. 

I probably didn’t make this purchase primarily to save money. If my criteria was the cheapest car you can buy in Thailand with a 0-100kph in less than 4 seconds, then I bagged a bargain.

CarsinThailandlessthan4seconds0-100k.thumb.jpeg.1a6ad5f68f4f9e049234df2d0a2225f5.jpeg

However, my car does provide the equivalent of 6 Tesla PowerWalls of backup power to my house now it really sounds like a bargain 

IMG_3139.thumb.jpeg.61b51ea83e5c45c85bdfecbe630e0805.jpeg

I don’t have to pay to power my car if my journey is less than 600km, but this isn’t a huge saving. 

I’m sure anyone buying a BMW M4 doesn’t brag about the savings so neither will I

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Best Selling passenger vehicles in November

Best_Seller_Passenger_nov_2023-edit(1).jpg.e10f58799df9e067b9be2386a450beba.jpg

By segment  - mixed EV and ICE:

bsuv_crossover_nov_2023-copy.jpg.cbeae15f91c665f4460b80884c6fe694.jpgcsegment_nov_2023-copy.jpg.6a77fc5341571a43518ae3d9239ab561.jpgcsuv_crossover_nov23-copy.jpg.d93a390e581a881ad3e86dc758b43997.jpgdsegment_nov_2023-copy.jpg.8151f5b2fbde64d76e0cdad1c2cada50.jpgeco_bseg_sedan_nov_23-copy.jpg.5131c51470fe3657b66211bce783e826.jpgminimpv_nov_2023-copy.jpg.92259aeff0077837a215cc12d83d0892.jpgpickup_nov23-copy-edit.jpg.9ece78eeea08357a1f645cf19612ca16.jpgsuv_ppv_nov_2023-copy.jpg.fa61c89b8351f13f9ac7cf3a0ecec0ed.jpgvan_mpv_11seats_nov2023-copy.jpg.5220aeac7c16a9197f40ee478433254b.jpg

412538088_355363930463077_2993849867054158796_n.thumb.jpg.d9f32d35b6746fcf9946633ff181f387.jpg

Mind-boggling that the GWM Tank 500 at a price of THB 2,3 M is showing such a respectable sales figure - outselling established brands.

Missing in action in this list is the MG Maxus - plenty of those around here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

You could well be right. I didn’t bother checking his maths, just repeating what he told me. But I understood where he was coming from. As a driver guide, most of his days are spent driving from one place to another, all over the country. He is undoubtedly saving a fortune on fuel given the mileage he does. Probably saves a lot on maintenance as well (engine oil, transmission oil, general servicing etc).

Ad indicated in my post, the guy driving that much can save some dough, particularly if they have a solar farm. 

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

One thing that you are overlooking is that a petrol version and an EV version of the same vehicle might not be identical in all aspects, especially the performance and comfort levels. Not sure if you have test driven an EV. It’s hard to explain the nuances to someone who hasn’t but most EV drivers I know would not purchase an ICE after having driven EVs.

I'm not overlooking it, I just do not have the relevant information to include it. The EV would likely be quieter and perform better but would probably not be more comfortable. I've also not mentioned anything about the additional inconvenience associated with each. The it was just a quick cost analysis; I made no claim about one being better than the other. 

Again, the best reason a new car is because you want a new car, and the best car to buy is one you like. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Ad indicated in my post, the guy driving that much can save some dough, particularly if they have a solar farm. 

I'm not overlooking it, I just do not have the relevant information to include it. The EV would likely be quieter and perform better but would probably not be more comfortable. I've also not mentioned anything about the additional inconvenience associated with each. The it was just a quick cost analysis; I made no claim about one being better than the other. 

Again, the best reason a new car is because you want a new car, and the best car to buy is one you like. 

Gave you a thumbs up for your post as I fully agree.

Having previously owned premium brands such as Mercedes, Audi and Lexus (drove BMW’s but never owned one), I can genuinely hand on heart opine that my 1.7 million baht EV is as comfortable (if not more so). Even my simple farmer girl gf concurred when she sat in my sister’s Mercedes GLC. 

Test drive a Haval H6 or BYD Seal. I bet you will be suitably impressed.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Gave you a thumbs up for your post as I fully agree.

Having previously owned premium brands such as Mercedes, Audi and Lexus (drove BMW’s but never owned one), I can genuinely hand on heart opine that my 1.7 million baht EV is as comfortable (if not more so). Even my simple farmer girl gf concurred when she sat in my sister’s Mercedes GLC. 

How tall are you? 

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Test drive a Haval H6 or BYD Seal. I bet you will be suitably impressed.

Don't like the look of the Seal, I do like the Haval and see a lot of them. There is also a dealer less than 500m from the house. 

I like the look of the GoodCat but to tough getting in and out. 

Just now, Yellowtail said:

How tall are you? 

Don't like the look of the Seal, I do like the Haval and see a lot of them. There is also a dealer less than 500m from the house. 

I like the look of the GoodCat but to tough getting in and out. 

1,8 metres. The Haval I have is the PHEV. 34 kWh battery, real world range of 150-180 km, depending on how heavy footed you are. 

For my 2nd car, I chose the BYD Dolphin over the Good Cat because of V2L and boot space. Looks wise, my gf preferred the Meoww.

3 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

1,8 metres. The Haval I have is the PHEV. 34 kWh battery, real world range of 150-180 km, depending on how heavy footed you are. 

For my 2nd car, I chose the BYD Dolphin over the Good Cat because of V2L and boot space. Looks wise, my gf preferred the Meoww.

It does look like a chick car, but I don't care about that, I like chicks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

12 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I registered too and was surprised to find they were already showing my previous car there in the list.  I think the app and chargers are supplied by EA Anywhere.

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Have you guys tried to add a "payment option" yet?  I too registered for the ReverSharger app no problem but I can not add my Bangkok Bank Mastercard debit card which four other charging apps gladly accepted (i.e., PTT EV Station Pluz, Elexa by Egat, PEA, and EA Everywhere apps).   I also tried a 2nd Bangkok Bank debit card with no joy.  I haven't tried to see if the ReverSharger might accept one of my US credit/debit cards.

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

Have you guys tried to add a "payment option" yet?  I too registered for the ReverSharger app no problem but I can not add my Bangkok Bank Mastercard debit card which four other charging apps gladly accepted (i.e., PTT EV Station Pluz, Elexa by Egat, PEA, and EA Everywhere apps).   I also tried a 2nd Bangkok Bank debit card with no joy.  I haven't tried to see if the ReverSharger might accept one of my US credit/debit cards.

It wouldn’t accept my Bangkok Bank debit card ( I put it down to it being that worse than useless UnionPay ) but it did accept my U.K. credit card.

To be honest I probably will avoid using the ReverSharger chargers unless I am in a tight spot for a couple of reasons.

I don’t like the booking idea.

The BYD showroom chargers are only on a weekend for some showrooms and at 8 baht they are not the cheapest.

But also, using my U.K. credit card will probably prompt them to freeze my card , they seem to like doing that if I have not used it for a while and have a transaction in foreign climes, which means I have to physically call the bank to in freeze it.