Electric Vehicles in Thailand

14 minutes ago, Pib said:

RY1 Private Car for Not More Than 7 People total for May was 45,101 for all types of vehicles (i.e., petrol, diesel, BEV, CNG, etc).   5,274 of the 45,101 was BEV which  works out to 11.7% of total.

Compared to RY1 data for Apr total there was 38,022 of which 4007 were BEV which works out to 10.5%.

This is just RY1 data.  News reports usually throw in a few other categories which have low numbers but the news article all to often fail to say what other categories than RY1 they counted.

Sales/registrations are still sluggish...higher debt, tougher finance requirements, etc.

Last month our northern wine conneciour  was all dressed 👗 up and ready to go when he was denied entry at the last step to the Pearly Gate, thanks to 266 EV buyers.

Back on green pasture, in the claim that we will never see 3 consecutive months of falling EV sales, the clock ️ is again ticking down with May's y-o-y drop in registrations. 

Screenshot_20240607_203507_Chart Maker.jpg

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Last month our northern wine conneciour  was all dressed 👗 up and ready to go when he was denied entry at the last step to the Pearly Gate, thanks to 266 EV buyers.

Back on green pasture, in the claim that we will never see 3 consecutive months of falling EV sales, the clock ️ is again ticking down with May's y-o-y drop in registrations. 

Keep in mind the May 2024 "registrations" number is pure RY1 per DLT stats....as was the Apr 2024 data was pure RY1.  News media often report more than RY1 like in Apr 2024 where you have 4088 which includes some other categories other than RY1....what low number other categories I couldn't say because it's too much of pain/head-scratcher trying to figure what other categories some news reports use.   

And when it comes to "sales" data that some websites report (like autolife) god knows how they collect that sales data...best case it's ballpark data which excludes whether the sale finally reached the registration stage or died when the finance company say No to the applicant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

Keep in mind the May 2024 "registrations" number is pure RY1 per DLT stats....as was the Apr 2024 data was pure RY1.  News media often report more than RY1 like in Apr 2024 where you have 4088 which includes some other categories other than RY1....what low number other categories I couldn't say because it's too much of pain/head-scratcher trying to figure what other categories some news reports use.   

And when it comes to "sales" data that some websites report (like autolife) god knows how they collect that sales data...best case it's ballpark data which excludes whether the sale finally reached the registration stage or died when the finance company say No to the applicant.

True, but in April that only added 81 vehicles to the EV registrations tally.

I don't think even a Florida style re-count will change that we have a y-o-y drop in May, but more numbers are always welcome and appreciated.

8 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

True, but in April that only added 81 vehicles to the EV registrations tally.

I don't think even a Florida style re-count will change that we have a y-o-y drop in May, but more numbers are always welcome and appreciated.

Yea...please continue your spreadsheet....while the numbers are not exact since it's very, very hard to get exact numbers due to how media reports the numbers and how DLT provides public data, your numbers are definitely well inside the ballpark....well inside the infield.  Thanks.

Personally, I don't expect to see vehicle sales, ICE or EV, start to pickup until Oct-Dec.  2024 is going to be a sluggish year.   And I just notice that Suzuki announced today they are closing their auto factory in Thailand in 2025 partly due to sluggish Thailand sales. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

DLT is reporting for 

R.Y.1 Private passenger car with no more than 7 people
January  2024 13,321
February 2024 3,530
March    2024 4,722
April    2024 4,009

Total sales figures for RY1 for 2024 from 1st February 2024 to 31st May 2024 17,535
so if just looking at R.Y.1 you might want to update your chart

8 hours ago, vinny41 said:

DLT is reporting for 

R.Y.1 Private passenger car with no more than 7 people
January  2024 13,321
February 2024 3,530
March    2024 4,722
April    2024 4,009

Total sales figures for RY1 for 2024 from 1st February 2024 to 31st May 2024 17,535
so if just looking at R.Y.1 you might want to update your chart

I have been using the autolife numbers, which seems to include all EVs.

Hopefully they will eventually update the chart with May's numbers.

Screenshot_20240608_062156_Chrome.jpg

10 hours ago, Pib said:

RY1 Private Car for Not More Than 7 People total for May was 45,101 for all types of vehicles (i.e., petrol, diesel, BEV, CNG, etc).   5,274 of the 45,101 was BEV which  works out to 11.7% of total.

Compared to RY1 data for Apr total there was 38,022 of which 4007 were BEV which works out to 10.5%.

This is just RY1 data.  News reports usually throw in a few other categories which have low numbers but the news article all to often fail to say what other categories than RY1 they counted.

Sales/registrations are still sluggish...higher debt, tougher finance requirements, etc.

So to summarise.

The Automarket appears to be in recession.

The share of BEV's increased this month over last month.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

So to summarise.

That would be a false 👎 statement as we have the first y-o-y fall in EVs share of the market.

Screenshot_20240607_203544_Chart Maker.jpg

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

So to summarise.

The share of BEV's increased this month over last month. shouldn't be a surprise to anyone as we know 17,000 reservations were made for BEV's at the recent motor show last week march 1st week April

19 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

So to summarise.

2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That would be a false 👎 statement as we have the first y-o-y fall in EVs share of the market.

Screenshot_20240607_203544_Chart Maker.jpg

Which statement in my summary was false?

Just now, ExpatOilWorker said:

Way back, many moons and boxes of wine 🍷 ago, it was squarely settled that month to month comparisons are total nonsense as auto sales are extreme seasonal. Y-o-y comparison is the only valid comparison and that was you leading that debate, back then.

That's as maybe, but you said I made a false statement, which of the two was it?

Was it 

Or

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

That's as maybe, but you said I made a false statement, which of the two was it?

Was it 

Or

I ignored the "over last month" part as I didn't think you were back on the cherry farm.

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I ignored the "over last month" part as I didn't think you were back on the cherry farm.

i genuinely thought you (ExpatOilWorker) are the cherry farmer ... :smile: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

i genuinely thought you (ExpatOilWorker) are the cherry farmer ... :smile: 

I am just the factual messenger that get shot every time. The cherry 🍒 farm is located in the outback behind Brokeback Mountain ⛰️

Ohh no! Chinese IP67 is more about ingress than protection.

The real story, why isn't this wet Seal owner sharing a happy story of BYD handing him the keys to a new vehicle?

Surely his car is still under the amazing BYD warranty. 

Screenshot_20240608_094635_Facebook.jpg

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Ohh no! Chinese IP67 is more about ingress than protection.

The real story, why isn't this wet Seal owner sharing a happy story of BYD handing him the keys to a new vehicle?

Surely his car is still under the amazing BYD warranty. 

Screenshot_20240608_094635_Facebook.jpg

However, after trending on social media earlier this morning, the insurance company called to inform that the cost of the repair has been approved. The car is expected to be received in 2-3 days. I admit that it has been a good car all through. But when I encounter such an incident after the repair, I would have thought of selling it and looking for another type of car that is not an electric car to use instead. Due to the current weather, there are frequent floods.

https://www.facebook.com/onenews31

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

The posted pictures seem to be those of when the owner moved the car to a higher location (i.e.,a low level of flooding).  The posted pictures could mislead people into thinking a low water level shown in the pictures damaged the battery.   

I wonder how deep the water level was where the car actually got flooded....that is, the location "before" the owner moved the car higher ground.  Was it half way up the wheels, etc?   

Heck, I've drove thru water as deep as shown in the pictures  for around a kilometer on Rama II Road (part under construction) in Samut Sakhom province last November.  It was not planned....rain storm came quickly...road construction had clogged-up the road drainage pipes...nowhere to get off the multilane highway....the road turned into a traffic jam of thousands of cars slowing moving thru water approx 150mm deep for around a kilometer.  The ground clearage of an Atto 3 is 175mm compared to a 145mm for a Seal.

image.png.bb37b5b1cbf9f5da659f8a9b91f86d8c.png

There is one thing I’m rather curious about. Say you own an electrical appliance. Could be a fan, a microwave, a mobile phone or a  golf buggy. Would you leave it in water at a depth that might cover the electronic components in said appliance? And if you do, would you be surprised if said appliance stops working?

Even if it wasn’t an electrical appliance, like say, a book. Would you leave your book in a pool of water and then be surprised that the pages might fall out?

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

There is one thing I’m rather curious about. Say you own an electrical appliance. Could be a fan, a microwave, a mobile phone or a  golf buggy. Would you leave it in water at a depth that might cover the electronic components in said appliance? And if you do, would you be surprised if said appliance stops working?

Even if it wasn’t an electrical appliance, like say, a book. Would you leave your book in a pool of water and then be surprised that the pages might fall out?

I would indeed like to have seen the water around the Seal before the owner moved it to higher ground, took pictures, and posted them.  The owner probably parks it in a location convenient/close to his home/business....maybe can't park in a carport at his home/townhouse/etc....only soi parking....but I'm guessing.

In Bangkok and many locations in Thailand (in the city or rural areas) when it rains the water level on some roads can rise quickly...easily rise to the top (or above) curb level.   I've personally seen in many, many times....no need for pictures, TV news reports, etc.   A curb is typically around 6 inches/150mm in height.   

Heck, here in my own western Bangkok gated moobaan when it rains hard some of the moobaan "main" sois which have curbs around 150mm in height completely fill-up or even overflow a little.   This height of water can hang around for maybe an hour until the pumps in the moobaan drain off the main sois.   But if you are driving to/from your home within the moobaan when this rain happens you just slush thru the water...fortunately the "side" sois the houses are on don't flood as they are about a 250mm above the main sois....but to get to your side soi you first need to drive on the main sois which flood sometimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

The posted pictures seem to be those of when the owner moved the car to a higher location (i.e.,a low level of flooding).  The posted pictures could mislead people into thinking a low water level shown in the pictures damaged the battery.   

I wonder how deep the water level was where the car actually got flooded....that is, the location "before" the owner moved the car higher ground.  Was it half way up the wheels, etc?   

Heck, I've drove thru water as deep as shown in the pictures  for around a kilometer on Rama II Road (part under construction) in Samut Sakhom province last November.  It was not planned....rain storm came quickly...road construction had clogged-up the road drainage pipes...nowhere to get off the multilane highway....the road turned into a traffic jam of thousands of cars slowing moving thru water approx 150mm deep for around a kilometer.  The ground clearage of an Atto 3 is 175mm compared to a 145mm for a Seal.

Interesting plot twist. The real owner is a foreigner.

Screenshot_20240608_222345_Facebook.jpg

1 hour ago, Pib said:

I can't 100% conform it, but I think this is a picture of the car before it was moved.

FB_IMG_1717860391720.jpg

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Interesting plot twist. The real owner is a foreigner.

Screenshot_20240608_222345_Facebook.jpg

The owner is Thai The husband is a foreigner he advise wife to buy Hybrid Wife said no she wanted EV

bizarrely Husband was going to his embassy on Monday about this problem

Not sure what he expected embassy to do

I see reports of similar problem with MG EP/ES although cost substantially lower as only 2 of the 6 battery modules affected so only B140,000 for replacement

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Like 1