Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 6/20/2024 at 11:55 PM, vinny41 said:

On June 17, 2024, reporters reported that The 100% Chinese electric car company BYD is preparing to officially open the BYD car factory at WHA Industrial Estate, Rayong Province, Thailand on July 4th.

The reporter further reported that This factory will begin producing the first 100% electric cars ( EVs ) for the Thai market. And to support export markets in ASEAN and Europe as well, is BYD Dolphin

And previously, Reve Thailand announced the idea that it plans to produce and assemble a plug-in hybrid vehicle (PHEV) at its factory in Thailand as well. Because the company cannot import and sell the entire vehicle. Because the tax costs are quite high.

https://www.prachachat.net/motoring/news-1588401

Did the BYD factory 🏭 open on July 4th?

Posted (edited)

image.png.d1cdd8cf2144bc54f2a0ea3d7174d624.png

MG ZS  EV back on sale this month ... 12.65% off old MSRP

Or possibly the new MSRP

Ours still insured for 860k baht, if totaled or stolen, so we'd get a new car 👍

image.png.9d8f97f2f5e57ccd2789140ddfdceec9.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Shock horror - consumers getting better value for money, what an awful concept. I would rather pay more for an ICE and line the pockets of the legacy manufacturers who are rinsing you and me. What an odd outlook you have. How much profit are they taking from each sale? Huge amounts.

My last two ICEV purchases were 3.3m and 2.4m baht. I feel sick knowing I now could have got a top line Seal Prformance for 1.59m baht and it would cream my current car in almost all respects. For what I would get with a Seal vs what I would get with my 3.3m or 2.4m baht cars just makes me feel stupid. Performance obviously is worlds apart, but technology and interior spec is also worlds apart. The Seal wasn't a thing when I bought those cars, it was an ICEV world, but my how things change. Shame that some dinosaur thinkers can't change with it and you harp on about your overpriced, old technology, poorly built rubbish (I own two of these overpriced machines).

I also bought a stupid Honda for my wife (and kids) for 1.1m. A Dolphin would urinate all over it and is half the price. An Atto would cream it and is two thirds the price.

You may be happy paying over the odds for old technology vehicles but I am not.

Value for money?

Every model from China 🇨🇳 is on fire 🔥 sale. Build cheap - sell cheap.

Screenshot_20240707_184859_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

image.png.d1cdd8cf2144bc54f2a0ea3d7174d624.png

MG ZS  EV back on sale this month ... 12.65% off old MSRP

Or possibly the new MSRP

Ours still insured for 860k baht, if totaled or stolen, so we'd get a new car 👍

image.png.9d8f97f2f5e57ccd2789140ddfdceec9.png

I think you'll find it's actually on sale for 699,000 (MG perhaps being more subtle with their price cuts?).

Seems like a bargain now at half the UK price but that's a lot of depreciation for existing owners.

https://www.car250.com/zs-ev-thr-2024-1.html.

Reduced price 250,000 baht MG ZS EV remaining 699,000 – 799,000 baht

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Second month in a row with falling registration numbers for BYD.

The Thai's have had enough of BeYond Discount!

Screenshot_20240708_103834_Chart Maker.jpg

Screenshot_20240707_215536_Facebook.jpg

We can't say that without comparing what happened in the overall market.

The important thing is the precentage (to use your word) share of EV's .  Is the EV share going up and the ICE share going down?

1 hour ago, matchar said:

I think you'll find it's actually on sale for 699,000 (MG perhaps being more subtle with their price cuts?).

Seems like a bargain now at half the UK price but that's a lot of depreciation for existing owners.

https://www.car250.com/zs-ev-thr-2024-1.html.

Reduced price 250,000 baht MG ZS EV remaining 699,000 – 799,000 baht

Those prices aren't on the MG TH website, and no current promotions showing. 

A bargain ... IF you can find it

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

We can't say that without comparing what happened in the overall market.

The important thing is the precentage (to use your word) share of EV's .  Is the EV share going up and the ICE share going down?

From what I can see both ICE and EV registration numbers for June are almost identical to May, but let's wait for the numbers to be released later today.

BYD was the 1,000 lbs gorilla in 2023, as @Pib so eloquently puts it, but slowly they are being reduced to a small monkey. 

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

You often hear that replacement EV batteries are expensive.

My BYD Seal is designed to have at least 70% capacity after 160,000km and it is warrantied as such. So I am unlikely to need to replaced it during the 8 year warranty period. If I wanted to replace it after that what does it cost? 

IMG_4536.thumb.jpeg.c4324934474daea07667e7225f3920b2.jpeg

IMG_4537.thumb.jpeg.f451469873d0f7df926392fcb6a096c6.jpeg

An 86kWh battery for my Seal AWD cost ฿6,237 per kWh. 

So how does that compare to domestic solar LFP batteries?

I have 4x9kWh LFP solar batteries that cost me ฿9,555 per kWh. 

So the BYD batteries look good value 

20231221_105449058_iOS.thumb.jpeg.ee707cde45ee9c88921e7d69f7ded34b.jpeg

Does that battery price include labor to swap out the battery or is that extra?

The battery cost for your Seal 🦭 over 160,000 km is 3.60 baht/km or the equivalent of 10 km/l if dino fuel ️ was used. That is rather expensive. 

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

A 10 yr old ICEV isn't worth anything to me, and I wouldn't want one

I'd say it depends on the car. I have an ICE that's more than 10 years old and I love it (a Scirocco). I'm very attached to that car whereas I have no attachment to my BYD. Like the CRV I had before it. It's a great city car but if it was crushed into a small cube tomorrow (obviously a. without me in it, and b. also getting paid by the insurance) I couldn't care less. 

1 hour ago, Pib said:

DLT registration stats for RY1 category for June 2024 show a total of 43,147 registered with 5,657 (13.1%) being BEV.

image.png.8e03f5113a16c3cd717043df0c09d5c6.png

Thanks for posting the stats @Pib it’s much appreciated. 

The % of car registrations being EVs is the key number we should be discussing. It’s no good people claiming EV sales are down when ICE sales are down even more.

• Agree 1

For folks such as @Bandersnatch @KhunLA who use solar to charge their BEV, help me out in how below idea (an AutoLifeThailand article) has a chance of providing any singificant energy to to the grid since few folks have solar in Thailand (I'm not counting farmers who run a field water pump with a solar panel).....and I simply can't image that someone would want to go plug their BEV into a V2G station for say 30 minutes to an hour to feed energy into the grid and probably only get paid/credited approx half of the current going rate for home electricity grid use (i..e, home electricity cost approx Bt5/KWH which includes Ft, tax, meter fee).

Maybe this will create electricity smuggling....somehow figure out how to get free electricity from a commerical DC Fast Charger (hack it for free charging maybe) or maybe have  family/friend that let's you use their home wall charger for free and then drive your BEV full of free electricity to the nearest V2G station to upload it to the grid with maybe recieve a credit/payback of Bt2.5 to Bt3 per KWH as the company has to make a profit thru resale of the electricity.  

https://autolifethailand.tv/nissan-join-hands-with-3-partners-to-launch-vehicle-to-grid-project/

Nissan partners with 3 agencies to launch a test project to use electricity from vehicles back into the power grid (Vehicle to Grid)

Vehicle-to-Grid-project-1068x712.jpg

At the Faculty of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University, V2G study for sustainable energy management

Recently, Nissan Motor (Thailand) together with project partners including Faculty of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University, Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) and Haupcar Co., Ltd. launched a project to test the use of electricity from cars back into the grid or Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) by using the bi-directional charge capability of Nissan LEAF which can be used for more than just a vehicle to study sustainable energy management in the future together.

This project is part of Nissan's commitment to create a pollution-free society and improve people's travel and lifestyles through electric vehicles and technological innovations under the Blue Switch project, which was initiated in Japan in 2018.

Currently, the Nissan Leaf is one of the first electric vehicles with technology that transfers energy from the vehicle to the grid, which can use the electricity from the vehicle to use in buildings, homes or charge everyday electrical appliances.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Pib said:

For folks such as @Bandersnatch @KhunLA who use solar to charge their BEV, help me out in how below idea (an AutoLifeThailand article) has a chance of providing any singificant energy to to the grid since few folks have solar in Thailand (I'm not counting farmers who run a field water pump with a solar panel).....and I simply can't image that someone would want to go plug their BEV into a V2G station for say 30 minutes to an hour to feed energy into the grid and probably only get paid/credited approx half of the current going rate for home electricity grid use (i..e, home electricity cost approx Bt5/KWH which includes Ft, tax, meter fee).

Maybe this will create electricity smuggling....somehow figure out how to get free electricity from a commerical DC Fast Charger (hack it for free charging maybe) or maybe have  family/friend that let's you use their home wall charger for free and then drive your BEV full of free electricity to the nearest V2G station to upload it to the grid with maybe recieve a credit/payback of Bt2.5 to Bt3 per KWH as the company has to make a profit thru resale of the electricity.  

https://autolifethailand.tv/nissan-join-hands-with-3-partners-to-launch-vehicle-to-grid-project/

Nissan partners with 3 agencies to launch a test project to use electricity from vehicles back into the power grid (Vehicle to Grid)

At the Faculty of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University, V2G study for sustainable energy management

Recently, Nissan Motor (Thailand) together with project partners including Faculty of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University, Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) and Haupcar Co., Ltd. launched a project to test the use of electricity from cars back into the grid or Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) by using the bi-directional charge capability of Nissan LEAF which can be used for more than just a vehicle to study sustainable energy management in the future together.

This project is part of Nissan's commitment to create a pollution-free society and improve people's travel and lifestyles through electric vehicles and technological innovations under the Blue Switch project, which was initiated in Japan in 2018.

Currently, the Nissan Leaf is one of the first electric vehicles with technology that transfers energy from the vehicle to the grid, which can use the electricity from the vehicle to use in buildings, homes or charge everyday electrical appliances.

Over to @Bandersnatch for that one, as I can't be bothered, and want nothing to do with PEA/grid.  Though I should pay attention, as may actually need someday, if have an oops, and don't want to use the grid.

I know he doesn't feed the grid, but does use BEV as a back up to his solar system,  Thread explaining that here

Any BEV that already has the V2L capability can feed the house.  Leaf is nothing special, I don't think.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

Some BEVs are getting cheaper & cheaper and Wuling is offering an AC Level 2 charger only model--that is, it does "not" include DC Charger capability.  Or for an additional Bt30K they include the additional hardware for DC Charging capaibliyt up to a 50KW rate which would charge the battery from 30 to 80% in 35 minutes.   

Personally, I would never buy either of these models but I can see people buying them for an "in-town/local car use only" when the person does have home charging capaiblity (i.e, a wall charger).

https://www.wulingthai.com/booking/model

image.png.ae531afc61936599b206d05a683a045d.png

Below is a partial snapshot of brochure of above Wuling models.   Notice there is a "AC" model which only uses Level 2 charging (i.e., like a home 7KW wallcharger) and a "DC" model that has both AC Level 2 and DC Charger capability at 50KW.

image.png.9b655e724e1a0ef2e3256bfba0978e60.png

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Over to @Bandersnatch for that one, as I can't be bothered, and want nothing to do with PEA/grid.  Though I should pay attention, as may actually need someday, if have an oops, and don't want to use the grid.

I know he doesn't feed the grid, but does use BEV as a back up to his solar system,  Thread explaining that here

Yea...I know you can power your home (ie., Vehicle to Home)....but feeding the energy back into the grid by going to a V2G station seems to be something very, very, very few people would have the time or desire to do.  

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Some BEVs are getting cheaper & cheaper and Wuling is offering an AC Level 2 charger only model--that is, it does "not" include DC Charger capability.  Or for an additional Bt30K they include the additional hardware for DC Charging capaibliyt up to a 50KW rate which would charge the battery from 30 to 80% in 35 minutes.   

Personally, I would never buy either of these models but I can see people buying them for an "in-town/local car use only" when the person does have home charging capaiblity (i.e, a wall charger).

https://www.wulingthai.com/booking/model

image.png.ae531afc61936599b206d05a683a045d.png

Below is a partial snapshot of brochure of above Wuling models.   Notice there is a "AC" model which only uses Level 2 charging (i.e., like a home 7KW wallcharger) and a "DC" model that has both AC Level 2 and DC Charger capability at 50KW.

image.png.9b655e724e1a0ef2e3256bfba0978e60.png

Hard to justify buying the Wuling, when for a wee bit more, you can have the Neta V.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pib said:

They always wheel out Nissan Leafs with CHAdeMO connectors when they talk about V2G, unfortunately Nissan has now moved to CCS a standard which has not been approved for V2G.

I currently use V2L from my EV to power my house at night sometimes. My inverters are Hybrid Off-Grid meaning that they can import from the Grid (if I had a meter) but cannot export. You need an on-grid inverter which synchronizes to the Grid to be able to export. 

Thailand has excess energy at night that is why it offers half price TOU rates 

MEATimeOfRate.jpg.6bcefdd43cd7b740ecebbec45bdf79ba.jpg

In the UK companies like octopus energy offer a number of rates at different times of the day which is great for people with EVs to charge their cars and for people with solar and batteries to sell back at peak demand

ImportExportRate2.thumb.jpg.c8706b26c80255b1cb5ade3b8ee39ac6.jpg

I would need a simple export on-grid inverter to sell power back from my EV to the Grid, but PEA prevents me doing that: they only allow a maximum of 5kW of PV on single phase and your inverter needs to be on their approved list.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, 4 of the 5 men in the picture must thing it's a GREAT idea as they are giving it the thumbs up.  Although the 5th guy did give a thumbs up (or down) he is smiling like it's a great idea.

10 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I would need a simple export on-grid inverter to sell power back from my EV to the Grid, but PEA prevents me doing that: they only allow a maximum of 5kW of PV on single phase and your inverter needs to be on their approved list.

Yea, PEA or MEA don't seem to make it easy, cost-effective, and/or desireable for the typical solar user to feed enery into the grid.   I'm not expecting Thailand to become a "hub" of home solar to grid anytime soon...or even in several decades.   Plenty of sunshine year-round but very little to no monetary incentive for the average Thai to make such a solar investment.

I know here in my large Bangkok moobaan of around 900 standalone homes owned by middle to high income folks that only a handfull have any type of solar, some solar panels on the roof, etc.  I guess there is just no monetary incentive to do such.   But I do expect to continue to see the occassional media release trying to convince the public that the Thai govt and some organizations fully support such.  

4 hours ago, Pib said:

I don't think so....I think Thais still like BYD vehicles....when they think EV they probably think BYD in the same thought out of the 35 manfuacturers which have sold BEVs in Thailand in 2024 according to DLT stats.  

But of course people are not happy about big price reductions for most all BEVs (regardless of the manufacturer) when they bought at a higher price thinking the  price would "not" go any lower except "maybe" a little bit for some models especially since the history of vehicle cost in Thailand has generally been the price has either stayed the same or went up a little every year.....but this way of thinking has been driven by ICEVs for decades...the Toyota, Honda, and Isuzu's which rule the Thailand vehicle market...has set the prices for many years. 

It really good news overall that BEV prices are going down (and at a much faster rate than ICEVs)....but if you bought at a higher price you are probably not going to be too happy about it...can pis$-off person.   But people also need to undestand we are undergoing a HUGE technical logical shift in vehicle technolgy...the shift from fossil fuelled vehicle to electric fuelled vehicles....IMO it just like the shift from horse & buggy to fossil fuelled vehicle that began around a century ago and took about three decades to do most of that transition.

But back to current day.  Of the RY1 category vehicles (i.e, private vehicles with no more than 7 passengers) of the 5,657 BEVs (100% electric) registered in June 1,823 of them were BYD BEVs....a little over 32 percent of the total.  Almost 1 of 3 or almost one-third of all RY1 BEVs

In February it was a little over 30%, in March it was almost 24%, in Apr was a little over 22%, in May it was almost 38%, and as already mentioned in June a little over 32%. Monthly variations....but the average of those five numbers gives a little over 29%.  

And I'm must going to ignore the January number which was 7,880 BYD BEVs regestered out of the 13,314 total RY1 BEVs which equates to a little over 59%.  Ignore that since it's spike resulting from End of Year craiziness and fear of the govt subsidy for BEVs being reduced...maybe BEVs prices heading north a little in 2024, etc.   

BUT, if I didn't ignore January then regristrations for January-June a total of 36,397 RY1 BEVs registered of which 14,665 (or 40.3%) were BYD BEVs.    BYD is still definitely the biggest pig at the Thailand BEV trough...and maybe no longer a 1,000 pound guerrila but stil at least a 800 pound guerrila in the BEV market.

And below is the model breakout of the 1,823 BYD BEVs registered in June: 

Atto-819.....Dolphin-754......Seal-249.......E6-1

For June 2024...partial snapshot of DLT stats

image.png.c11f97fa94192c40ef5d475d2da677f8.png

• Thanks 2

And since we talked Wulin BEVs a little, below is how many were RY1 category "registered" for June 2024....a total of 34.

Per June 2024 DLT stats

image.png.4d8e1f4e5cc7792792918b3b2c7411da.png

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

And for NETA, ORA, and DEEPAL BEVs per June 2024 DLT stats.

Total of 437 for June 2024

image.png.72c021a22b76845345421a96cb7acedc.png

Total of 342 for June 2024

image.png.571c6726389d5b557b832c5fd2a1bdf0.png

Total of 765 for June 2024

image.png.173097af263a152740412225f1a85a13.png

Edited by Pib

Posted (edited)

Regarding ongoing EV price cuts, a news article in the 8 June 2024 Bangkok Post titled, "Chinese EV Price Cuts Get TCCT Green Light" says the Trade Competition Commission of Thailand (TCCT) has determined the price war amoung EV manaufactuers/dealerships does not violate Thailand trade competition law but rather fosters competitioin.

Summary: the Thai govt is OK-fine with the ongoing price war and those complaining about their vehicle they bought over the last year or so "now" being sold new at a much lower price will have no basis in law in filing a complaint.  

Edit: and I just noticed there is a 6 June 2024 Bangkok Post news article titled, "BYD Urged to Shield EV Prices" which talks a meeting between Prime Minister and the BYD Chief Executive (a Mr Wang) on 5 June where better management of customer expectations about pricing was discussed. MR Wang was visiting Thailand and paid a courtesy visit to the PM.   Mr Wang gave assurances future pricing would be appropriate and the company would find ways to help affected customers.   Sounds like a happy talk meeting where nothing will change.

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1