My EV can power my home

18 minutes ago, digbeth said:

is this highly dependent on the wall charger and supported vehicle? 

I understand the Japanese ChaDeMo charger are better in this respect as it's baked in to the charging protocol 

Did you watch the 2 videos? I covered both of these points there.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

The BYD Seal Premium has an efficiency of 7.8km/kWh and can charge at 150kW. So it can add 20km per minute while charging.  A 10 minute charge adds 200km range.

But the fast charge rate you quote is only available from a Level 3 station (needs 450v plus) so not applicable to your home charger that should be Level 2 (for safety and insurance reasons). The level 2 station does not give you the 10min/200km you quote

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 7euner said:

I had an EV in Denmark, and found that range shown by the car can not be used for anything. There is too much of a difference in types of driving. For example, range shown with full battery was 330, but driving on motorway at moderate speed would give me 220. At winter with heating on the range is rubbish.
Can you tell me how much A/C affects. I would suspect it uses a lot of energy.

AC uses very little, surprisingly.  Maybe 1-2% per hour, as we leave the dog in the car quite a lot.  And that's with the car on 'ready/full power', so if you somehow got in, you could drive away.  Nothing you'd really notice IMHO

screenshot posted here

image.png.0ff583a26ad2a25e898f379e7b3eab29.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

How can an EV be a source of power?

Already explained, quite well I may add.

Simply (must have V2L), plugging in extension cords where needed, staying under max capacity.   Which should easily run a freezer, frig, fan & light, untill power is restored, if an outage.  Or if working with tools or whatever too far away from house to run extensions.

If outages are way too common, then may add to use the breaker box option, though TBH, not something I'd bother with, and UP2U of course.   Just nice having an option to keep things running on longer outages.

Thankfully we don't have outages where I am.  1 very short one in 5 years here, though work on the line one time, did cause an outage all day.   Irrelevant for us now, since having solar w/battery back up.

Doubt if we'll ever use our V2L adaptor at home, maybe while O&A, make coffee at isolated viewpoint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Already explained, quite well I may add.

Apparently you missed my point.  An EV can never be a source of power.  The solar panels were the only source of power Bandersnatch mentioned.  What he describes is the use of his EV as a battery.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The real world range is always much less. Figure about half the range stated by the manufacturer for real world driving conditions and the average lead foot driver.

I think I'll be interested in electric cars once the average battery size hits 100 KWh. This should be good for about 500 km in eco-driving mode.

A 100 KWh battery will also make a good supplement to a household solar network. The economics of an electric car really makes sense if you can recharge it via solar generation. But you would really need a similar sized storage battery at home, to take full advantage, and quite a large solar array. Somebody has probably calculated how many solar cells you would need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kennw said:

But the fast charge rate you quote is only available from a Level 3 station (needs 450v plus) so not applicable to your home charger that should be Level 2 (for safety and insurance reasons). The level 2 station does not give you the 10min/200km you quote

Did you realise that I was responding to @KhunLA post where he was showing the range of the car? On a long trip I won't keep popping home to top up the charge on my home wall box,  I will use a fast DC chargers along my route.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Unlike ICE's, EV's actually get better mileage on short, stop-start driving around town, than on highway driving.

In 2017 Nearly 60% of All Vehicle Trips Were Less than Six Miles

NEDC / 403 kms per charge

WLTP / 320 kms per charge

Actual 11.3kWh per 100 kms = 409.7 kmsimage.png.161f5d68623e8001e3580e4607110fbc.png

10.7kWh per 100 kms = 432.7 kms

image.png.4169f52505205624d8454adf4085ba97.png

9.3kWh = 497.8 kms

image.png.86c1993724185d10410f9ee560ae5440.png

Winner is, (due to very hilly / regen) ...  5kWh = 926 kms 🤣

image.png.49cae9fbd0d8e2e3a4238af3860d3c64.png

info about

• Sad 1