Electric Vehicles in Thailand

22 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

For a minute there, I thought wow, food looks good. 

Then I saw who posted this picture. 

How sad, more than sad actually, to post a picture from a company that sells this product, rather than something that one created oneself

https://www.philips.com/c-dam/b2c/master/experience/consistency-campaign/airfryer/EU7/philips-airfryer-uk-thumbnail.jpg

This is like believing the chairman of Toyota when he says that ICEVs are the future… :cheesy:

Or me believing you're not a communist............:cheesy:

• Confused 3

12 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Wow, that's all you have to come back with??

EOW is a troll but with humour and grace - he is fun to engage with.

You on the other hand are just a cartoon.

Great, that's cheered me up......:intheclub:

• Confused 3

38 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I’ve noticed that he hardly ever posts anything of any consequence, just one liners that only he finds amusing. He also always have to have the last word, hence his almost 90k meaningless posts.

Well, he's all you guys are talking about. 

Congratulations 🎊  to all EV owners in Thailand 🇹🇭

As of today, May 17th, 2024 at noon, the 115,411 registrated EVs in Thailand have collectively done 500,000,000 miles.

1/2 billion miles driven! 🥳 🎉 🪅 🎊 .

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

As of today, May 17th, 2024 at noon, the 115,411 registrated EVs in Thailand have collectively done 500,000,000 miles.

33k of those are mine ... 😎

Equals about ฿75k saved... like getting an E-MB for free :coffee1:

But 1 ... Get 1 ... :cheesy:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Have you personally verified this?

I heard it was actually 310,685,596 miles.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Have you personally verified this?

I heard it was actually 310,685,596 miles.

It is a calculated value, with a certain degree of uncertainty of course, but your number is way off.

I used 8,000 km/year for EV average milage or 414 miles/month.

Bear with me for the mix of units, but there is a good reason for that.

Using the autolife registration numbers, each vehicle then gets full milage for the month of registrations. 

An EV registered in January 2022 have done (28 month + 16.5 days) x 414 miles.

A February 2022 registrations gets 27 montsh and so forth.

Vehicles registered in 2020 and 2021 starts from mid year, as I don't have monthly registrations data.

Vehicles registered prior to 2020 are not included, again because I don't have the data.

8 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

It is a calculated value, with a certain degree of uncertainty of course, but your number is way off.

Using the autolife registration numbers, each vehicle then gets full milage for the month of registrations. 

Vehicles registered in 2020 and 2021 starts from mid year, as I don't have monthly registrations data.

Vehicles registered prior to 2020 are not included, again because I don't have the data.

Are you sure my number is way off?

I wager it’s as accurate as yours.

24 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Show your numbers then.

I used 5,000 miles/year for EV average milage or 414 miles/month.

Using the autolife registration numbers, each vehicle then gets full milage for the month of registrations. 

A February 2022 registrations gets 27 montsh and so forth.

Vehicles registered prior to 2020 are not included, again because I don't have the data.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

I used 5,000 miles/year for EV average milage or 414 miles/month.

Using the autolife registration numbers, each vehicle then gets full milage for the month of registrations. 

A February 2022 registrations gets 27 montsh and so forth.

Vehicles registered prior to 2020 are not included, again because I don't have the data.

= 500,000,000 miles, as of today at noon.

48 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I think the 8K/yr is estimate is way low based on my personal driving as I already have 12,695 km on my Atto in a little under 7 months even with me driving my Forturner ICEV once or twice a month for about 50km to keep the 12V battery charged and fluids circulated.  I'm more on track to average around 22K/year in my Atto...I live in the Bangkok area.    When I was driving my Fortuner only I averaged around 20Km/yr, but with an EV I'll probably average a little more since it much cheaper fuel-wise to drive.

An according to below website a person driving a sedan in the Bangkok area average 15.6Km per year...and in the provinces a little over 14Km per year.  

image.png.c77192eef9204f42c01c7d9229c95161.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pib said:

I think the 8K/yr is estimate is way low based on my personal driving as I already have 12,695 km on my Atto in a little under 7 months even with me driving my Forturner ICEV once or twice a month for about 50km to keep the 12V battery charged and fluids circulated.  I'm more on track to average around 22K/year in my Atto...I live in the Bangkok area.    When I was driving my Fortuner only I averaged around 20Km/yr, but with an EV I'll probably average a little more since it much cheaper fuel-wise to drive.

An according to below website a person driving a sedan in the Bangkok area average 15.6Km per year...and in the provinces a little over 14Km per year.  

image.png.c77192eef9204f42c01c7d9229c95161.png

The calculation is of course hugely sensitive to estimated annual milage.

If we can get consensus on a different number, I will happily 😊 change it.

In more mature markets, statistical data shows that EVs drive 60-75% of the annual ICE milage.

Assuming your numbers are mostly for ICE vehicles, how about 500 miles/month or 6,000 miles/year for EVs in Thailand?

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The calculation is of course hugely sensitive to estimated annual milage.

If we can get consensus on a different number, I will happily 😊 change it.

In more mature markets, statistical data shows that EVs drive 60-75% of the annual ICE milage.

Assuming your numbers are mostly for ICE vehicles, how about 500 miles/month or 6,000 miles/year for EVs in Thailand?

The numbers in the chart is all types of vehicles...ICEV or EV....but I expect it mostly ICEV.   I expect the chart is far more accurate than your estimates which I consider way low.  Here in Thailand I expect people put equal or more Km on their vehicle once switching from ICEV to EV.

Posted (edited)

Here you go. Have at it ...

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Average-Travel-Distance-of-Vehicles-3_tbl2_238658930

As posted before I drive 20,000 km a year 10,000 out and about 10,000 local.   But only 5,000 knocking  around town, the other $5,000 are exploring farther,  50 - 100 kms away. 

Plus 2500 kms on E-MB, for total of ~7500 kms of non exploring local driving.   Doesn't include any type of mandatory commute, since retired.

Would think most Thais drive 10-15k kms a year.  Which does agree with the chart in the link.  Chart more on the high end.

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

And I give 3 eggs to my grandma, how many eggs do I have left?

With @JBChiangRai gone full Colonel Walter E. Kurtz and started a chicken farm with Freddy in 'Nam, I will use 6,000 miles/year for average EV mileage in Thailand 🇹🇭

At that rate, we just passed 600,000,000 miles. Congratulations 🎊

4 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

With @JBChiangRai gone full Colonel Walter E. Kurtz and started a chicken farm with Freddy in 'Nam, I will use 6,000 miles/year for average EV mileage in Thailand 🇹🇭

At that rate, we just passed 600,000,000 miles. Congratulations 🎊

And how many fires? Must have been loads.

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2024 at 8:04 PM, josephbloggs said:

And how many fires? Must have been loads.

We do have the denominator in the fire/billion miles, but that was the easy part.

Statistically we should have had 3 fires 🔥 by now, but I don't think Thailand has an agency tracking EV fires, so your guess is as good as mine.

34 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

We do have the denominator in the fire/billion miles, but that was the easy part.

Statistically we should have had 3 fires 🔥 by now, but I don't think Thailand has an agency tracking EV fires, so your guess is as good as mine.

Insurance companies most always have the best data, but they rarely let it out. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

EV Fires are sensitive, I am absolutely certain we have heard about any, they are exceptionally newsworthy.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

EV Fires are sensitive, I am absolutely certain we have heard about any, they are exceptionally newsworthy.

Are you saying that you have heard about all EV fires in Thailand?

If so please share.