Electric Vehicles in Thailand

21 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That is a fair and valid argument, but the auto manufacturers did what they were told through tax incentives and build hybrids. We had hybrids in large numbers here way earlier than Europe.

At first some half-hearted models with 1-2 kWh batteries and 10 kw motors, but soon some amazing technology with integrated ICE/ electric transmissions, with 100 kw motors.

Yes, maybe I am a bit Nokia sentimental towards the legacy auto makers, I think we are taking a wrong turn and in a decade or so, many will miss the old brands.

With the way batteries are developing, I’m sure we’re heading in the right direction.

I think it’s a shame some companies didn’t embrace change.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2024 at 6:43 PM, Gweiloman said:

You are showing your ignorance of the Aussie car market. Guess which category of vehicles top the sales charts? Hint: it’s not sedans or hatchbacks or SUVs.

Did G-man drive his ute into the sunset 🌇 of knowledge and discovered that 92% of Australians don't want an EV?

lively-kangaroos-group_1007506-9622.jpg

A new report suggests Australians are less likely than Japanese, Korean, German and Southeast Asian consumers to want an electric vehicle (EV) as their next car.

A report from Savvy, underpinned by a Deloitte survey of 26,000 consumers across 24 countries or regions including Japan, United States, Australia, India, Southeast Asia, Germany, China, and South Korea, concluded only eight per cent of Australians would consider an electric vehicle as their next car purchase.

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/australians-among-least-likely-to-want-an-electric-car-says-study

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Toyota

That's not a source, or perhaps it's what passes for a source by the Anti EV brigade.

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

A new report suggests Australians are less likely than Japanese, Korean, German and Southeast Asian consumers to want an electric vehicle (EV) as their next car.

A report from Savvy, underpinned by a Deloitte survey of 26,000 consumers across 24 countries or regions including Japan, United States, Australia, India, Southeast Asia, Germany, China, and South Korea, concluded only eight per cent of Australians would consider an electric vehicle as their next car purchase.

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/australians-among-least-likely-to-want-an-electric-car-says-study

Being least likely to buy an EV is not the same as "92% of Australians don't want an EV?"

I am least likely to buy a Rolls Royce Spectre, it doesn't mean I don't want one.

Come on guys, we've been through this, English is a precise language, let's not ASS U me.

Edited by JBChiangRai
Grimmar
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

That's not a source, or perhaps it's what passes for a source by the Anti EV brigade.

Being least likely to buy an EV is not the same as "92% of Australians don't want an EV?"

I am least likely to buy a Rolls Royce Spectre, it doesn't mean I don't want one.

Come on guys, we've been through this, English is precise language, let's not ASS U me.

The article also stated

According to the study, 53 per cent of Australians surveyed said the price premium EVs carry over combustion-powered vehicles was their top concern

52 per cent of those surveyed said charging times were their top concern, followed by a lack of public EV charging infrastructure at 51 per cent.

The study found over 50 per cent of Australians surveyed would purchase an internal combustion-powered vehicle as their next car, while 20 per cent would purchase a hybrid and 12 per cent would purchase a plug-in hybrid (PHEV).

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The article also stated

According to the study, 53 per cent of Australians surveyed said the price premium EVs carry over combustion-powered vehicles was their top concern

52 per cent of those surveyed said charging times were their top concern, followed by a lack of public EV charging infrastructure at 51 per cent.

The study found over 50 per cent of Australians surveyed would purchase an internal combustion-powered vehicle as their next car, while 20 per cent would purchase a hybrid and 12 per cent would purchase a plug-in hybrid (PHEV).

Yes, I read that, interesting the 53% top concern was EV price premium, some of those are likely to "want" an EV but won't pay a premium.  Hopefully Chinese EV's can change that.

Australia is a really big country, I'm not convinced EV's are right for those driving thousands of miles between cities, which is probably a small percentage of drivers anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Yes, I read that, interesting the 53% top concern was EV price premium, some of those are likely to "want" an EV but won't pay a premium.  Hopefully Chinese EV's can change that.

Australia is a really big country, I'm not convinced EV's are right for those driving thousands of miles between cities, which is probably a small percentage of drivers anyway.

Chinese EV's brand's apply a different markup and it varies by Country to Country for example

Byd Dolphin standard China B503,495 Thailand B559,900 Australia B900,000 UK B1,403,624

In Thailand Buying a his and hers dolphin's and you still have B283,824 change in your bank account compared to the UK price

UK Byd seals start from B2,1 million baht to B2,3 million baht

5 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

It makes a nice change.

For years, cars have been more expensive in Thailand than the UK.

Not just EV, as remember when I bought my POS Vios (2), and Mazda 2, and they were like 25% cheaper in the USA, Yaris & Mazda 3 at the time.   Made better in USA/Mexico; emissions & ride and at higher overhead; wages, taxes, energy cost, RE/more taxes.  Mind boggle how sold cheaper but more cost to make in USA/Mexico.

EV are silly priced in USA, as is solar if wanting.   Solar cost 3X what we paid, for same system in Philadelphia area.

CHINA ROCKS

• Sad 1

Seems many people hate them.

It is more of an Asia thing something to brag about?

To add, another report stated they depreciate 50% when driven off the lot.

What a joke good luck to those who own one.

WASHINGTON (TND) — Nearly half of Americans who currently own an electric vehicle will likely switch to a gas-powered car, according to a McKinsey & Company study published this month. Forty-six percent of electric vehicle owners told the consulting firm they would likely switch back to a more traditional car.3 days ago

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Yes. And I remember saying that if I owned an US made EV, I would definitely not purchase another one. American consumers are missing out on owning amazing, value for money Chinese made EVs. 

Maybe the US government is worried that its citizens might realise how far ahead China has leap frogged America in innovation and technology.

It's not just American technology.

I would say Germany is a generation ahead of America and China more ahead still, according to the report commissioned by UBS (I think it was) already discussed here.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Isn't that showing May EV percentage of 12.1% up on April's 10.8%?

I wouldn't call that falling.

It seems the Dino Juice brigade struggle with percentages.

The petroleum industry is firing on 100% of the Cylinders.

Funny how you were opposing month on month comparison back in February when registrations dropped from 20.5% to 7.4%.

The cherry 🍒 harvest is getting ever more desperate when port's are filling up with unsold EVs even as manufacturers are rolling out new discounts.

Soon you will have to add some hawk tuah.

Screenshot_20240624_164114_Facebook.jpg

• Haha 2