Electric Vehicles in Thailand

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

We design & build housing estates.  Can I sell you a house?  they come with EV charging points and you can get rid of your old jalopy.

That is very kind of you. I live mostly underground, from drilling 20,000 ft wells to just recently digging out my septic tank. This is what I found.

20240707_101329.jpg

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Coming soon to your local BYD dealer?

(Check out the U8 SUV, also in the video).

Little out of my price range with the U9 estimated to cost 216K Euro (approx 8.5M baht).  At that price we will not be seeing many on Thailand roads if it comes to Thailand.   It's definitely an awesome looking car with tons of horsepower.     BYD is definitely producing some powerful vehicles.  

• Like 1

Almost forgot the Ciaz Registrations. This is part of the debate, mostly between @vinny41 and @JBChiangRai, of the lag time between sales and registrations. 

The Ciaz promotion ran from March 1st to April 7th. There were zero "extra" registrations showing in the March numbers, but it looks like we are still seeing registrations in June for the promotion period, 3 month later.

As @vinny41 already pointed out EV vendors have an incentive to complete the registration process faster, to cash in on the 150k government subsidy.

Screenshot_20240313_100719_Chrome.thumb.jpg.819153007ed26c6f4ff722eb195d6617.jpg

Screenshot_20240710_122031_Chart Maker.jpg

• Thanks 2

Since most Thais finance their new vehicle buy and since such financing can many times drag-on for months and months depending on the finance company/bank (i.e., wanting more income proof, wanting a guarantor, waiting on the applicant to respond to finance company requests, etc) until the finance company approves the loan the dealership can not go to DLT to actually start the regristration which only takes a few weeks when all the correct docs are provided.    I've watched a couple of my in-laws go thru a new vehicle and home loan application over the past year and the financing company/bank wanted lots of income proof, a guarantor, etc., and it took a while (months and months) for these in-laws to provide what was requested but they got it done and loans approved. 

When I bought my Atto last Oct 2023 here in Bangkok (I paid cash) the regristration/issue of the blue book/issue of white license plates was done in approx 3 weeks.   AND that included approx a one week delay where the main DLT in Bangkok (Chatuchak area of Bangkok) just had to personally see, touch, smell my passport versus accepting all the certified copy provided by the dealership.  So, the dealership made an appointment at DLT for them to see my passport, the dealership picked me up, drove me to the DLT where the DLT saw, touched, smelled my passport & made their own copy that I signed.  They gave me back my passport in approx 15 minutes later....they were now happy....then in less than a week the regristration was completed....I had my vehicle blue/registration book and white license plates in hand.

I know DLT has often caught heat about being slow in completing regristrations....like sometimes taking months and months.  But I expect MANY times this is really caused by the whole story not being told and the financing process which can often get bogged down which is not DLT's fault or incompleted paperwork provided by the dealership, but DLT incorrectly gets blamed for the delay.  Now I'm sure DLT can probably sometimes get anal in processing some regristrations like rejecting or wanting more docs, but I believe the great, great majority of the time if all the paperwork is in order registrations can go pretty fast.  But maybe not fast enough for a dealerhip/manufacturer who may not get fully paid until the regristration is completed...like getting paid the EV subsidy from the govt which doesn't occur until regristration is completed.

Yea, the lag between a sale and regristration can be delayed for many reasons especially when financing is involved....but regristartion can also process quickly such as just a few weeks when the ducks are all lined up.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I came back to my BYD Seal yesterday to see 3 young Thai guys studying the back of my car. Turns out they were looking for the exhaust pipe, the pickup truck that they had arrived in had a particularly large after market one. I explained that it was electric.

“But it has an engine as well?” 

“er no, just electric”

”what happens when the electricity is empty”

”we fill it up at home from solar or on a trip many pump stations have electric chargers”

They didn’t look convinced.

I was surprised that they had never heard of a BEV.

Sad that these bright minds are missing out on the amazing EV technology. 

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

The Confusing Mess that is Hybrids.

I agreed with most what was said in this video below.

However, I successfully drove a PHEV as an EV the vast majority of the time and don't know what to make of the claims in the press that many PHEV owners never plug them in. There is a widely quoted study by International Council on Clean Transportation but it never claims that PHEV owners admitted they never plugged in. What it actually says is "The low real-world electric drive share we calculate indicates that many PHEVs are not plugged in daily" which is not the same thing

I was also surprised that Toyota's "self-charging" Hybrids didn't get a mention. 

maxresdefault(1).jpg.b6c0df6f07c29af359241570cf4102a6.jpg

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Unless you can sell the electricity, solar is not financially feasible in Thailand

In addition: self consumption will always provide better value than selling back to the grid unless Thailand changes it’s feed-in rates to allow arbitrage like in the UK

ImportExportRate2.thumb.jpeg.bf0862bf2ee605a59b954520563bb5f6.jpeg

Unfortunately this is unlikely as the current flat rate ฿2.2 feed-in scheme has been closed to new customers apparently due to lack of money!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Unless you can sell the electricity, solar is not financially feasible in Thailand. For the investment cost you could use grid power for approximately 15 years. 

If you have an EV Car and charging at home from Solar it will heavy reduce the ROI for a System.

• Agree 1

On 4/21/2022 at 2:33 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Are you interested in an EV as your next car if so which one and why?

No I'm not itersted ,Why shoulud in  I be, Save the planet  or your electrict bills My guess is thage latter

• Confused 7

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Can you provide a breakdown of your calculation or did you just guesstimate it?

My setup:

Main Components (at todays prices) 
20,000 Watts of PV @ ฿5/W = ฿100,000
36kWh Batteries @ ฿5k/kWh = ฿180,000
20kW of Inversion @ ฿5k/kW = ฿100,000
Total = ฿380,000

Savings: 
PEA saving (no meter) ฿4,000/month based on my bills from a few years ago (prices might have gone up)

Fuel saving for 2 drivers and 2 vehicles and 1 motorbike  ฿4,000/month (based on Previous usage using ICE from a few years ago) 

= ฿96,000/Year saving 
Payback = 4 Years 

Based on what I actually paid a few years ago my payback is closer to 6 years 

But that does not include the time value of money. At just 5% that adds another year to your payback, but you already knew that, yes? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

But that does not include the time value of money. At just 5% that adds another year to your payback, but you already knew that, yes? 

investing 380k which gives 96k return per year results in 25% interest.

but you already knew that, yes?

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

investing 380k which gives 96k return per year results in 25% interest.

but you already knew that, yes?

Actually, it doesn't. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1