Cleaning Keyboard.

NoshowJones

My Lenovo laptop is only three years old, and I am the only one who has ever used it. but the keyboard is really dirty and it is getting very hard to type, is there any way of cleaning it, or do I have to replace the keyboard which I think would be very expensive? Is it worthwhile asking at my local computer shop to have it cleaned?

You can try and leave it with a trusted shop for cleaning. It might work. However, that depends on how old it is and how much you have used it. I can be so bad that it´s just time to change.

It´s really not that expensive if you order online, and can replace it yourself. If you order and leave it to a shop for replacement, they will automatically charge you a 700 - 1 000 extra.

Keyboard not Lenovo brand, but working about 600 - 1 000 baht
Keyboard Lenovo (or copy Lenovo, what do I now ???? ) about 1 500 - 2 000 baht.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

You could try using an AF spray and lint free duster. These are alcohol based and safe to use on electrical components.  With the machine off, spray over the keyboard then rub down gently with cloth. When the spray has evaporated repeat. When you are satisfied leave the laptop off for a while until any spray that might have gone between the keys has evaporated. For my stubborn grime , use a cotton bud dipped with alcohol to polish the key.

I have done the above on my own keyboard ( not laptop ) and the result was good enough.

( However, don't blame me if laptop blows up. Worked for me that's all I'm saying )

AF Spray Duster 200ml Invertible Aerosol Airduster | at Mighty Ape NZ

Edited by Denim
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

A wipe down with what?

Mild soap & water, alcohol (not Single Malt though). Baby Wipes?

Most keyboards are fairly 'waterproof' to a degree.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

You could try using an AF spray and lint free duster. These are alcohol based and safe to use on electrical components.  With the machine off, spray over the keyboard then rub down gently with cloth. When the spray has evaporated repeat. When you are satisfied leave the laptop off for a while until any spray that might have gone between the keys has evaporated. For my stubborn grime , use a cotton bud dipped with alcohol to polish the key.

I have done the above on my own keyboard ( not laptop ) and the result was good enough.

( However, don't blame me if laptop blows up. Worked for me that's all I'm saying )

AF Spray Duster 200ml Invertible Aerosol Airduster | at Mighty Ape NZ

This looks like a compressed air can, but worth a blast on the keyboard.