Onward Air Ticket In Nong Khai ?

hi,

I must do my visa run in ten days to vientiane (will be the third hence last for VOA since my last tourist visa).I just want to know if anybody has any news about the "must see an onward plane ticket rule" beeing enforced at the border there ?

thanks.

Makrook, at the moment the onward ticket / cash security on your person requirement only seems to be enforced at checkpoints on the Cambodian border. On ThaiVisa's home page, there is a link to a brief write-up on this topic.

border requirements

In fairness to Thai immigration, they do seem to be at least alerting people to this requirement prior to departure. In the absence of any direct / recent reports to the contrary, to the best of my knowledge, from what I've read, you will not be asked presently at Thai / Lao border crossings. :o

P.S. What you're getting is actually called a visa-exempt-entry or paw-sahm-sip "ผ.30".

It's interesting to note the rule just says "onward ticket", people have used rail and bus methods also.

Good luck Dude,

Edited by cali4995

P.S. What you're getting is actually called a visa-exempt-entry or paw-sahm-sip "ผ.30".

It's interesting to note the rule just says "onward ticket", people have used rail and bus methods also.

Good luck Dude,

thanks,

so, should be ok, except for my full passport that will have me to ask lao officials to stick my visa on the first page.

with a lot of begging in lao, should be ok ? 'in sha'allah. :o

(who the hel_l ever invented this kind of rule than of all the pages availaible on a passport certain just couldn't be used ???)

and, yes, I know the real name of the visa examption, and that it's NOT a VISA on arrival. :D

so, should be ok, except for my full passport that will have me to ask lao officials to stick my visa on the first page.

with a lot of begging in lao, should be ok ? 'in sha'allah. :o

(who the hel_l ever invented this kind of rule than of all the pages availaible on a passport certain just couldn't be used ???)

and, yes, I know the real name of the visa examption, and that it's NOT a VISA on arrival. :D

If your passport is that full then please renew it is asap.

That first page is usually a "comments" page and not mean for visas.

Makrook, if you're running out of space you'd probably better look into that toute suite.

Passport pages are usually titled visas or amendments and endorsements.I'm not sure if

immigration officers are very flexible about putting big visa stamps just anywhere. :o

Here's a list of some consulates in Chiang-mai, it's either more pages or a new passport.

http://www.chiangmaiinfo.com/d/organisations/consulates

Edited by cali4995

If your passport is full you can't leave the country. If all that is left is the first page that means its full. I tried a few months back. Was forced to overstay while I waited the 3 weeks for a new passport from Canada and almost lost my work permit. If your country gives extra pages then you should be ok if you go apply for them right away at your embassy but Canada does not.

Damian

ok, the very first page is for other puposes but I got the page n2 still blank (except from a trace of a thai stamp that bleeded a little from the next page).

the fact is, I still have enough space left on the last one for exit and re-entry stamps from thailand, but I have to convince lao officials that they can use this n2 page, although last time at the border they told me they couldn't.

I just assumed they didn't bothered to actually check what was on it and thought this little bleeding of a stamp from the page in front was a remain from an old stamp and hence they coulnd't use it...

no time to get back to chiang mai (I'm in chayaphum area now), I'll have to sort that out at the lao border (and BTW, I've actually met a guy that managed to have his lao visa on the very first "endorsements" page of his totally-full-near-to-explode passport :o, though I assume this was good luck and skillful chatting and I woulnd't hope the ame for me)

Makrook, if you go to the Mae-sot checkpoint (Myanmar) then you just get two little exit/enter stamps like

Thailand. They don't have that full-page on arrival visa. It only costs 500 baht and you don't even need to

bring a photo. Give us an update wherever you go, we're hurting for recent intel reports. :o

n2? Doesnt sound like a stamp page..... I would assume the worst not the best heh, if they told you no before...well, all I gotta say is your very optimistic.

Damian

yes, I must admit I am.

mae sot from chayaphum ??? sounds a long way compared to the 250 kms between me and nong khai.

ok, the issue seems to turn around wich kind of pages are able to being used, holding a french passport, my first blank page (wich is an "odd" one, right side), seems not usable though not having any mention on it ok, but my n2 blank page (on the reverse of the previous, hence left) is blank, blank, blank (except for that little ink linking from the page in front), and I don't see why they couldn't use it ?

we'll see tomorrow anyway (if they refuse me the visa at the lao border I will be in for a hard time having left thailand already...), plus the wife and kid waiting without knowing what to do ... hem. but I'm still optimistic seeing lao officials a lot more helpful than their thai's couterparts... :o .

I'll make a report on this (as per intelligence, going on motorcycle I'll try to pass by ban dung in udon to see what happens there)(hum, forget it, really isn't the right way to get a visa run done...)

good luck to me and may the force help as well.

n2? Doesnt sound like a stamp page..... I would assume the worst not the best heh, if they told you no before...well, all I gotta say is your very optimistic.

Damian

yes, I must admit I am.

mae sot from chayaphum ??? sounds a long way compared to the 250 kms between me and nong khai.

ok, the issue seems to turn around wich kind of pages are able to being used, holding a french passport, my first blank page (wich is an "odd" one, right side), seems not usable though not having any mention on it ok, but my n2 blank page (on the reverse of the previous, hence left) is blank, blank, blank (except for that little ink linking from the page in front), and I don't see why they couldn't use it ?

we'll see tomorrow anyway (if they refuse me the visa at the lao border I will be in for a hard time having left thailand already...), plus the wife and kid waiting without knowing what to do ... hem. but I'm still optimistic seeing lao officials a lot more helpful than their thai's couterparts... :o .

I'll make a report on this (as per intelligence, going on motorcycle I'll try to pass by ban dung in udon to see what happens there)(hum, forget it, really isn't the right way to get a visa run done...)

good luck to me and may the force help as well.

i would suggest the thai/malaysian border at pedang basar (on the way to butterworth), only entry and exit stamps, no requirement to show onward ticket, but certainly that's a LOOOONG way. burma should be much easier for you.

three years ago i had a similar problem, passport full and was due to leave. i was recommended the thai/cambodian border in trat (koh kong). first thai immigration would not let me go as i did not have a full page left for the cambo visa, finally, however, they let me cross the border and ask at the cambo immigration whether they would give me a visa. cambo immigration officers looked at my passport, then said ok, but costs an extra 1000 baht. as i had no other choice i accepted their offer, went back into thailand to get my thai exit stamp (yes in that order) and then was curious to see what the cambodians would do with my passport...? well, have a guess. not strictly legal but the cambo immigration guys were obviously happy and i did not have to ovestay waiting for my new passport.

guess trat is too far for you but i don't think lao officials would offer you a similar solution.

good luck!

did it ! :o

NO problem at all, just indicated to the lao officials the problem before they find themselves, nice guy told me it's all ok (even saying "khap" in an effort to speak thai as my reflexes make me speak thai even at the lao border :D ).

back to thailand, the officer, very busy chatting with a friend on his mobile phone, used a looong time checking all the stamps (ok, arranged in a someway very weird order in my full passport) and finally stamped me my ผ30 on the last page in a way that there's still little room left for my next exit stamp (I knew a period at mae sai were they would delightely stamp it right in the middle of the page to annoy you at maximum), but no question ever about any air ticket or even if I had 10000 baths to show.

lastly, just read the thread from a guy that went on visa run to vientiane and paid the lao visa 35 USD.I don't really understand this : I once paid the same amount (about 6 monthes ago) but the next time they asked for 30USD only and since that, I always hand my passport in along with the picture and 30USD without being asked any further.

as we crossed the border at the same period, I wonder what exactly decides the price of the lao visa ???.

last, but not least, I can't remember the name (but if someone has it I'd be happy) but there's a parking for those who want to have their car/motorcycle guarded for the night something like 500m down on the road, SAME side as the border office, that has a small office proposing visa services as well. DON'T use them, even though they ask for only 30baths a night as they just search your vehicule for valuables and steal them when you're in laos, the one closer to the border and on the other side of the road, though more expensive, is apparently much more safe (never had a problem with them).

thanks for all your advices and godd luck wishing,

makrook.

I wonder what exactly decides the price of the lao visa ???.

Your nationality. Perhaps the one time they charged you USD 35 instead of the usual USD 30 they got it mixed up and charged you the fee applicable to another nationality.

--

Maestro