100,000 Thai Workers to be Sent Abroad This Year

webfact

24fb1be64e794381631ea4522c45f59d_small.jpg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - Amid relaxed travel restrictions, labor export firms and relevant agencies have attended a discussion hosted by the Ministry of Labor to ensure that Thai workers gain the most benefits from working abroad.

Labor Minister Suchart Chomklin said the COVID-19 situation had forced many nations to curb international travel, including delaying entry for foreign workers.

As the disease situation gradually improves, many countries have relaxed travel restrictions and are once again accepting migrant workers. Suchart said his ministry aims to send 100,000 Thai workers abroad this year. To ensure this target is met and Thai workers benefit from the move, representatives from 127 labor export firms recently convened with ministry officials to establish an understanding and discuss employee wages, benefits and protections.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The Department of Employment has previously worked to expand the market for Thai workers abroad. Additional labor cooperation agreements have also been enacted with several countries such as Saudi Arabia, with demand generally high for skilled construction and tourism workers.

For the Japanese market, the demand is particularly high for office housekeepers while Australia is seeking more farmhands and the UAE requires construction, services and spa workers.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-04-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

UAE requires construction, services and spa workers.

Construction workers to replace the workers from Nepal and other places who never quite made it to the opening of the World Cup in November.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, blazes said:

To be replaced by 100,000 Myanmar labourers...

Better they go to a country where they can earn more money instead of working in Thailand . Just like people  travel to Thailand to live as "wife visa" refugees and  immigrants go to "wife visa" refugees countries. The cycle continues. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Suchart said his ministry aims to send 100,000 Thai workers abroad this year. To ensure this target is met and Thai workers benefit from the move

Will assist 100,000 Thai workers to work abroad.

Send sounds iffy?

Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin is quite apparently not aware of the fact, that Thailand lacks human resources. Now, instead of sending Khon Thai overseas (and while you can take a Thai out of Thailand you cannot take Thailand out of a Thai) the labour department would rather ensure, together with the education ministry, that Thais would find adequate jobs in their own country. 

All of those workers leaving for nasty places like North Africa or the Middle East, where they are usually treated like second or third class people, would rather work and earn a living at home. 

But home is where nobody wants them to be educated as only uneducated legislative can be fooled!

Meanwhile many Thai employers are looking, with poor success, for employees and will - as previous habits prove - resort to illegal employment without protection, insurance and ....... income tax for the divine Thai government - Catch 22! 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin is quite apparently not aware of the fact, that Thailand lacks human resources. Now, instead of sending Khon Thai overseas (and while you can take a Thai out of Thailand you cannot take Thailand out of a Thai) the labour department would rather ensure, together with the education ministry, that Thais would find adequate jobs in their own country. 

All of those workers leaving for nasty places like North Africa or the Middle East, where they are usually treated like second or third class people, would rather work and earn a living at home. 

But home is where nobody wants them to be educated as only uneducated legislative can be fooled!

Meanwhile many Thai employers are looking, with poor success, for employees and will - as previous habits prove - resort to illegal employment without protection, insurance and ....... income tax for the divine Thai government - Catch 22! 

And no doubt if the migrant workers are caught they will be punished but the employers and the agents involved will somehow not be punished. 

• Sad 1

Have 3 members of my partners family already registered for fruit picking/packing in Australia. I fronted them the 150,000 baht for agency and air ticket costs etc, so hope it eventuates for them. Yes, chanutes to farmland are held by us in event of default, but I believe they are 100% genuine in their desire to earn some good money and be able to make a better life for themselves here.

• Like 1

a good idea.... it certainly saves the expense of actually educating the Kwai .....   the Philippines under Marcos was / is a shining example of keeping the buffalo in their place.  The Sinos have all the answers.

' UAE requires construction workers '

Could be  to fill the shoes of the  dead Filipinos, and others, who suffered under the treatment of cheap labour imports in that country during the build up to the Football World Cup ?

• Like 2

On 4/25/2022 at 6:54 AM, CartagenaWarlock said:

Better they go to a country where they can earn more money instead of working in Thailand . Just like people  travel to Thailand to live as "wife visa" refugees and  immigrants go to "wife visa" refugees countries. The cycle continues. 

"this is the way" ????

9 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

How much did it cost to change the ownership on the Chanutes.??..........

I don't think he means names changed.

I think he means he/he and his wife hold the existing chanut as a security with intend to give it back to the land owner when all there is no further indebtedness.  Common practice in Thailand and in many countries. 

On 4/26/2022 at 8:59 PM, attento said:

' UAE requires construction workers '

Could be  to fill the shoes of the  dead Filipinos, and others, who suffered under the treatment of cheap labour imports in that country during the build up to the Football World Cup ?

The World Cup is not being played in the UAE!

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I think he means he/he and his wife hold the existing chanut as a security

Could you tell me what security you have holding a piece  of paper that states this land belongs to Joe Brown--when your name is Fred Jones.

I mean no disrespect and I am sure he will get his money back from his wife's relations---but this is not how you get security on a loan.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I don't think he means names changed.

I think he means he/he and his wife hold the existing chanut as a security with intend to give it back to the land owner when all there is no further indebtedness.  Common practice in Thailand and in many countries. 

Chanote owner files police report stating document 'lost' Presents report to Land Office with identification. Land Office cancel 'lost' Chanote and issues valid replacement. ????

12 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

How much did it cost to change the ownership on the Chanutes.??..........

The ownership won't be changed unless they default. Yes, of course they could refuse to do that, but they won't.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The ownership won't be changed unless they default. Yes, of course they could refuse to do that, but they won't.

I hope they enjoy their time in Oz ---at least there they wont have any problems with the rate of pay.

My friends Daughter has just gone there from London to do the same.

Just wish they could cut down on these agency fee's .

4 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I hope they enjoy their time in Oz ---at least there they wont have any problems with the rate of pay.

My friends Daughter has just gone there from London to do the same.

Just wish they could cut down on these agency fee's .

I'm sure the agency is doing very well out of it but there's probably no choice.

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Chanote owner files police report stating document 'lost' Presents report to Land Office with identification. Land Office cancel 'lost' Chanote and issues valid replacement. ????

Sure. What you're saying is that 'holding' the chanute document as a security isn't all that secure. Agree,but the reality is that it's a common (insecure) practice.