Elon Musk to buy Twitter

Chomper Higgot

It'll be shocking to most people, but "Freedom of Speech" is not a "Right."

Oh, it appears in the Bill of Rights, all right; and it almost always gets called a "Right".......... but it isn't one! 

Freedom of THOUGHT is a "Right" - - - Freedom of SPEECH is not!

So............. why does it constantly get called a "Right?" Answer: To clarify its importance in our system. But that just makes it something that's been mislabeled. That doesn't make it a "Right!" 

And this is why something that is supposedly a "Right".......... often gets taken away for a variety of feel-good reasons........... with no actual recourse available. 

This is why the First Amendment says specifically that "Congress shall make no law".......... but leaves abridging that supposed "Right" open to virtually anyone and everyone else!

Freeedom of Thought is a Right. 

Freedom is Speech........... isn't!

We have simply been given PERMISSION to practice a limited version "Freedom of Speech" - - - for a while. But it doesn't belong to us, inherently.

And like all things we have based solely on permission having being granted........... it can always be taken away or altered!

. Sorry, you have no "Right" to Free Speech. The government has merely allowed you some limited opportunities along those lines! 

Now, feel free to disagree..........

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Weak example.  Media companies ban ads all the time.  I recall Fox News refusing to air the MyPillow guy's ads.  But hey, it's a right wing network, so it must be ok in your mind.  Just curious.....do you believe in 100% "free speech" 100% of the time?  

Yes, with the proviso that if one causes actual harm by doing so one can be prosecuted eg if school bullies cause someone to commit suicide or someone maliciously shouts fire in a crowded theatre and someone is injured.

Most of the time if one doesn't like something, one can choose to not read it, not click on it, or turn it off. Too many out there looking to be offended IMO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, with the proviso that if one causes actual harm by doing so one can be prosecuted eg if school bullies cause someone to commit suicide or someone maliciously shouts fire in a crowded theatre and someone is injured.

Most of the time if one doesn't like something, one can choose to not read it, not click on it, or turn it off. Too many out there looking to be offended IMO.

Yea right, let them spread their hate speech that leads directly to the harm of others and then prosecute them after the fact, then let them come back and do it again and again. Do you see where your floored logic shines through?

There is no such thing as free speech otherwise as evidenced before their would be kill lists and murder contracts on anyone you disagree with and it would be perfectly for this to be the norm, a contract killers paradise

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Good to see Musk buy Twitter.

Of course the hardcore liberals/leftists will be weeping onto their Lattes/Avocado toast that now BOTH sides are allowed to voice their opinion but that's free speech for you.

I'm curious, is your stereotype of what a liberal eats and cries about based on real world experience, or did you develop it in fact-free far-right echo chambers?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Yea right, let them spread their hate speech that leads directly to the harm of others and then prosecute them after the fact, then let them come back and do it again and again. Do you see where your floored logic shines through?

There is no such thing as free speech otherwise as evidenced before their would be kill lists and murder contracts on anyone you disagree with and it would be perfectly for this to be the norm, a contract killers paradise

Hmmm. 

The vast majority of so-called "hate speech" never leads to putting anyone in danger or causing actual harm. I'd guess 99% or more of it. 

So, what is your plan for distinguishing........ before the fact...... "hate speech" that will lead to harm......... from "hate speech" that is completely innocuous? 

Right now, the only way to ACTUALLY answer that is after the fact. That is the only way we can know with any reliability. 

Do you have some way to correctly judge the difference between "hate speech" that is actually inciteful........ from "hate speech" that is basically innocuous? Some future-seeing formula that I'm not aware of? 

Lastly, who exactly will be responsible for defining "hate speech?" Because I've seen lots of examples that were pretty clear.......... But I've also seen lots of examples that were clearly just one person's expression of their own hyper-sensitivity.

So it seems to me that how "hate speech" is defined is pretty important, along with WHO, exactly, makes that determination! 

Got a plan for all this? 

Cheers! 

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Hmmm. 

The vast majority of so-called "hate speech" never leads to putting anyone in danger or causing actual harm. I'd guess 99% or more of it. 

So, what is your plan for distinguishing........ before the fact...... "hate speech" that will lead to harm......... from "hate speech" that is completely innocuous? 

Right now, the only way to ACTUALLY answer that is after the fact. That is the only way we can know with any reliability. 

Do you have some way to correctly judge the difference between "hate speech" that is actually inciteful........ from "hate speech" that is basically innocuous? Some future-seeing formula that I'm not aware of? 

Lastly, who exactly will be responsible for defining "hate speech?" Because I've seen lots of examples that were pretty clear.......... But I've also seen lots of examples that were clearly just one person's expression of their own hyper-sensitivity.

So it seems to me that how "hate speech" is defined is pretty important, along with WHO, exactly, makes that determination! 

Got a plan for all this? 

Cheers! 

8chan, look it up and see how unmoderated free speech goes and leads to, cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

And it's about more than a tiny group of aggrieved right-wing neo-fascists being able spout hate, racism and lies from Banjo Hollow.

Its funny when it is a leftist opinion that is a violation of free speech.  However it it is a "conservative opinion" that suddenly is hate, racism, and lies.  
Typical liberals. different standards for me vs. thee. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Its funny when it is a leftist opinion that is a violation of free speech.  However it it is a "conservative opinion" that suddenly is hate, racism, and lies. 

Stop making stuff up, this is nothing but projection.

• Thanks 1

Right wingers are not actually for free speech at all. Instead they are for speech that they like and seek to criminalize speech by or about minorities that they demonize for political gain. Look no further than the fascistic anti LGBT, anti teaching real black history, pro book banning laws sweeping the US at this time 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Right wingers are not actually for free speech at all. Instead they are for speech that they like and seek to criminalize speech by or about minorities that they demonize for political gain.

No you are wrong.  

Right wingers are about "free speech" not propaganda and certainly not censorship.  

If you look it is liberal organizations such as FB who censor conservative commentary.  

I challenge you. 

NAME ONE SOCIAL MEDIA THAT HAS CENSORED A LIBERAL POST. NOT YOU OPINION GIVE ME FACTS.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

No you are wrong.  

Right wingers are about "free speech" not propaganda and certainly not censorship.  

If you look it is liberal organizations such as FB who censor conservative commentary.  

I challenge you. 

NAME ONE SOCIAL MEDIA THAT HAS CENSORED A LIBERAL POST. NOT YOU OPINION GIVE ME FACTS.

Bait ignored.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Good luck to Twitter.

Good luck to Musk.

I don't personally use Twitter.

I did watch the defeated ex president on it before he was banned in horror.

Not as a fan but because that was the main way that he communicated so I felt it was important to read it to know what he was up to.

Conservatives can fix this by replacing  fermenting hate with policy initiatives that are not based on hate.

49 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

No you are wrong.  

I challenge you. 

You’ve missed the bit about libraries being stripped of books by right wingers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Berkshire said:

55555.....be careful what you ask for.  Musk's number one priority is to eliminate bots and fake accounts.  Russian trolls dominate this space and they typically push right-wing propaganda.  Remember COVID?

[Nearly half of the Twitter accounts spreading messages on the social media platform about the coronavirus pandemic are likely bots, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University said Wednesday.]

[Where in the world most of the bot accounts are based is still being probed by researchers, though some reports have implicated Russian actors in the spread of misinformation in the U.S. amid the pandemic.]

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/20/859814085/researchers-nearly-half-of-accounts-tweeting-about-coronavirus-are-likely-bots

Zee Russian bots? Are they the same Russian bots that lead to the Brexit vote and Trump getting elected? Every time you hardcore lefties lose a vote or lose an attempt to stifle the voice of the opposition it's alway comes back to Zee Russian Bots. Been watching too many Bond movies I think. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

I'm curious, is your stereotype of what a liberal eats and cries about based on real world experience, or did you develop it in fact-free far-right echo chambers?

Don't be too confident that Elon Musk will make Twitter into the platform of your dreams.  I'm not sure Elon himself knows what he will do with it.

I'm not aware of any fact free far right echo chambers. Plenty of far left ones though. One less since Musk bought Twitter.

Given that Twitter allowed The Taliban to have an account but banned the POTUS tells me the platform could not get any worse than it was under previous ownership. It would take a particularly extreme member of the liberal mob to support such a stance.

Personally I am not a fan of the platform anyway (or Trump) but I detest politically biased censorship pretending to be neutral. 

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/08/17/why-has-twitter-banned-trump-but-not-the-taliban/

• Haha 1

I am a left centrist though right wingers would typically brand me a communist as I support such things as LGBT civil rights, teaching real history even though unpleasant, and universal health care.

Not melting down in the slightest

because Musk bought Twitter.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Slip said:

Oh, stop clutching your pearls in faux outrage.  The whole free speech thing is deliberately misrepresented by the right as it is.  Anyone from the left who indulges in hate, racism, or lies is generally no more welcome on the left than those on the right who do it.

Not true. 

The long term acceptance/denial of Anti-Semitism by some of the most hard left members of the UK Labour party is testament to that.

Even The Guardian are open about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/25/labour-must-use-this-conference-to-go-further-in-rooting-out-antisemitism

The left are also incredibly Hypocritical. Yapping on, virtue signalling about "be kind" while calling political opponents Scum.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/26/angela-rayner-stands-by-remarks-calling-tories-scum

Finally, Twitter users will be able to speak out against such racism and hypocricy rampant in the left wing without being banned/warned with no explanation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1