The cancellation of Thailand Pass registration is expected to take place on June 1

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

TAT does no really have any control over the Thailand Pass.

Agreed, but the Ministry of Tourism and Sports does make recommendations to the CCSA.

Eliminating thiaPass and the insurance requirement will happen, and probably a lot sooner than later. Maybe July 1, if not earlier.

Yes, this is my "speculation".

• Like 2

Post in breach of Forum Rules removed.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

I highly doubt whether those whizzo IT geeks who have been modifying the Thailand Pass website in preparation for its relaunch tomorrow following the scrapping of Test & Go are likely to take too kindly to their strenuous efforts being undone after barely a month!???? 

Finally - it will happen because after all of the hot air about resetting the Thai economy so that tourism is no longer this behemoth within the Thai economy, the insanity of these uneven restrictions has elucidated on the clear truth. The travel sector is extraordinarily important to Thailand as well as the many other auxiliary industries connected to it. Not just the industry, that can be evaluated by collated data, but all of the informal streams of income into Thailand through other transactions. I think many of us that post here have been generous one way or another whilst living in or visiting Asia.

If any country does want to diversify an economy it begins with the diverse and innovative education of the young and that takes time and political will. Maybe younger Thais, Indonesians and others will look at different skills now that tourism has shown itself fragile when governments act irrationally. Lets hope lessons have been learned and that sustainable tourism replaces the greedy exploitation of fragile islands and beaches.

Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore seem to be resolute in a similar approach and hopefully Indonesia and for me, Bali, follow. The time to do this was in the past but better late than never and no turning back. Manage new crises (as they will arise) without resort to panic and the creation of worse crises.