Is tap water in Jomtien hard or soft?

Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

, I think if the water is coming through a chalk bed it will be soft, I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm wrong ????????

No so. Wrong way round @Golden Triangle. Ask anyone who's lived in Kent or Sussex both of which have a chalk substrata. (Think White Cliffs of Dover) The water there is definitely hard. (I lived in Sussex) It's very healthy to drink as it contains plenty of calcium for your bones, but it plays havoc with the plumbing and household appliances.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

No so. Wrong way round @Golden Triangle. Ask anyone who's lived in Kent or Sussex both of which have a chalk substrata. (Think White Cliffs of Dover) The water there is definitely hard. (I lived in Sussex) It's very healthy to drink as it contains plenty of calcium for your bones, but it plays havoc with the plumbing and household appliances.

Thanks for input mate, I wasn't sure TBH, but I knew some people would be on the money ????, I lived in Essex for 20 + years before moving here, so lost the plot a bit 555

• Like 1

"Fill the bottle one-third full, add a few drops of pure liquid soap and shake vigorously for a few seconds. If there is a distinct lack of fluffy bubbles and the water appears cloudy and/or milky, your water is hard."

https://homewater101.com/articles/easy-ways-to-test-water#:~:text=Fill the bottle one-third,milky%2C your water is hard.

• Thanks 1

Soap bubbles are a good enough quick-test for most purposes, probably more appropriate than checking the pH. 

My city tap water at Jomtien Beach has a consistent pH of 7.0 and that's as neutral as neutral gets. Checking the Total Dissolved Solids (<deleted>) I get 131 ppm, which happens to be exactly the same excellent value as San Francisco.

But neither of those tests will tell you the actual contents of the water. Calcium, for example, won't hurt you but will ruin your plumbing and appliances over time. Sodium, on the other hand, which rises after resin filtering, is definitely bad for your health.

I use Jomtien water for everything except drinking, and that's only because I don't like the slight taste of chlorine. So for that I have a 3-stage filter. That water tastes better than any bottled water I've ever encountered and I don't have to buy pallets of 1.5 liter plastic bottles.

On the other hand, I've got a well that is used only for watering an acre of plants. I tried running that water through a couple of those five foot tall cylinders of charcoal and resin but the result was too salty even after a second round of filtering through the 3-stage drinking filter. So, that water is bad for the pipes and bad for the heart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Stick a water softener (resin filter) in the line to the cleaner, just to be sure ???? 

Definitely a good idea.

I ruined my power washer by not using the little attachment.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So I can risk using my bottled water in the machine or buy distilled water which is a PITA

Why is it a PITA?  It is cheap an available all over the place, gas stations, mc repair shops, many supermarkets.  Go out for 10 minutes and pass at least 7 sellers.

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not where I'm at.

No doubt that you are at a unique place in fact you may be the only one there.

Distilled water is a very common product used to top up batteries in vehicles.  Sold most places that sell or do stuff for vehicles.  Cost 10-20 baht a bottle.  But you continue to enjoy living in your fantasy world where it is difficult to find and/or very expensive.