8 –year-old Ukrainian-Thai boy bitten by an unknown sea animal near Kamala Beach in Phuket, experts and officials dispute what the animal was

webfact

2-696x451.jpg

By Goong Nang(GN)

Phuket – A French shark expert believes that a blue shark might have bitten an 8-year-old Ukrainian-Thai boy’s leg near Kamala Beach, Phuket yesterday (May 1st). Meanwhile, beach operators and local officials believe that it was not a shark but a barracuda.

Kamala rescue workers were notified that a young boy, whose name was withheld per editorial policy for minors, had been injured by an unknown marine animal yesterday afternoon.  Rescue workers arrived at the Kamala Beach to find the 8 year-old Ukrainian-Thai boy lying bleeding and in pain on the beach. Many deep-cut wounds were found on his right leg. He was rushed to the Bangkok Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Mr. David Martin, a French national who is an underwater photographer and a shark expert from the ‘Ocean For All Foundation’ in Phuket, gave his opinion to The Phuket Express this morning (May 2nd), “From my experiences of diving and taking photos of underwater life around the world for many years, the wounds on the boy’s leg might be from a baby ‘Blue Shark’.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/05/02/8-year-old-american-thai-boy-bitten-by-an-unknown-sea-animal-near-kamala-beach-in-phuket-experts-and-officials-dispute-what-the-animal-was/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-05-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. David Martin, a French national who is an underwater photographer and a shark expert from the ‘Ocean For All Foundation’ in Phuket, gave his opinion to The Phuket Express this morning (May 2nd), “From my experiences of diving and taking photos of underwater life around the world for many years, the wounds on the boy’s leg might be from a baby ‘Blue Shark’.

Seems qualified to make an educated judgement. 

BUT.. the word ‘shark’ is going to put the frighteners up the officials who have of course completely denied any possibility of this being a shark bite and instead said ‘barracuda’... 

These events happen but are very rare, but we need to know facts to the can factually track recurrence and identify IF there is an issue which needs to be dealt with or if tourists need to be warned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

Big Trigger Fish with a nest far more likely than a baby shark

I doubt there is any trigger fish left on that beach except on the more rocky sides of it maybe. And if he was not diving, I doubt a trigger fish came in on shallow water and up to the surface to attack. 

Meanwhile, beach operators and local officials believe that it was not a shark but a barracuda.

And the 'Expert' says 'the wounds on the boy’s leg might be from a baby ‘Blue Shark’.

Just say it was a big animal in the sea, does it really matter? The boy is OK and can be on his way back home very soon.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Meanwhile, beach operators and local officials believe that it was not a shark but a barracuda.

And the 'Expert' says 'the wounds on the boy’s leg might be from a baby ‘Blue Shark’.

Just say it was a big animal in the sea, does it really matter? The boy is OK and can be on his way back home very soon.

Sharks and barracudas hunting on shallow water where thay can mistake a leg or arm for pray when the visibility is low after rain or sand gets wirwelved up due to the currents 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Sharks and barracudas hunting on shallow water where thay can mistake a leg or arm for pray when the visibility is low after rain or sand gets wirwelved up due to the currents 

So what was it, a shark or a barracuda?

'Wirwelved' is an interesting word.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So what was it, a shark or a barracuda?

'Wirwelved' is an interesting word.

Who knows what it was, I just state facts based on my previous knownledge based on stories and news. Been snorkeling, diving and freediving for 30 years. Sand due to currents on the beach make bad visibility, Im quite sure you understood that, even it was not a correct word. 

Have a nice day sir ????????

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Who knows what it was, I just state facts based on my previous knownledge based on stories and news. Been snorkeling, diving and freediving for 30 years. Sand due to currents on the beach make bad visibility, Im quite sure you understood that, even it was not a correct word. 

Have a nice day sir ????????

Would sharks & barracudas not have different 'bite patterns' ? 

Would you link me to the previous stories & news so that I could hazard a guess at what it was which bit the poor boy, although my non-participation in the underwater sport may influence my decision.

As for using an incorrect word for something, I am sorry but I am of inferior intelligence to guess what one could possibly mean. For all I know, wirwelved could be something a bargirl does to you.   LOL

Thank the gods we don't have large tigers or great whites here otherwise the entire boy might have been a very small tit-bit hors d'oeuvres.

The sea-life has certainly increased markedly and has come much closer to the beaches of the main island for sure of late. I have seen small reef sharks at haad Nai Thon on my weekly beach lapping in this last couple of years that I have never seen prior to the pandemic. Turtles, rays of different sorts, and decently large pelagic fish, and quite large schools of other fishes too.

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Would sharks & barracudas not have different 'bite patterns' ? 

Would you link me to the previous stories & news so that I could hazard a guess at what it was which bit the poor boy, although my non-participation in the underwater sport may influence my decision.

As for using an incorrect word for something, I am sorry but I am of inferior intelligence to guess what one could possibly mean. For all I know, wirwelved could be something a bargirl does to you.   LOL

I can not say or know what did bite the boy. Just stated sharks and barracuda incidents have happened before. 

American expert on the incident claim it can have been a shark to. 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/american-shark-expert-differs-on-phuket-barracuda-blame-84014.php

Barracuda bites

https://danboater.org/travel-health-and-safety/barracuda-bites-swimmer.html

https://www.undercurrent.org/blog/2011/01/04/barracuda-attack/

Seems like they concluded with a barracuda ib 2017 to

https://thethaiger.com/news/it-was-a-barracuda-phuket-provincial-fisheries-investigate-the-mystery-bite-of-japanese-man

29 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Thank the gods we don't have large tigers or great whites here otherwise the entire boy might have been a very small tit-bit hors d'oeuvres.

The sea-life has certainly increased markedly and has come much closer to the beaches of the main island for sure of late. I have seen small reef sharks at haad Nai Thon on my weekly beach lapping in this last couple of years that I have never seen prior to the pandemic. Turtles, rays of different sorts, and decently large pelagic fish, and quite large schools of other fishes too.

Not even close to what it used to be unfortunate. 20 years ago you where sure to see many different reef sharks, turtles sea horses and more when just headed out from any beaches with reefs. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

From memory a few years ago a man got bit by a shark and was told there are no sharks here only rocks ????

if referring to hua hin area, yes, obvious shark bite to anyone that saw photo of.  sharp stone story was embarrassing.

photo of, seems to be missing in this story, and would probably easily distinguish between shark or barracuda, depending where taste tested.  

if a local, i'd go with the shark story, as barracudas would be more territorial, and apt to hang around.  if thinking practical, shark story would actually attract tourist as it did in hua hin.

Hard to say what kind of animal bite that might be unless they prod the depth of the mark and the width at the entrance point.  Of course if a tooth had been left it would be easier. 

10 years ago when I was swimming in the water at Naiharn I felt a nasty stinging sensation on my lower leg.  When I got out of the water I had a 1" bleeding gash across my calf.  Wrapped it up and headed to the local hospital where I was stitched up.  The doctor asked me how I had cut myself.  When I explained what happened he believed it might have been a floating piece of metal, and so I ended up getting a tetanus shot as well.

With the stuff that floats in the waters around here who knows what caused the boys injuries.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Are there blue sharks in Thai waters? Never heard of it. 

38 minutes ago, Hummin said:

American expert on the incident claim it can have been a shark to. 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/american-shark-expert-differs-on-phuket-barracuda-blame-84014.php

guessing he is a self proclaimed shark expert.  did he seriously state the bull sharks aren't vicious sharks or known to attack humans.

rated as 3rd most dangerous, by most experts, just behind whites & tigers:

Top 3 Sharks That Attack Humans (thoughtco.com)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jotnar said:

guessing he is a self proclaimed shark expert.  did he seriously state the bull sharks aren't vicious sharks or known to attack humans.

rated as 3rd most dangerous, by most experts, just behind whites & tigers:

Top 3 Sharks That Attack Humans (thoughtco.com)

Some will speculate, and frankly most is just speculations, since there is almost impossible to know what a bite like this can be, if no proof or no eyewitnesses due to size, age and how the bite was performed, and how the boys reaction when he was bitten.

If a tooth followed up, it would had been easy.

I doubt any marine shark expert or Dr could decide in most cases separate a few possible species as small sharks and a bigger barracuda bites from each other, especially if shark experts only look at pictures.

However speculations alsoIf only a single incidents separated by years, it happens. If it comes more incidents the next week's, it would be frightening and the beach will be closed.

It was devasting for the restaurant next to the beach in Hua Hin when they closed that one for months after the shark attack there. 

Edited by Hummin

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Hop-Fully? :thumbsup:

Sharks, barracudas, box jellies and copious sea lice are all to be found at Thai beach resorts and attacks are always covered up or distorted to keep the tourist dollars flowing in. 

I was stung on the leg by some kind of jelly fish I didn't see at Hua HIn in the rainy season. It felt an electric shock and I nearly collapsed in the water at the time.  A doctor at a local clinic gave me some cream to rub on it and said it would be gone in 24 hours. But for three months I had a painful pussy wound on my leg that doctors couldn't explain. One even gave me expensive anti-virals, claiming it had triggered a recurrence of shingles but the antivirals did nothing. Then it suddenly disappeared but left permanent scars. I heard of a friend's young daughter who got the same thing across her stomach, so that she was too embarassed by the scars to wear a bikini when she was older.  I also heard of a Thai girl who got it in the face.  So I consider myself lucky to get it in a place that doesn't show.  

These days I hardly ever swim in Thai waters.  Hotel swimming pools now seem a much better option.

20 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Sharks, barracudas, box jellies and copious sea lice are all to be found at Thai beach resorts and attacks are always covered up or distorted to keep the tourist dollars flowing in. 

I was stung on the leg by some kind of jelly fish I didn't see at Hua HIn in the rainy season. It felt an electric shock and I nearly collapsed in the water at the time.  A doctor at a local clinic gave me some cream to rub on it and said it would be gone in 24 hours. But for three months I had a painful pussy wound on my leg that doctors couldn't explain. One even gave me expensive anti-virals, claiming it had triggered a recurrence of shingles but the antivirals did nothing. Then it suddenly disappeared but left permanent scars. I heard of a friend's young daughter who got the same thing across her stomach, so that she was too embarassed by the scars to wear a bikini when she was older.  I also heard of a Thai girl who got it in the face.  So I consider myself lucky to get it in a place that doesn't show.  

These days I hardly ever swim in Thai waters.  Hotel swimming pools now seem a much better option.

Treatment for box jellyfish. I was also stunged by a jelly fish at hua hin, and lucky me, it was vinegar available at that time. 

Not every jelly fish vinegar help for, but at least it does help when stung by box type

23 hours ago, Hummin said:

I doubt there is any trigger fish left on that beach except on the more rocky sides of it maybe. And if he was not diving, I doubt a trigger fish came in on shallow water and up to the surface to attack. 

2 years of pandemic and fish will have returned to the area, Titan Triggers nest on open sand in shallow water and they are very aggressive to anything that comes nearby

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:
23 hours ago, Hummin said:

2 years of pandemic and fish will have returned to the area, Titan Triggers nest on open sand in shallow water and they are very aggressive to anything that comes nearby

Unless we know for sure it could be anything, the French guy thinks it could be a Blue shark, ourmanflint believes it could be a Trigger Fish..... Both arguments are reasonable, both can present further reasons why they are correct and the other is unlikely... 

I guess ourmanflint would be able to make a more firm judgement if he saw photo’s of the actual bite.

I imagine a small shark would leave a very clean series of smaller puncture marks from razor sharp teeth whereas a trigger fish would leave a rougher, less clean cut (more like a small dog bite). 

The big picture here is that there are things in the water that can and do bite and as others have written, Jelly Fish are also a problem - Should that stop us from enjoying the sea?  I don’t think so, but we should be cautious of our surroundings...

Whenever at coastal areas I’m always far more bothered by soi (beach) dogs who can become aggressive scavenging for scraps from restaurants.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Can very much be, but when local and so-called experts can not agree, I will not void my amateur voice to much and speculate. 

I have been charged by a shark once 17 years ago, and believed it was a either black tip or white tip, but it happened so fast that  i was not able to identify it. 

A up stream dive where i came around a pinacle, and faced this shark where we both was taken by surprise, and charged me. Never seen so big shark before so close up to my face, and only a meter or so broke off and swimmed away. I froze in the moment, one thenth of a second felt like seconds and My heart stopped for a beat, but what rush. A real adrenaline kick! 

I knew from before they could charge, and not physically attack, but  I was taken for a ride there. 

Most animals charge when they feel threatened without physical attacking, be it snakes, bears, dogs, and only when you start doing stupid things they might for real attack. Keep calm and they will in most cases leave you alone. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Unless we know for sure it could be anything, the French guy thinks it could be a Blue shark, ourmanflint believes it could be a Trigger Fish..... Both arguments are reasonable, both can present further reasons why they are correct and the other is unlikely... 

I guess ourmanflint would be able to make a more firm judgement if he saw photo’s of the actual bite.

I imagine a small shark would leave a very clean series of smaller puncture marks from razor sharp teeth whereas a trigger fish would leave a rougher, less clean cut (more like a small dog bite). 

The big picture here is that there are things in the water that can and do bite and as others have written, Jelly Fish are also a problem - Should that stop us from enjoying the sea?  I don’t think so, but we should be cautious of our surroundings...

Whenever at coastal areas I’m always far more bothered by soi (beach) dogs who can become aggressive scavenging for scraps from restaurants.

Of course I am guessing and I do not have as much experience diving as some others, but there are not many things in the sea which are openly very aggressive, so this is my best guess. It was reported elsewhere that "The boy’s wound needed 30+ stitches, after the attack left a long, deep cut in his right calf" which doesn't sound like a baby shark

Edited by ourmanflint
  • Like 1