Are Expat salaries likely to rise in Thailand?

webfact

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Average Bangkokians live comfortably with 30,000THB per month,

Highly debatable.

But doubt that is comfortable.

As for expats,

A decent 1 br apartment in downtown cost about 15-30k a month alone...

School fees?

Even a bilingual/English program will set one back about 8-10k a month, with international schools the limit the sky.

Add transportation, maybe indulge a bottle acceptable wine...

30k, not even for Thais it is comfortable. Get by, ok. If childless and hole up in somewhere very simple.

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just one of the sentences which disqualifies this writer.

I thought this was supposed to be an expert website for expats in Thailand.

Most have been hoodwinked in regards to this forum and others like it. 

Taking with a grain of salt should come natural for those more astute observers. 

Quite obviously, that's not the case.

44 minutes ago, tingtong said:

Highly debatable.

As for expats,

School fees?

Even a bilingual/English program will set one back about 8-10k a month, with international schools the limit the sky.

30k, not even for Thais it is comfortable. Get by, ok. If childless and hole up in somewhere very simple.

30k a week is comfortable for me. I hope to double or triple that when the markets pick up. 

10 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Count me in on one of those Switzerland jobs that'll pay US$246,971 to teach English to the Swiss!

Me too! When I was unemployed in Switzerland I asked to be retrained as a TEFL but the anal admins here  told me "we are not allowed to change your profession".

BUT the salary is more like $60k a year which is just about livable in Switzerland.

1 hour ago, tingtong said:

Highly debatable.

As for expats,

School fees?

Seriously a 1 bed apartment and you talk school fee's....

Give your head a wobble, not every expat has children and those that do would not be choosing a 1 bed apartment to call home.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Seriously a 1 bed apartment and you talk school fee's....

Give your head a wobble, not every expat has children and those that do would not be choosing a 1 bed apartment to call home.

Was some sample price, even with one or another can't fit to 30k and "comfortable" in same sentence...

Never said anything about everyone have a child, or need to live in 1 br.

( But if you so inclined to get specific, I have a child, live in a 2 br, and definitely cost a lot more than 30k a month to feel comfortable)

3 hours ago, tingtong said:

Highly debatable.

As for expats,

School fees?

And Thais have the added advantage of having easy access to credit. Buying a car, - on credit. Another kid on the way and need a bigger place - rack up more debt. Getting a bank loan because some Grab delivery guy has written of the PCX you scriped and saved for a year to buy so you could get to work is nigh on impossible for a foreigner. So, yes, maybe the average Thai CAN live comfortably on 30k a month, taking into consideration that anything up to 50% of that is going towards paying off debts. For foreigners, without access to credit, it requires a lot of saving and that's not easy on 30k in Bangkok, especially if you're in the upper age limit group (60+) where, even working, you can't get Soc. Sec. so have to pay for health insurance. Mine already takes up 25% of my wage, another 25% on rent, 15% on utilities. That leaves me about 10k for everything else. It's doable, if I don't go out, eat from roadside vendors and don't take holidays. Saving is out of the question though. And then I go to work and see my Thai colleagues who earn the same, or less than I do, driving up in Fortuners, MGs, and posting online pics of their trips to Phuket and Pattaya. 

On 5/4/2022 at 9:15 AM, Freddy42OZ said:

Thailand has a salary range for Expats of 24,500 THB (US$734) to 433,000 THB (US$12984) in a month. Its average monthly salary is 96,900 THB (US$2,904). 

96,900 THB is the average for Expats.   Which seems low to me. 

The figures are meaaningless without a lot more claricication of their definitions and methodology.  What is their definition of an expat ?  Am I one now that I have retired and earn no income ?  Here in Koh Samui does it include the horde of digital nomads who are often paid offshore ? What about the others working cash in hand doing yoga, hairdressing, building work, diving  etc many of whom do not declare their income ?  They probably also exclude some nationalities from their definition of Expat but where do they draw the line ? 

• Like 1