New telephone

I need to buy a new smartphone.  My bank app to be able to deposit cheques says the version of IO on my telephone needs updating and the hardware will not allow it.

What is the benefit of 5G and in particular might 5G provide coverage where 4G does not?  I assume all 5G 'phones will receive 4G and lower.   I do not play games or watch films or sports on the telephone.

If capabilities and price are relevant, I was thinking of Samsung A22, A22G, or A23.  I do not want a phone with direct link to the CCP.

I have a 5G phone in central Bangkok and to be honest I don't see the 5G symbol on my phone too often. In most places it is still 4G service.

That being said, this will change over time as the antenna sites are upgraded.

Here is a screenshot of a random speed test I just did. Normal download speeds are up to 200Mb/s, which as far as I am concerned is plenty quick enough for anything I will ever need.

All 5G phones will receive 4G and lower, however be sure your mobile plan includes 5G.

Screenshot_20220504-155149_Brave.jpg.2c009f23120a5b3d0cd4be2dbf978e4f.jpg

Screenshot_20220504-160030_Chrome.jpg.86cff98d9690968f27a5edcc96193f50.jpg

What phone do you have now?

What is your budget?

Which bank app?

Which service provider do you use now?

2 hours ago, thaibook said:

My bank app to be able to deposit cheques says the version of IO on my telephone needs updating and the hardware will not allow it.

This needs clarification. What does this app require which your current phone does not provide, but which a new phone must provide?

2 hours ago, thaibook said:

I do not play games or watch films or sports on the telephone.

More helpful to hear what you do use your phone for?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, thaibook said:

I need to buy a new smartphone.  My bank app to be able to deposit cheques says the version of IO on my telephone needs updating and the hardware will not allow it.

What is the benefit of 5G and in particular might 5G provide coverage where 4G does not?  I assume all 5G 'phones will receive 4G and lower.   I do not play games or watch films or sports on the telephone.

If capabilities and price are relevant, I was thinking of Samsung A22, A22G, or A23.  I do not want a phone with direct link to the CCP.

Any current phone will do. Get one with the most recent version of Android OS you will probably get about 3 ~ 4 years due to Android OS not being updated by more than about 3 versions.

If you can bear to switch from Android you can get at least 7~9 years OS updates from iOS devices 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

I purchased a phone a few months ago in the USA and my Kasikorn app stopped working.

I arrived last week and went to Kasikorn Bank and they had to reset it.

They actually had to input a lot of information (Passport # included).

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

I have a 5G phone in central Bangkok and to be honest I don't see the 5G symbol on my phone too often. In most places it is still 4G service.

That being said, this will change over time as the antenna sites are upgraded.

Here is a screenshot of a random speed test I just did. Normal download speeds are up to 200Mb/s, which as far as I am concerned is plenty quick enough for anything I will ever need.

All 5G phones will receive 4G and lower, however be sure your mobile plan includes 5G.

Screenshot_20220504-155149_Brave.jpg.2c009f23120a5b3d0cd4be2dbf978e4f.jpg

Screenshot_20220504-160030_Chrome.jpg.86cff98d9690968f27a5edcc96193f50.jpg

I get the same in Bangkok, the signal quite often drops to 4G or 4G+ using 12Call. 5G chews through the juice so I'm in the habit of turning power saver on. Sammy S22+. great phone but sucky battery life.

also 5G is pointless if the server ain't feeding you the data all that quickly. Google Play Store I'm looking at you. their CDN must be in Ulan Bator because often it's better to connect to a VPN if you have a large number of updates.

You have an apple phone?..... its a rip off isn't it I brought one 5-6 years ago, was given a fit watch by my daughter last month--- tells me i have to update the phone ....buy a new one there only about 30K then down the track when you get a new gadget maybe your phone wont take that---so buy another one.

they could put software that would update the phone.....but I get much the same message as you.

8 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

You have an apple phone?..... its a rip off isn't it I brought one 5-6 years ago, was given a fit watch by my daughter last month--- tells me i have to update the phone ....buy a new one there only about 30K then down the track when you get a new gadget maybe your phone wont take that---so buy another one.

they could put software that would update the phone.....but I get much the same message as you.

You can trade your old iphone in at the same time and get credit to reduce the cost.

The battery life on the new iphones are worth the upgrade.

15 hours ago, thaibook said:

What is the benefit of 5G

For your application absolutely nothing.

And currently it's not easy to find a practical use of a mobile phone where 5G would make a noticeable difference.

15 hours ago, thaibook said:

and in particular might 5G provide coverage where 4G does not?

Exactly the opposite is true.

5G coverage is scattered/building up.

"Pure" 5G is even more rare. Existing 5G often just use the "over the air/radio part" of 5G and then use the existing 4G backbone.

4G is the current reality just after 3G has been shutdown.

It willl be the backbone for mobile communication for many years to come. 4G covers most of the populated areas of the country for the three major providers.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I was looking at the new style of phones and thought I might get one to be retro

This rotary dial cell phone really works, and you can ...

Rotary-Cellphone-by-Justine-Haupt-Featured-image-copy.jpg

ARGHHH! Dial phones remind me of the days way back when music was music and I'd call places such as the Royal Albert Hall in London to get concert tickets. You'd dial and the line was busy, so you'd dial again (no re-dial buttons in those days) and again and again and again as you gradually lost the will to live, and then maybe after dialling for 30 minutes or an hour you'd get through and get your tickets. Then you went and bought a plaster to put on your overworked finger.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I wonder what your (Apple) 30K phone does that my 6K phone doesn't do. Pretty much nothing, 

Apple Pay for one. 

Here’s another nine

Although Android manufacturers are trying to make Android Pay work, Apple Pay is the most popular method for making mobile payments. It is also very easy to use.
You can use Apple Pay by bringing your iPhone near the supported payment terminal at the checkout corner and then authenticate the payment with your phone’s Face ID or touch ID sensor. Apple Pay also supports reward cards and store issued credit card from a wide-range of companies. All of these are stored in the new Apple Wallet app.

Edited by Nemises

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I wonder what your 30K phone does that my 6K phone doesn't do. Pretty much nothing, I expect. Apple is not the world's most profitable company (or thereabouts) for nothing

Your 100% right Barry---& 95% of what I use it for is phone calls.

I didn't actually pay 30K, I went back for what was a very last "Goodbye" trip----in that part of the East end of London things seem to have a habit of falling off of the back of Trucks. Anyway brought one back for the-- wife the daughter & Me .

I have always been Android on computers etc, it just makes it so easy to get programs you need /updates /Apps...etc.

Phone was fine for a few years , until I wanted an "Air tag"--looked like a good idea for my wandering dog--"sure you want a $20 Air tag-buy a new phone". The fit watch I liked , helped me lose some weight. So when I was given an update, happy--until I was told "you want to wear that-have to buy a new one of our phones first". I think we all know with their Technology , they can download an update for their customers if they wanted to. I read that Apple no longer gives you a charger with the phone--& they make $6.5 Billion more doing this. Sure (in Thailand) you can get a knock of of that--but is it anyway to treat your customers.

With the domination that they are achieving--will they make the updates of their phones shorter then 5 years --maybe every 2 years.

I am sure the phone itself is great--- & I am sure High Thec people love it, & will point out lots of things it can do.

Just wish it could look after the customer better.

How much did Apple save by removing the charger?

Report claims Apple saved $6.5 billion by removing charger and EarPods from iPhone boxes - PhoneArena.Mar 13, 2565 BE...  https://www.phonearena.com

• Thanks 2

When I purchased a new iPhone 13 (upgrading from 10), I easily transferred all the date to my new phone and everything worked - except my Bangkok Bank app. I had to go to the branch and it took about 15 minutes for them to get the app to work on the new phone. 

I have a dozen different international financial apps on my phone. Everything moved seamlessly -  except for Bangkok Bank. 

• Like 1

I also have to upgrade for bank apps. More than anything i need one that has the storage to allow me to install multiple apps - right now even with a handful of apps I can't install another one as not enough space. Any suggestions for a cheapish phone with large storage? If I have to pay high end to get it so be it, but I'd rather pay for the feature I want rather than the feature I want and loads I don't. Note: Android. Samsung maybe ideal as I can directly transfer everything across with their software.

Edited by mokwit

12 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I read that Apple no longer gives you a charger with the phone

Correct, no more power adapter instead a lighting charging cable that plugs into any USB. So not sure where the problem is. 

13 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

will they make the updates of their phones shorter then 5 years --maybe every 2 years.

Yes “maybe”, but by the same token… “maybe not”. 

So once gain, not sure where the problem is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Correct, no more power adapter instead a lighting charging cable that plugs into any USB. So not sure where the problem is. 

I dont know why Nemisses-it just seems that if anybody points something about Apple for some they get overly defensive, its like..."circle the wagons"

I think Honda's are great cars value for the money etc.  The Honda company has faults--

So what you are saying is ..the company is doing us a favor-- nothing to do with making 6.5 Billion extra they are giving us a cable that fits anywhere. 

image.png.e3da58f752555a26cd8df2de59b0b3c1.png

So this is the cable----- wait a minute--didn't we get that anyway ?? & can't you buy that for 80 Baht at Tesco.

9 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Yes “maybe”, but by the same token… “maybe not”. 

So once gain, not sure where the problem is.

Maybe their phones will be obsolete for some additions after 2 years --But  (quote)- "once gain, not sure where the problem is."

Are you serious ..............:omfg:

28 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

With the domination that they are achieving--will they make the updates of their phones shorter then 5 years --maybe every 2 years.

Most of what you are saying sounds like sour grapes that the latest gadget “air tag” doesn’t have the same location functions with an older phone that doesn’t contain the hardware required to give the exact kind of location function that have only been available since September 2019 on the iPhone 11 on a device launched in 2021

No apple updates are not limited to 5 years (unlike Android where you are lucky to get 3 OS 

updates) the current supported phone was released in September 2015 and so far got 6 iOS updates 

Is there any Android phone released in 2015 that is currently supported? The Android phone I have that was released in 2017 is limited to an Android version that is 2 years out of date.

• Like 2

Apple product are good, simply way overpriced.  Not much better, if any, than the competition.  Why their 'systems' hold a low market share, whether computers or phones, vs windows or android.

For the OP, on topic, Android has 70% market share in Thailand, so you might want to go that direction.  Would think bank apps geared to Android, but TIT.

My Xiaomi (POCO) and BBL don't seem to like each other, to the point I loaded & deleted it a few times, and don't even bother with it.  Not an app fan, usere, anyway, not very helpful to you though.  Good luck.

Edited by Jotnar

7 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Maybe their phones will be obsolete for some additions after 2 years --

Are you serious ..............:omfg:

Maybe”. Always a maybe from you. Shock! horror! Let’s all worry about “maybes”

Scaremongering 101  ???? 

1 hour ago, DFPhuket said:

except my Bangkok Bank app. I had to go to the branch and it took about 15 minutes for them to get the app to work on the new phone. 

Same here, need to go see them. Do you have to go your “home” BKK Bank branch or can any branch do it, do you know?

7 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

Actually you can get a brand new iPhone SE for 15,900 if you are ok with not the lastest technology and the best cameras.

Yes its a copy of the iphone 6 which I have --you just pay an extra 16K to be able to get the upgraded software--what they could download for you. Other minor changes to camera etc.

But --We are not supposed to Discuss this anymore....

The new 2020 iPhone SE is identical to the design that Apple used for iPhones released in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017, so those upgrading to the SE from the iPhone 6, 6s, 7, or 8 can expect a device that's the exact same size, weight, shape, and design. 

https://www.macrumors.com › guide