Where has all the the 'light' beer gone?

1. Was there perhaps insufficient demand for the "light" beers?

2. Does or did "light" refer to the colour or to the alcohol concentration of the beer?

3. Can you just dilute a "regular" beer with water to make it a "light" beer?

9 hours ago, Jerno said:

Why do you need light beer when you pour regular in your glass and add ice cubes. Instant light beer!  What do you think light beer is other than watered down regular at the brewery. 

It not about dilution! Or Calories! It's a different  kind of beer with tastes and and characteristics different  to regular beers but I did not ask  for  advice. I asked about the the disappearance of top selling lines.

10 hours ago, Puccini said:

1. Was there perhaps insufficient demand for the "light" beers?

2. Does or did "light" refer to the colour or to the alcohol concentration of the beer?

3. Can you just dilute a "regular" beer with water to make it a "light" beer?

If you don't actually  know what a light beer is or know anything about the brands and companies selling these very popular products  then it's likely  you have  little to offer to this thread.

9 hours ago, gt162 said:

I miss the light beer vs regular beer. Light beer has same alcohol content but 1/2 the calories of regular beer, usually around 100 calories. 

Trying to cut the sugar and morbid illness it causes. Look at all those unhealthy overweight beer drinkers around.

I think you are referring to San Mig Light only. 

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Can anybody explain  why Tiger light and Singha light beer has disappeared 

Singha Light was replaced about 2-3 years ago with My Beer.

Tiger Light no idea.

59 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Can anybody explain  why Tiger light and Singha light beer has disappeared  from bars and shops? Is it a tax/ revenue/ license issue?

Singha Light is now MyBeer and is 4.5 abv not the 3.5 as previous.

There is also San Mig Zero, 0% sugar and carbs, 3%abv and I think 60 calories. Not too much of it about though. 

My best guess is there isn't a large enough market for light beers as it was mainly tourist that drank it. As well most light beer was sold in the bars that have been mostly closed the last couple years.

13 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, it´s not. Light beer is a beer that has been brewed in a way, that does not give it the same high percentage of alcohol. It´s not the same beer with half deciliter of water added in the bottle.

Actually it is.  Beer is made up of 4 ingredients:  Malt usually from barley grain, hops, yeast and water.  More water in the brewing recipe is what produces the lower alcohol level. This detail straight from major Brewer.  (Previously worked for international Malt company supplying brewers like Sapporo.)

• Sad 1

First & foremost they are not true beers but lagers.

San Mig "light" for example has nothing to do with alcohol content but supposedly 

less carbs & calories.

Some "light lagers have less calories.

For info all commercial lagers in Thailand are brewed "double alcohol" & then watered down & carbonated. Sorry to be the bearer of this news to some.

As to the question asked,  I have no idea but presume not enough farang tourists to make worthwhile

as very few locals would bother drinking.

In our village with 6 liquor outlets always "no have"

Only San Miguel light and zero left in the market. Plus Heineken zero.

I tried to mix beer with soda (small can or bottle beer plus one bottle soda). It works for me. 

2 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Because Thais are proper men, not like so many Westerners. 

Let me guess are you American? 

Some of us for medical reasons have to drink light beer (DIABETIC)

15 hours ago, gt162 said:

I miss the light beer vs regular beer. Light beer has same alcohol content but 1/2 the calories of regular beer, usually around 100 calories. 

Trying to cut the sugar and morbid illness it causes. Look at all those unhealthy overweight beer drinkers around.

Well drink white wine, don't forget that little pinkie sticking out ????

I confess ... my alcoholic and I mates drank it all haha ???? ... light beer what is the point ... really??!!

If its to play Russian roulette with blood alcohol levels in the pursuit of drinking to rationalise driving/riding then say what?! If its an attempt to swap drinks to control and deny ones possible over indulgence or outright alcoholic drinking behaviours then say what?! If its to try and convince oneself that its less fattening then say what! If its cause the liver is screaming because of most of the above then say what?! lol ????????

If its because one likes the taste of light beer ... then good luck in your search lol ???????????? 

15 hours ago, Jerno said:

Actually it is.  Beer is made up of 4 ingredients:  Malt usually from barley grain, hops, yeast and water.  More water in the brewing recipe is what produces the lower alcohol level. This detail straight from major Brewer.  (Previously worked for international Malt company supplying brewers like Sapporo.)

Not it´s not. I that case it is only you that have not learned how it really works.

Some exceptionally uninformed comments on here. San Miguel Light is A light and reduced-calorie lager with an exceptionally smooth and crispy taste. It is less filling and light on the stomach. It has a 5% alcohol content. 

Singha Light has been rebranded its now with a lower alcohol content 3.5% and is now called MyBeer

23 minutes ago, jimn said:

Some exceptionally uninformed comments on here. San Miguel Light is A light and reduced-calorie lager with an exceptionally smooth and crispy taste. It is less filling and light on the stomach. It has a 5% alcohol content. 

Singha Light has been rebranded its now with a lower alcohol content 3.5% and is now called MyBeer

I imagine they're thinking of San Miguel Zero which is 3%.

• Like 1