What would you do if had time over?

On 5/11/2022 at 12:46 AM, swissie said:

I would not mind going back as long as I could take my accumulated wisdom of 70 years back with me. Well understood: Back to 1952, and not as a starting point in 2022, as I think that my accumulated wisdom of 70 years would not do me any good in a future digitalised world. A world that has decided to be governed no more by "common-sense" but by some algorisms.

Well said. However, IMO you missed that the world is now openly ruled by greed and the love of money- algorithms are IMO used by the rich to make money.

1 hour ago, dukeandduke said:

More threesomes, as last weekend made me think. Move to Thailand to teach adults much sooner than I did. Invest a little more aggressively. Looking at the long-term stock charts of Google, Apple, etc., diversification is overrated.

Threesomes wow. Stocks and crypto getting bashed

If you have even one good thing happen to you in your life, like something you couldn't live without. Then,  changing the bad decisions could possibly alter the one fantastic thing. So, no do overs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Threesomes wow. Stocks and crypto getting bashed

I would never touch crypto. I'm all about long-term action. Another thing that I would do differently is buy more stocks and mutual funds on the dips, as I'm doing now.

On 5/7/2022 at 1:48 PM, BritManToo said:

I'd not get married or co-habit in the west.

Save my money and have holidays in Asia every 6 months (temples and beaches).

And be a GBP millionaire when I retired (age 45) from all the money I had saved.

What's better than being a professional musician playing the music you love and getting well paid for it and a choice of beautiful women. Why would I want to change that for anything else?

Overall I've had a great life that many would envy and am now retired, look in good shape to the casual observer, and am financially secure. I've always been single and have never regretted that - I never wanted kids and I do not enjoy sharing a bed for more than an hour or so!

However............ at the age of sixteen I started smoking heavily and am now suffering the consequences to such a degree that I am  reliant on the UK health service and cannot move to Thailand full-time, just visit on extended holidays.

In case you are wondering - I am smoking again due to the stress of the whole Covid thing, and also because I do enjoy it and get a buzz out of it. One of the delights of Thailand is being able to enjoy a cigarette with a beer - can do it here but only outside and the evenings are too damn cold for me, even in the middle of summer!

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

Overall I've had a great life that many would envy and am now retired, look in good shape to the casual observer, and am financially secure. I've always been single and have never regretted that - I never wanted kids and I do not enjoy sharing a bed for more than an hour or so!

However............ at the age of sixteen I started smoking heavily and am now suffering the consequences to such a degree that I am  reliant on the UK health service and cannot move to Thailand full-time, just visit on extended holidays.

In case you are wondering - I am smoking again due to the stress of the whole Covid thing, and also because I do enjoy it and get a buzz out of it. One of the delights of Thailand is being able to enjoy a cigarette with a beer - can do it here but only outside and the evenings are too damn cold for me, even in the middle of summer!

This isn't a flippant question at all.

When you consider all the pleasure that smoking has given you, was it to some degree worth it?

21 hours ago, Grecian said:

This isn't a flippant question at all.

When you consider all the pleasure that smoking has given you, was it to some degree worth it?

That is a thought-provoking question - I have always enjoyed smoking and therefor it has contributed to my "quality of life". So yes, it was "worth it".

I'm now close to 69 years old - four years ago I had to stop playing squash as my joints would no longer allow me to play at a decent level. Two years ago I stopped mountain-biking as I no longer have the required stamina in my legs due to poor circulation. I can still manage the gym twice-weekly and occasional sex, but for how much longer?

I've always been quite fit and active despite the smoking but, once my final pleasures are denied me, then I'll call it a day. I hope to enjoy another ten years - a "decent innings" I think?

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

That is a thought-provoking question - I have always enjoyed smoking and therefor it has contributed to my "quality of life". So yes, it was "worth it".

I'm now close to 69 years old - four years ago I had to stop playing squash as my joints would no longer allow me to play at a decent level. Two years ago I stopped mountain-biking as I no longer have the required stamina in my legs due to poor circulation. I can still manage the gym twice-weekly and occasional sex, but for how much longer?

I've always been quite fit and active despite the smoking but, once my final pleasures are denied me, then I'll call it a day. I hope to enjoy another ten years - a "decent innings" I think?

I've lived a pretty healthy lifestyle over the years and at 54 my joints are letting me down in a similar way. I've never smoked, drank too much or been overweight! I would settle for another ten years of an active life.????

On 5/8/2022 at 9:55 AM, Sparktrader said:

Why would you want the same life?

Be like watching the same movies over

If it's a really good movie I'd happily watch it a second time.

My movie has personally had some great highlights but there's way to much filler content... I'd have to make some changes as going through the filler for a second time would probably dilute the good stuff.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JayClay said:

If it's a really good movie I'd happily watch it a second time.

My movie has personally had some great highlights but there's way to much filler content... I'd have to make some changes as going through the filler for a second time would probably dilute the good stuff.

I don't regret my decisions, even the bad ones,. I regret the time I wasted inbetween making decisions.