Air Purifier

I used the search function but couldnt find any posts on the topic.

I jus bought a lightly used Xiaomi Mi Air purifier pro, still got 88% of the original filter left.

When I first put it in the bedroom the display was green (ok) and the air pollution number was 003 soon going down to 001. 

I then tried it in the bigger living room and the result was the same. Is this malfunctioning? Anyone who has a purifier is your number a lot higher then coming down as you use the purifier?

I've opened the slot at the rear that houses the sensor, can't see anything, no dust or trapped insects etc.

Any thoughts please.

There have been many threads on the subject - search using Google and forum name for much better results than forum search - even without forum name it is normally better.

Numbers go down as air gets cleaner - anything below 010 is quite clean if using normal system of measurement.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

Just my two cents:

The Xiaomi is an amazingly wonderful air purifier machine.

I use the tall ones, and not the short ones.

If you do not replace the filter, then the small circular screen will change from red to green, and then back to red.  This is a sign that you need to replace your filter.

Do not be stingy on buying filters for air purifiers.

The Xiaomi air purifier seems to have a very high quality and reliable fan motor.

All you need to do, in order to keep this machine in proper working order, is to replace the filter at the proper time, and the machine will remind you when to do this.

Simple as Pie,....really.

Great machine, IMHO.

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Just my two cents:

The Xiaomi is an amazingly wonderful air purifier machine.

I use the tall ones, and not the short ones.

If you do not replace the filter, then the small circular screen will change from red to green, and then back to red.  This is a sign that you need to replace your filter.

Do not be stingy on buying filters for air purifiers.

The Xiaomi air purifier seems to have a very high quality and reliable fan motor.

All you need to do, in order to keep this machine in proper working order, is to replace the filter at the proper time, and the machine will remind you when to do this.

Simple as Pie,....really.

Great machine, IMHO.

As I said the machine is nearly new and the filter has 88% left, no issue with the filter at all.

What I wanted to know is it normal for a room to register 001-003 without using a purifier? If that is normal and the purifier is working and showing the correct data then it is redunadant and not required in my home.

2 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

As I said the machine is nearly new and the filter has 88% left, no issue with the filter at all.

What I wanted to know is it normal for a room to register 001-003 without using a purifier? If that is normal and the purifier is working and showing the correct data then it is redunadant and not required in my home.

If showing 001-003 there would not be any need for purifier - your OP seemed to indicate readings were with filter operating - check the AQI website for local readings as do not believe anywhere in Thailand would have such without filtering.  Suspect your meter wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If showing 001-003 there would not be any need for purifier - your OP seemed to indicate readings were with filter operating - check the AQI website for local readings as do not believe anywhere in Thailand would have such without filtering.  Suspect your meter wrong.

As I am sure you know, and as everyone else here knows, there are two standards for measuring particulates in the air.

Regarding the Xiaomi machine, if you are normally getting a reading of 003 at its lowest fan setting, then it is likely that you do not need to use it.

However, I do not care what the reading might be on my machines.  I just keep them running because I love the sound of them; the white noise they produce helps me sleep, and precludes me from posting overly many posts on TV, for example.

To answer you question:  If you are using an AC, plus your Xiaomi machine, and your Xiaomi registers 001 to 003, you do not need to keep your air purifier running, for air purification purposes.

Although, if you are also using some sensitive electronic equipment, such as a high-class server, then you might still wish to keep your Xiaomi running. 

As you have already stated, there is a small port (air inlet) on the Xiaomi machine which should be kept clean so that the sensor provides accurate readings.

Also, I once needed to open up the machine in order to remove a lizard which crawled in there and died.  This may happen to you, too, depending upon your local environment.

I have Xiaomi Mi Air purifier 3C. I just leave it on Auto and let it do its thing. It typically shows 001 - 010 at most when running full time. If i open the balcony door then it might jump to 030 momentarily - until the fan speeds up. 

31 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

As a test I am now runnuing it outside, it slowly crept up to 005 and five minutes later is fluctuating between 003-005.

The ASQ website quotes 13 for Hua Hin.

It's crept up to 010 then fluctuates again between 006-010 so maybe the sensor/display is working.

I will move it back inside and leave it on for a prolonged period.

Thanks for your interest and replies.

Edited by YorkshireTyke
typo

53 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

As a test I am now runnuing it outside, it slowly crept up to 005 and five minutes later is fluctuating between 003-005.

The ASQ website quotes 13 for Hua Hin.

I see current report of 8 (which is good) for Hua Hin (you have a strong sea breeze) so really no need to run filter - but many or us run 24 hours and appreciate the white noise in bedroom.  Expect your location will often have good air quality compared to more inland locations.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 10:00 AM, lopburi3 said:

I see current report of 8 (which is good) for Hua Hin (you have a strong sea breeze) so really no need to run filter - but many or us run 24 hours and appreciate the white noise in bedroom.  Expect your location will often have good air quality compared to more inland locations.

White noise is great, in Thailand.

This is what I was intimating.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:50 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

However, I do not care what the reading might be on my machines.  I just keep them running because I love the sound of them; the white noise they produce helps me sleep, and precludes me from posting overly many posts on TV, …

It’s not working! Try changing the filter

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

It’s not working! Try changing the filter

Now that we have established that the Soapy Massage might be safe for younger guys, I happened to think a bit concerning whether or not young men of the Flying Tiger Type might have had Soapy Massages in-between times they were flying over the hump.

I have no doubt these men of honor had soapy massages, and good ones, too, anytime they came back from their very Un-safe missions.

Flying over the hump, even today, is a phrase which has a ring to it, and one equally full of glamor.

image.jpeg.52622adda1e2e874b5e90a274ad40763.jpeg

We can be sure that Claire Lee Chennault had no need of soapy massages; He had plenty of opportunity for in-house scented baths, at home, with his beautiful wife.

image.jpeg.5b058d9392f511dd937f909785edac6f.jpeg

Pretty much, same with me.

I loved soapy massages with my wife, too.

She was Chinese, you know.

15 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Now that we have established that the Soapy Massage might be safe for younger guys, I happened to think a bit concerning whether or not young men of the Flying Tiger Type might have had Soapy Massages in-between times they were flying over the hump.

I have no doubt these men of honor had soapy massages, and good ones, too, anytime they came back from their very Un-safe missions.

Flying over the hump, even today, is a phrase which has a ring to it, and one equally full of glamor.

image.jpeg.52622adda1e2e874b5e90a274ad40763.jpeg

We can be sure that Claire Lee Chennault had no need of soapy massages; He had plenty of opportunity for in-house scented baths, at home, with his beautiful wife.

image.jpeg.5b058d9392f511dd937f909785edac6f.jpeg

Pretty much, same with me.

I loved soapy massages with my wife, too.

She was Chinese, you know.

When it comes to safety, from what I have seen, Line Dancing looks safer than Lion Dancing, though I have never seen a mishap during either.

There are far too few dancing safety threads on this forum, and I rely upon you to rectify that, as I am abroad on my phone

Just now, StreetCowboy said:

When it comes to safety, from what I have seen, Line Dancing looks safer than Lion Dancing, though I have never seen a mishap during either.

There are far too few dancing safety threads on this forum, and I rely upon you to rectify that, as I am abroad on my phone

Dear Sir:

You have been abroad since I first had the pleasure of knowing you, almost 10 years in the past.

Do you now mean that you are abroad from that place where you were abroad, the first time we met?

Continued best wishes to you, while you continue to live abroad.

Take care!

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Sir:

You have been abroad since I first had the pleasure of knowing you, almost 10 years in the past.

Do you now mean that you are abroad from that place where you were abroad, the first time we met?

Continued best wishes to you, while you continue to live abroad.

Take care!

There’s no point in asking; if you want a job done, you might as well do it yourself…

49 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

There’s no point in asking; if you want a job done, you might as well do it yourself…

Strangely enough, while, at this very moment, reading a copy of "Tess of the d'Urbervilles: A Pure Woman Faithfully Presented", Thomas Hardy, I was suddenly reminded of my days in China, decades ago, days during which Chinese women were more innocent and reserved.

And then, I recalled a tune I heard, just before I left China.  And this tune will always remain sort of my signature tune, one that reminds me of some of my days in Shanghai.

Would you mind if I post here?

Shanghai, these days, is not what it once was before the revolution.

Maybe there will be another revolution in the future.

No one can say.

"REVOLUTION IS OUT OF HAND"

Quoting from the lyrics here.

"The solution is revolution"

Although it cannot come quickly enough, yet, it will not come easy, and it will not come quickly.

====

Music aside, and good times aside, in Shanghai, it is all about PURIFICATION.

Purification of the Air.

Purification of the Mind.

Purification of Thought.

Etc.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Nothing to do with the filter. If it's not working it would be the sensor that is giving a false reading.

Any reading is a good reading when you post as much as Gamma G