Getting deposit back

20 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Did you have a contract where the agreement is stated included the deposit? 

I have a rental contract for my rental home but we didn’t do a written contract for 6 days rent. But I have LINE conversations with him and I got screenshots. He says he has 3000 deposit and he will give back 2000 back in our line conversation. 
If I go tourist police they can help ? 

@spidermike 

I know arrested people about negative reviews in Thailand according to defamation laws. I also thought to do first but then I scared about it. 

Defamation is a criminal offence in Thailand, carrying a maximum sentence of two years in prison, along with a 200,000 baht (£4,915) fine. Rights groups have long warned that the law is draconian, and that it has been abused to silence activists and journalists. Unlike in many other countries, truth cannot automatically be relied upon as a defence.”

8 minutes ago, kiever said:

I have a rental contract for my rental home but we didn’t do a written contract for 6 days rent. But I have LINE conversations with him and I got screenshots. He says he has 3000 deposit and he will give back 2000 back in our line conversation. 
If I go tourist police they can help ? 

@spidermike 

I know arrested people about negative reviews in Thailand according to defamation laws. I also thought to do first but then I scared about it. 

Defamation is a criminal offence in Thailand, carrying a maximum sentence of two years in prison, along with a 200,000 baht (£4,915) fine. Rights groups have long warned that the law is draconian, and that it has been abused to silence activists and journalists. Unlike in many other countries, truth cannot automatically be relied upon as a defence.”

I posted a bad review of a resort, and that solved my deposit problem in no time, but to be true, I already left that place. 

Thai or falang you dealing with? 

Tourist police I doubt will do anything, but It is worth to try and talk to them. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Good for you, but overall a very poor suggestion with the criminal and civil laws here regarding defamation.

I am also afraid of these laws. First I wanted to go his agency and talk with them about him and my deposit.  but my girlfriend said he can sue me because he will lose his face against his colleagues in his business place. . and this is not something impossible in Thailand. 
I just have screenshots of our conversations in line and bank transfer receipt. The amount is not big , first option I will forget this money. But that means he won’t give back my 5000 deposit also from my rental condo , too. 

I don’t know what I can do as second option. The amount is very small and doesn’t worth to talk with lawyers. I texted agent many times and he even don’t answer. My thai girlfriend called him and he said , we have to wait and he cannot say when he will refund deposit. 

Edited by kiever

26 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Good for you, but overall a very poor suggestion with the criminal and civil laws here regarding defamation.

I would not doubt one second if a foreigner with a little bit sense to post a bad review. Also a bigger chain I have done, but polite remarks of course. The poor examples we have seen that went wrong ( I have seen), I would say a few pushed their luck a bit to far. 

Anyway, its hard to suggest a solution when he still living there, and not know how the agent act etc. 

I would have terminated the contract and moved, even it costed me the deposits. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Out of maybe 30 rentals of cars and appartments from Thais, and some few falang run as well, I only so far experienced trouble with one dutch and one german run Resort. Everyone else have been great and due to contract. 

Could it be that, by your description of your business, you seem too powerful for Thais to follow their instinct of not being responsible regarding their obligations, and paying their debt to you...

Edited by Andre0720
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

That will not be an easy one.

I never give a deposit, looking elsewhere is better, unless one is ready to accept never seeing that money again.

In Thailand, a personal loan is a 'gift'. a deposit is typically a 'gift', these people are not to be trusted with money.

So bad it is that Thais cannot rent a vehicle, here in Phuket at least, because they are not trustworthy, they have no shame when keeping these 'gifts', as they are not responsible people by their own culture. A Thai person might have too much problems trying to recuperate a loan from another individual, and for a farang, it is just impossible.

And even more sadly, it is even part of their justice system, calling them out can be a problem legally. Defamation. Lying is so much part of the culture, that telling the truth can get one in trouble here.

Not always, as it is mentioned by some forum members...

And you live in Thailand, generalizing Thai people like that? Good luck. You will finally meet the wrong one, and truthfully you deserve it. You should feel ashamed, but probably do not have any clue so I do it for you.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

And you live in Thailand, generalizing Thai people like that? Good luck. You will finally meet the wrong one, and truthfully you deserve it. You should feel ashamed, but probably do not have any clue so I do it for you.

Actually, this does not come from me.

It comes from Thai people who told me how it is here. Like they cannot rent a motorbike etc. And that money i lent to Thai people, i will never get back.

So please keep your ignorant opinions to yourself pls.

2 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Could it be that, by your description of your business, you seem too powerful for Thais to follow their instinct of not being responsible regarding their obligations, and paying their debt to you...

I do not know, but overall in life I have very few struggles or problems with other people. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kiever said:

My father checked out yesterday and we left key in lobby

And that was a mistake IMO. No Deposit returned no Key returned, you don't get a key till you have paid a deposit so for me the reverse also applies, but it could be he is waiting for the cleaners to report/inspect.

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

That was a lame excuse. "a friend told me", "this is what I heard Thai people say" and so on..... So, that does not mean that you did not write and post it online? I think you have to learn to take responsibilities for your actions.

As another thing, just because I do not like you living in a foreign country looking down on the locals as a whole ignorant. Something that means, I will not keep it to myself. If you post something, you have to learn to deal with the different reactions that might follow. Also stand up for what you post and not blame others for it.

Put a lid on it.

Nothing to do with blame.

I am stating facts about Thailand and Thai people.

And I am stating the source of these facts.

What I have learned on my own, and what Thais have taught me about Thai people and Thai culture.

You are just making a narrative to support your erroneous claims.

Coming to Thailand i belived in the "Fact" that i never was going to get my deposit back.

But i learn like many other things, That was 100% wrong.
And probably born on a bar stool some where, Like so many other things about Thailand or Thai people.

The first 5 years here i move around a lot, Give days / week(s) notices, Move long before contract ends.
And all ways got 100% deposit back.
And every landlord say NO to get money from me to cover the powerbill coming some days after i move.
But i did not take no for answer, And give money to cover that bill.

In the +11 years here now, I never meet any foreigner that didnt get 100% back, Or most of it back.

But all have hear / read about it.

I lost most of my deposit back in Denmark every time i move.

So i am very happy about how it is done here in Thailand from was i seeing my self.

Kindly.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hummin said:

I do not know, but overall in life I have very few struggles or problems with other people. 

Yes, there is a way to limit or avoid having problems with other people here.

The main way is to keep to oneself here, to not interfere or get involved with the people.

Since I have been doing that, yes, few or no problems with people.

I remember witnessing an accident close to where I stay. I stayed on site for a while, thinking that I had to testify to what I saw. As it was taking some time, i drove back to my apartment building, and asked advice from a Thai lady friend, a neighbor. She said, 'stay away', this can get very dangerous for you if you testify. Someone might and will seek vengeance for you testifying against them.

And other members saying that the police might target you as responsible, for something that you merely saw.

All the Thais that befriended me, ended up stealing form me. Lots of money over a long time in one case. I thought i had learned, but then again, I paid 12,000 bahts for the repairs of a motorbike, owned by the boyfriend of my neighbor.

Not one baht was repaid after 8 months. As I have read so many times before, these people are not responsible for anything that they can get away with.

And regarding vehicle rentals here, the Thais being unable to rent  from a Thai owned shop, might be more for motorbikes, sought more by younger people.

And the same neighbor, some 8 years ago, bought a car to rent out. Rented to a Russian guy, using it as a taxi to go greet Russian nationals at the airport. No problems. When this Russian guy returned the car after some 3 or 4 years, my neighbor rented it out to a find of another neighbor here, a Thai national. Within 2 weeks, the car was wrecked, this guy drunk at night. Never paid a baht that was required as per the contract.

So these all add up to create an impression here.

Now I do not get involved. A lot better

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kiever said:

I am also afraid of these laws. First I wanted to go his agency and talk with them about him and my deposit.  but my girlfriend said he can sue me because he will lose his face against his colleagues in his business place. . and this is not something impossible in Thailand. 
I just have screenshots of our conversations in line and bank transfer receipt. The amount is not big , first option I will forget this money. But that means he won’t give back my 5000 deposit also from my rental condo , too. 

I don’t know what I can do as second option. The amount is very small and doesn’t worth to talk with lawyers. I texted agent many times and he even don’t answer. My thai girlfriend called him and he said , we have to wait and he cannot say when he will refund deposit. 

There are legal options you can take WHEN AND IF IT happens.

first, there is no need to rent long term and no need to pay so much.

most hotels in phuket are empty and giving huge discounts, check agoda.com

second, my advice to you is to leave this condo as soon as you can and never look back.

my policy in thailand is zero tolerance for crooks and rude traders.

there are so many nice thai business people, that we do not need to

suffer from the stupid arrogant ones.

if he is cheating you on one deposit he might as well break into you condo.

but do not do anything aggresive, no confrontation. just wait for your contract to end,

take whatever he gives from your deposits, and never look back.

• Like 2