Country or city living in Thailand?

webfact

image.jpeg

file photo for reference only

OPINION | by Michael Bridge

Back in January 2019, we posted a viewer’s comments (known as Village farang) on the balance of choosing to live in Bangkok against the country.

It has become one of our most viewed topics with over 91,000 views and 634 replies. Here is a brief extract….

I lived in Bangkok for thirty years and before that in the suburbs of a university town and then in Hawaii on the windward coast. 

I used to debate with a cousin of mine about whether it was better to live in the city and visit the countryside or live in the countryside and visit the city. 

Looking back, I see that my being single had a lot to do with my city preference. 

After being married for nearly ten years, traveling a lot as a married couple and me getting older and feeling the need for a homestead of my own, my preference switched to country living and visiting the city.

After thirty years in the city, I wanted some toys and hobbies other than my squash racquets and club memberships. 

I wanted land, views, pets, cars, motorcycle, bicycles, hiking, waterfalls, reservoirs, rivers, mountains, and beautiful sunsets shared with my wife and our pets.

I suppose I brought with me my city sensibilities and was looking for nature, beauty, and comfort, not how to make a living from the land. 

I now am eleven years into my country living and I am still enjoying it. 

I find a drive into town every few days, an occasional flight to Bangkok or an impromptu road trip only helps to reinforce my attachment to country living. It is always so very nice to return home.

The Dynamics have changed

Now, this was posted just before the Covid pandemic reared its ugly face, and perhaps the dynamics have changed.

The balance between say existing in Bangkok or up in the hills or beside a beach has been eased by our ability to exist and to communicate online.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

If the reason you might have said no to the country before may have been because of work, however, most companies have accepted that staff can be just as productive working from home as sitting in a high-rise office.

In fact, many companies can save millions in expensive city rents if a large percentage work from home.

Thailand’s countrywide internet has also greatly improved now which helps of course.

Quality of life is now so vital for everyone and continually breathing in toxic fumes from the cars and buses plus the daily pollution in Bangkok is not good for anyone’s health.

image.jpeg

file photo for reference only

Again, so living high in the hills around Chiang Mai or perhaps beside the sea in Bang Saray away from the fumes makes sense.

However, perhaps the biggest decision confronting city dwellers now is the alarming cost of living due to the pandemic and the Ukraine conflict.

Food has to be delivered by gas-guzzling trucks into the Bangkok supermarkets so inevitably prices are rising.

Staying in the country not only do you have space to grow your own fruit and veg, but you can shop at local markets at a fraction of the cost. And it is fresh!!!

Finally, the largest chunk of our monthly overheads is rent, so moving further out will be great news for your bank balance.

Of course, if you miss the razzle-dazzle of the big mango, you can always take a weekend break there especially at the moment with the low hotel rates online.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, a brief extract from someone that is extremely rich - going by they spouting off - and bears no resemblance to 99% of people living here

I must admit i didn't read all of the "brief extact" but where did it indicate he is extremely rich?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

I must admit i didn't read all of the "brief extact" but where did it indicate he is extremely rich?

Not in the above article but it is very apparent in the topic it refers to of "village farang" pinned in the General forum.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

"village farang"

I'm the known farang of my moo ban. However, I use the powerful word "teacher" to repel them from any possible financial enrichment activities.

It worked just as well to keep from getting second dates back in the States. ????

• Haha 1

To each their own for sure. In Thailand there are cities and then there is Bangkok. Nothing against the place. First rate medical care if needed, endless dining, shopping options and all the rest. But as a retired old guy with small family, I love upcountry living on a couple rai just a few kilometers from a medium sized city. Has everything but on a much smaller scale. As they say- 'up to you'

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I'm the known farang of my moo ban. However, I use the powerful word "teacher" to repel them from any possible financial enrichment activities.

It worked just as well to keep from getting second dates back in the States. ????

Initially, when my family (Thai son, his Thai wife, now 3 kids and me) move into our new moo baan house son had several visitors who were polite, friendly etc., but with some of them the conversation soon got around to lending them money.

Son quickly responded with 'you can't speak to my farang father about it, he can't speak any Thai language'.

Followed by 'well actually I was going to ask you if I can borrow some money from you? (Same response he used many times when he was a uni student.)

They quickly changed the subject/disappeared. 

Edited by scorecard

If you are rich, you can live in both. If you are poor, you live where

you can survive.  City life is very convenient, and being close to Doctor clinics and

hospitals is necessary for some, especially when you are old. Country life is nice if

you are in good health, and good financial health as well.