Analysis: Thai Public Health Ministry doubling down on public mask mandates, say looking for ways to enforce them better for tourists

webfact

image.jpeg

By Adam Judd

Bangkok, Thailand- As Thailand continues to open up and move towards treating Covid-19 as endemic, mask mandates seem unlikely to change despite regular complaints by many tourists from countries without outdoor and in many cases indoor mask mandates.

First, as a reference, is the original statements by the Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul yesterday, May 11th.

As stated briefly in the above article, at this point keeping mask mandates, even outdoors, seems to currently be part of the plan even after Covid19 is considered as endemic in Thailand.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

TPN notes there is often a lot of confusion due to mixed messages in the past about mask mandates. There is not a law to wear a mask, which is often quoted by people online, as this requires many steps and Parliament approval.

However, under the emergency decree in place for over two years now,

mask mandates fall under measures implemented currently in every province by communicable disease committees and fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Public Health.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/05/12/analysis-thai-public-health-ministry-doubling-down-on-public-mask-mandates-say-looking-for-ways-to-enforce-them-better-for-tourists/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-05-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 8

These situations always play out the same

Vague rules, not communicated to tourists

"Authorities" randomly enforce the rules

"Authorities" shake tourists down for "fee"

Vlogger makes video of "authorities" shake-down

Maybe a shake down escalates to violence

Tourist is arrested

Authorities are talked down

Much wai-ing at a presser

"It won't happen again"

Rinse repeat,

The circle of life in thailand.

See the rent a cops at the BTS multiple times per day interacting with mask-challenged tourists. They've been trained well, so no skirmishes witnessed, although the odd tourists does push back, usually animatedl by waiving their armas and hands about like a helicopter.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

As stated briefly in the above article, at this point keeping mask mandates, even outdoors, seems to currently be part of the plan even after Covid19 is considered as endemic in Thailand.

Good, should decrease the respiratory ailments that thousands of Thais die from silently each year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaideedave said:

Get rid of those stupid face diapers for good. Inside a shop maybe but now its just bullying and not necessary. My own Thai family are wearing them inside our car when we venture out. I try to reason with them how silly they look but the "sheep" do it anyway?

So you're not worried about PM2.5 and filing your lungs with pollution?

Why not just make it mandatory to wear a crash helmet at all times? Reduces transmission of diseases and protects in the case of an accident, all at the same time.

Reduce road and covid deaths at the same time !!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

at this point keeping mask mandates, even outdoors, seems to currently be part of the plan

Not across the border in Cambodia and for reference:

"...the PM stated “First, exempt the duty of wearing a mask throughout the country in public places and open places other than closed places, leaving the people to make their own decisions to wear a mask or not"

"....the requirement is still in place for closed spaces – i.e. an air-conditioned meeting room or a crowded movie theater"

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501064074/historic-day-for-cambodia-as-pm-removes-mask-requirement-for-open-spaces/

Tourists visiting Cambodia can enjoy their holiday without the need to wear a face mask unless going to the cinema or attending a conference.

This also applies to those of you considering a visa run (land or air).

I no longer wear a mask but I carry one in my pocket just in case I am requested to do so.   

• Like 1

they better clear that fast as the foreigners/tourists I see around 99.9% of them NO mask.... but if they ask them to use the masks that will stop them from coming.... double edge knife

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

, I do mind if I have to wear a mask then the tourists should wear a mask

It reminds me of a friend who wanted to become an airforce pilot. When told once he enlisted that might not happen and asked what he would like to do instead he said he'd join the anti aircraft canon brigade. He was then asked why? He answered: if I don't fly - nobody flies!!

Seems to be relaxed in many areas however, a You Tube Vlogger said the RTP are out full force in Phuket.  He claimed he got stopped on his MB for no mask and was told he needed to pay 20,000 b. He claimed he settled it for less.

So, I guess you never know best to at least keep one with you when out.

Edited by bkk6060

tourists should just wear masks if they want to. If the 100,000s of tourists they keep saying are/will  be coming dont wear one, what are they going to do? arrest/fine them all?

that would make for some good social media posts