Flights to UK

mikebell

I'm going round in circles looking to book for July/August.  I don't want to go Middle East as I like the long flight - 2 gins/wine/cognac + Valium & it's time for breakfast. Can anyone recommend a site which is easy to follow.   Tried Skyscanner & there's all sorts of extras like baggage/seat booking.  The shortest layover is Air France or Finnair.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Where are you going?

A few days ago I got seats for July returning August on Thai Airways to London via Booking.com.

Flexi economy tickets for two cost just short of 90k baht - far more than I've ever paid before, but as we've not been for 3 years I can just about afford it, and this time I too prefer the direct flight.

Edit, sorry, just re-read the topic title.

Edited by Eff1n2ret

59 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Tried Skyscanner & there's all sorts of extras like baggage/seat booking.

That is the way flight tickets are sold these days . 

They start off with the basic flight price and you can add luggage, food , seats etc or you can decline them all and save money

7 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

With BA I always found it cheaper.

BA again canceled all Bangkok flights until Oct 22.

(from the news, didn't check booking site)

Edited by KhunBENQ

19 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

Don't know if Eva is back on-line for passengers.

On their site you can book BKK - LHR three flights a week in August.

Very attractive one way price from 13880.

For one stop my choice would be SWISS or Austrian.

Finnair is plagued with longer flight times due to airspace closures.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Traveloka pretty good easy booking site.

Direct options Thai airways complete price, or Scoot direct to gatwick with buying everything as an add on, luggage, food, a pilot etc....... but one free date change.

Avoiding middle east but a short 1 hour or so hop back to Uk from Europe, then KLM, Finnair, Swissair, Air France etc.

Quick flight to Singapore then direct to London both with Singapore airways easy night flight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sapson said:

Traveloka pretty good easy booking site.

Direct options Thai airways complete price, or Scoot direct to gatwick with buying everything as an add on, luggage, food, a pilot etc....... but one free date change.

Avoiding middle east but a short 1 hour or so hop back to Uk from Europe, then KLM, Finnair, Swissair, Air France etc.

Quick flight to Singapore then direct to London both with Singapore airways easy night flight.

malaysia and cathay for one stop as well,  direct i would look at scoot, go for the plus seating, which includes food, etc

Edited by steve187

I've been loking for flights from the UK recently and Air Fance and KLM among others are adverising low prices, until you come to book and discover all the add-ons. These include checkin baggage of only 20kg, seat allocation, online checkin etc., all very expensive and priced per leg, so I just pass. Emerates, not particularly cheap, but have 30kg baggage allowance and a comfortable break in Dubai of about 2 hours. 15 Years ago, Thai Air was a great airline.  However, we flew to Thailand for three weeks and returned 2 weeks ago and apart from being very expensive at around £1300 each for the lowest class, the flight and service was appauling with indifferent attendants to the point of rudeness. Being stuck at the rear, the engine noise was such that it was impossible to watch a movie.  It's not difficult to find reasonable prices using on line booking site such as Kayak until you look more closely and inevitably find huge 30 hour + travel times.  This includes Singapore Air which is a great airline, but have 15-20 hours stopover in Changi with a note that any expenditure for hotels, food etc is at your expense.

It is extremely easy to book flights online . 

Just do a websreach and all the flights come up with details of the airline, stop over, length of stop over and departure times and all other info required .

Select your flight and where you want to buy it from , fill out all the flight details , name PP number and debit cards details and whether you nee extra baggage or specific seats  and press "Buy" .

It is so easy and takes about five minutes . 

36 minutes ago, My Paradice Lost said:

I've been loking for flights from the UK recently and Air Fance and KLM among others are adverising low prices, until you come to book and discover all the add-ons. These include checkin baggage of only 20kg, seat allocation, online checkin etc., all very expensive and priced per leg, so I just pass. Emerates, not particularly cheap, but have 30kg baggage allowance and a comfortable break in Dubai of about 2 hours. 15 Years ago, Thai Air was a great airline.  However, we flew to Thailand for three weeks and returned 2 weeks ago and apart from being very expensive at around £1300 each for the lowest class, the flight and service was appauling with indifferent attendants to the point of rudeness. Being stuck at the rear, the engine noise was such that it was impossible to watch a movie.  It's not difficult to find reasonable prices using on line booking site such as Kayak until you look more closely and inevitably find huge 30 hour + travel times.  This includes Singapore Air which is a great airline, but have 15-20 hours stopover in Changi with a note that any expenditure for hotels, food etc is at your expense.

KLM luggage is 23 kilo ! and hand luggage total 12 kilo allowed  (hand luggage +  a personal bag item ...) so a total of 35 kilo..., another extra luggage 23 kilo bag for 80 euro can be bought online or by checking in at BKK airport counter 

Edited by david555

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

I'm going round in circles looking to book for July/August.  I don't want to go Middle East as I like the long flight - 2 gins/wine/cognac + Valium & it's time for breakfast.

There are 2 direct flights Thai air and EVA they fly BKK LHR

F2CEAE18-E9BB-4B0F-AAB5-24EC4CC79E52.thumb.jpeg.b4c7bb48346d3eefed1c3f5cc63ee038.jpeg
263CDC4F-B05A-48D4-A89B-954F164F1600.thumb.jpeg.34fc1c945c22eb3d90daad2a78c21f56.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Foghorn said:

No extras to gatwick ,scoot 8150 baht one way

Its closer to 10 000 Baht ,because you need to book a seat, you cannot stand up for the whole journey . 

That's with no food and no luggage and nothing at all and there's only five flights per month , I would rather pay an extra few thousand Baht and have a bit of variety and not just the basics 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Emirates are so expensive for flights to/from Bangkok, it’s cheaper to book with Thai Airways, non stop,  or Singapore Airlines one stop. Average prices showing for October, Emirates from £770, Singapore from £580 and Thai from £700.

I recently booked a trip via Singapore with 2 nights layover(my choice) in Singapore, to BKK with SIngapore Airlines direct, for £608 return from LHR, a lot cheaper than I thought it would be, especially compared to the Middle East carriers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That's with no food and no luggage and nothing at all

One of the worst price faking low cost airline I ever saw.

Maybe also have to pay for payment in final step? (like AirAsia)

• Like 1

Best app (for me) is Momondo ..

Simple ..put in from/to ...

Select single or return trip

Enter your date(s)

Select direct ot multi stop 

Can also select fixed date or +/- days to get best prices

Done .. will display the fastest, cheapest  etc..

Booked Lufthansa for a flight in June to the UK via Munich, Most airlines are flying via another stop to maximise passenger numbers, Thai fly direct to the UK, went with them in 2021, will not fly with them again as had no inflight entertainment at all (was told by the air stewardess they had not paid their license fee) and when I looked at flying back here with Thai was told by a booking agent(think it was Flight Centre) they no longer sell tickets for them as the airline were not giving refunds to passengers. So do not need the hassle. 

Lufthansa has just told me the connecting flight between Munich and UK has been changed to the following day now, so will have to try and get anothe flight from Munich with another airline or I will have to stay over night, will lufthansa pay my accomadation? I not think so. This is the world we live in at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/4/2022 at 12:56 AM, bkk6060 said:

Thailand is certainly not "dead forever."  Just wait until China opens up with all the suppression they have endeared, I bet many try to move here permanently. This time next year I bet Intl tourists are over 2 million a month.

I'm glad I live 'out in the sticks' and away from the tourist influx madness ...

Who needs 10ml Chinese tourists back !!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Sorry, I should have said Manchester

This would be the typical mid east route with Qatar (Doha - Manchester) :biggrin:

Manchester is surely served by the major European carriers.

You would have to check connection/transit times.

Still going nonstop to London with Eva Air seems a good option.

Maybe look for a separate booking to Manchester?

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

This would be the typical mid east route with Qatar (Doha - Manchester) :biggrin:

Manchester is surely served by the major European carriers.

You would have to check connection/transit times.

Still going nonstop to London with Eva Air seems a good option.

Maybe look for a separate booking to Manchester?

I'm doing that but worried about transferring luggage from one terminal to another.  EVA is a good price with no fuss about seat booking which I have experienced on other flights.

23 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I'm doing that but worried about transferring luggage from one terminal to another. 

Just seen the unfavorable schedule of EVA. Arriving 19:25 in the evening :sad:

So looks like a no go for Manchester.

Much better schedules (night flights) with Lufthansa or KLM.