Flights to UK

mikebell

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just seen the unfavorable schedule of EVA. Arriving 19:25 in the evening :sad:

So looks like a no go for Manchester.

Much better schedules (night flights) with Lufthansa or KLM.

I don't mind arriving late in Manchester.  BA used to get me in at 9.30pm.  I only had to hold my head up for an hour or so, then bed time snuggled under a duvet against the UK cold!

On 5/14/2022 at 7:45 AM, actonion said:

Try         Cheaptickets.co.th      fly Singapore air,  layover 90 minutes in Singapore,   arrive  LHR  early morning   29,000thb  + Economy price 

Another vote for cheaptickets from me as well. 

• Like 1

Just came back on Qa

On 5/13/2022 at 11:15 AM, KhunBENQ said:

This would be the typical mid east route with Qatar (Doha - Manchester) :biggrin:

Manchester is surely served by the major European carriers.

You would have to check connection/transit times.

Still going nonstop to London with Eva Air seems a good option.

Maybe look for a separate booking to Manchester?

Just came back on Qatar biz class, they changed my payed for reserved window seat for one in the middle without notice, seat controls did not work on one flight and the food was worse than economy, could not eat hardy any of it. Staff were very nice but would not go with them again at that price.

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2022 at 1:04 PM, cyril sneer said:

only for short haul or pikey airlines

all the decent airlines will include 20-25kg luggage, if they don't, avoid

Incorrect. Most of the 'decent airlines' are quoting a lowest fare which has no checked bags and is non-endorsable  and non-refundable on long-haul routes.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 8:10 AM, mikebell said:

Sorry, I should have said Manchester - not calling in at Old Trafford though.  Took my Thai wife there in happier times.

I use the following to get an idea whats out there, then go direct to the airlines website to confirm/purchase.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search

I plugged in dates for July/August and Lufthansa had the lowest of the European 1-stop options at 43-45 k baht r/t. Also has acceptable depart/arrival  times and decent layovers via Munich.

Unfortunately, Finnair have shifted their focus to other markets that avoid conflict areas and both inbound and outbound UK flights via Helsinki now require lengthy layovers.

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Unfortunately, Finnair have shifted their focus to other markets that avoid conflict areas and both inbound and outbound UK flights via Helsinki now require lengthy layovers.

Finnair will increase HEL-BKK flights from daily to 11/week for Winter 2023.

Have you looked at different days departures from your UK airport?  I have the same problem from EDI but there's at least one day a week where the connection is fine IIRC.

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I use the following to get an idea whats out there, then go direct to the airlines website to confirm/purchase.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search

I plugged in dates for July/August and Lufthansa had the lowest of the European 1-stop options at 43-45 k baht r/t. Also has acceptable depart/arrival  times and decent layovers via Munich.

Thank you so much for this link. Very useful.  Singapore/Emirates look to be my best bet for my daughter's wedding May 2024.  (About 40K)  After my dreadful experience with Finnair last year I will NEVER use  them again.

On 6/8/2023 at 7:18 AM, mikebell said:

After my dreadful experience with Finnair last year I will NEVER use  them again.

What happened?

They were my post-pandemic airline of choice with business class bargains on their A350's. The only reason I don't use them currently is their schedules require long layovers. As mentioned by @treetops, their high-season 2023/24 schedules may improve this.

On 5/12/2022 at 7:04 AM, cyril sneer said:

only for short haul or pikey airlines

BA have been doing this for years(on all flights) used to pee me off as you would start the booking and then at the end would say would you like luggage which would add £75+ onto the cost(now states hand luggage only). No longer a problem now as they do not fly to Thailand

there was another airline that did it but can't remember who as i never ever used them.

I did read, but it has yet to happen that eventually all airlines will operate this way but that was pre covid. Good old EVA Air (by far the best)offers 2 checked bags at 23KG on economy

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What happened?

They were my post-pandemic airline of choice with business class bargains on their A350's. The only reason I don't use them currently is their schedules require long layovers. As mentioned by @treetops, their high-season 2023/24 schedules may improve this.

On both of the long flights there was insufficient room in the overhead lockers.  I had to travel with my carry-on between my legs - aged 80, this gave me excruciating cramp. The cabin crew shrugged their shoulders, too busy SELLING alcohol at Vintage Champagne prices!  Take-off from  Manchester was delayed by over two hours despite there being only a 2 hour gap before my final flight from Helsinki.  Despite my complaints I was merely offered points in a flying club that I will never ever use with that airline.  I was totally vindicated by an email received two weeks ago in which tight controls on carry-on luggage were announced by Finnair.

26 minutes ago, mikebell said:

On both of the long flights there was insufficient room in the overhead lockers.  I had to travel with my carry-on between my legs - aged 80, this gave me excruciating cramp. The cabin crew shrugged their shoulders, too busy SELLING alcohol at Vintage Champagne prices!  Take-off from  Manchester was delayed by over two hours despite there being only a 2 hour gap before my final flight from Helsinki.  Despite my complaints I was merely offered points in a flying club that I will never ever use with that airline.  I was totally vindicated by an email received two weeks ago in which tight controls on carry-on luggage were announced by Finnair.

I definitely feel your pain when it comes to overhead bins on some airlines. They either don't enforce rules on carry-on quantity so you get people with maybe 5 bags + duty free stuffing the bins or their staff don't lift a finger to make sure that the bins are stuffed to economize on the space. Air France are legendary for standing around while aisles get blocked as people either unpack their 12-hour 'life support systems' and haphazardly load the bins. Maybe (probably) it's an employees union directive like in Australia. I was approached by an AF 'attendant' who asked me pointedly if I had a problem when I blocked the aisle as I angrily repacked an overhead so I could get my single travel backpack in it. When I suggested that my only problem was having to do someone else's job, I was advised that I could always get another flight. Took that as a veiled threat that they would 'call security' and it would no longer be my choice.

Never flown them since either.