2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Must buy in 100 share lots, so buying say at todays price of $2,262.25 USD you would need to utilize $226,225 US or almost a cool quarter million.  I would say that if you have the money buy...as it has dropped in the past month, and would possibly be do for an increase looking at the charts.

Not sure why you have to buy in 100 share lots, wasn’t that a rule decades ago? 

Also Amazon is doing a stock split soon anyways so even if you had to buy in 100 share lots for some odd reason it’d be 10x cheaper. If I recall they’re doing a 10:1 split. 

57 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

High growth is which now? Biden in charge

If you find the next Amazon get on

I like Affirm, one of the only companies that is showing potential to be a great company in all metrics, near 100% of my capital is invested in Affirm. 

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Must buy in 100 share lots, so buying say at todays price of $2,262.25 USD you would need to utilize $226,225 US or almost a cool quarter million.  I would say that if you have the money buy...as it has dropped in the past month, and would possibly be do for an increase looking at the charts.

I haven't bought any of my stocks in 100 share lots, including Amazon.

I see so many people who say…

”Buy Blue Chip dividend paying stocks and hold”

well…let’s look at some from the past

GE

Eastman Kodak

Xerox

Nokia

AT&T

US Steel

Freddie Mac

Fannie Mae

Sears

The list goes on and on and on.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, newnative said:

I haven't bought any of my stocks in 100 share lots, including Amazon.

Then your buying for your portfolio a few share here and a few shares there, and not day trading like I am, I don't pay any fees except the amount between the bid price and the ask price, and even then it is a moot point when I cash out/sell at the end of the day/cycle/or contract.  If your using a broker then he is buying in 100 unit lots and has others he is buying for as well as you, or he is hedging his bets and using the companies money.  You must also be paying a brokerage fee every month for maintenance of your account, I do not.

There are also Crypto day traders who buy and sell daily based upon what they see in the patterns and candles.  A $1k buy in of a crypto at .50 and sold at .75 is a good profit for the day.  Had one decided to buy LUNA when it hit its low and then sold within the next day they could have made a good profit as well.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Then your buying for your portfolio a few share here and a few shares there, and not day trading like I am, I don't pay any fees except the amount between the bid price and the ask price, and even then it is a moot point when I cash out/sell at the end of the day/cycle/or contract.  If your using a broker then he is buying in 100 unit lots and has others he is buying for as well as you, or he is hedging his bets and using the companies money.  You must also be paying a brokerage fee every month for maintenance of your account, I do not.

There are also Crypto day traders who buy and sell daily based upon what they see in the patterns and candles.  A $1k buy in of a crypto at .50 and sold at .75 is a good profit for the day.  Had one decided to buy LUNA when it hit its low and then sold within the next day they could have made a good profit as well.

Correct, I am not a day trader and, yes, I buy and sell stocks for a stock portfolio I have of currently 30 US stocks.  I do not pay a monthly maintenance fee nor a commission for non-broker assisted on-line transactions of US listed stocks.

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 10:29 AM, Hummin said:

He realized his fortune yet? 

If you willing to take risk in a early faze, of course there will be investors who get lucky, if they realize their investment at the right time.

He can sit and wait until it hits 100k or a million. Those who bought at 30k or higher (Musk comes to mind) either can afford to loose and continue life as nothing happened, or loose their life savings, or at worst case they borrowed money. 

About 3,6 million coins lost?

Bitcoin users have misplaced about 20% of all existing tokens, and unlike fiat currency which can potentially be recovered, it's highly unlikely that these tokens will be returned to circulation, analysis by the Wall Street Journal suggests

https://www.investopedia.com/news/20-all-btc-lost-unrecoverable-study-shows/

Yes, he pulled out $10 million when Bitcoin was at $56,000. His position was worth $28 million at that time, from an original investment of under $30K.  He is still sitting on nearly $10 million, and in addition he pulled out enough to buy his sister an amazing home, for cash. So, he has done quite well. I know many who have pulled out some cash, and done very well. The dummies just sit on the crypto, just like the long term stock investors, who are watching their savings being eaten away by the recent corrections, when they could have made a small fortune by getting out and getting back in at the right time. 

Gone are the days of long term investments. Everyone I know who is making money, is getting in and out and back in, at the right time. Static investing does not work anymore in this unstable economic environment. That will be especially so in the months and years ahead, where we are inevitably going to see massive turmoil, market swings and hyper inflation. 

Edited by spidermike007

On 5/14/2022 at 5:00 AM, Sparktrader said:

Not a scam

Up 500% in 3 years

Fiat is a scam

No, fiat is civilization's way of making sure we have a widely available, accepted means of exchange so that we don't have to slaughter each other to get something to eat.

Nixon, who took the US off the Gold Standard, realized the fact that fiat is backed by the taxing authority of the sovereign govt that issues it, which means a function of the ambition, drive and brilliance of the individuals who make up the economy. The US has the advantage of being a massive market, with fabulous liquidity, a decent rule of law that protects capital, and is a bit of a safehaven in times of global turmoil.

Crypto is a system relying solely on the Greater Fool Theory. Because there is zero barrier to entry, coins are collectively even more infinite than fiat, but without the means of reducing supply via taxation or Fed actions. Each individual crypto, while perhaps being finite, is a flavor of the month. btc went up because it went up. It has stopped going up, and since 55% of it holders entered in the last year, the majority of holders are now losing. That will diminish the draw, and this new retail element, if it still has funds, will seek out the next big thing.

All those waiting for 'recovery' can offer no logical explanation for why btc should  rise again. Personally, I would wonder how it could be flat after a year, despite 55% new entrants, unless I accept that the originators are using, and have used, the hype to liquidate back into fiat. That should give pause.

The last few times btc has tumbled, the large holders have come in when the market is thin on the offer side, and ramped it up to rebuild the hype. When the bid side filled in again, they hammered it and liquidated more. It is textbook pump and dump, and I tip my hat to their skill. They must have been penny stock dealers in their non-anonymous, pre-Satoshi days. How many more times will they do this? When will they decide they've cashed out enough, and just let it go on its own? If it doesn't rise, who are the weak hands that will begin to unload first, and could this result in a rout, since there really is nothing but air or hopeful sentiment behind it?

In the BTS yesterday, I saw a major ad that ran along several trains. It said  "Make Every Day Payday". It was an ad for something crypto related. That isn't reality, and reeks of a top, when traincar ads are used to excite retail.

We'll see. I kind of expect another ramp up, but since I don't know who most of the major holders are, and they aren't about to tell me when they are going to pull the plug, I'll steer clear. Good luck to those who try. And if it goes to the moon, congrats to all the new gazillionaires.

I also expect a good many horror stories of losses or of corruption or fraud or hacking to hit the wires over the next few weeks.

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

No, fiat is civilization's way of making sure we have a widely available, accepted means of exchange so that we don't have to slaughter each other to get something to eat.

Nixon, who took the US off the Gold Standard, realized the fact that fiat is backed by the taxing authority of the sovereign govt that issues it, which means a function of the ambition, drive and brilliance of the individuals who make up the economy. The US has the advantage of being a massive market, with fabulous liquidity, a decent rule of law that protects capital, and is a bit of a safehaven in times of global turmoil.

Crypto is a system relying solely on the Greater Fool Theory. Because there is zero barrier to entry, coins are collectively even more infinite than fiat, but without the means of reducing supply via taxation or Fed actions. Each individual crypto, while perhaps being finite, is a flavor of the month. btc went up because it went up. It has stopped going up, and since 55% of it holders entered in the last year, the majority of holders are now losing. That will diminish the draw, and this new retail element, if it still has funds, will seek out the next big thing.

All those waiting for 'recovery' can offer no logical explanation for why btc should  rise again. Personally, I would wonder how it could be flat after a year, despite 55% new entrants, unless I accept that the originators are using, and have used, the hype to liquidate back into fiat. That should give pause.

The last few times btc has tumbled, the large holders have come in when the market is thin on the offer side, and ramped it up to rebuild the hype. When the bid side filled in again, they hammered it and liquidated more. It is textbook pump and dump, and I tip my hat to their skill. They must have been penny stock dealers in their non-anonymous, pre-Satoshi days. How many more times will they do this? When will they decide they've cashed out enough, and just let it go on its own? If it doesn't rise, who are the weak hands that will begin to unload first, and could this result in a rout, since there really is nothing but air or hopeful sentiment behind it?

In the BTS yesterday, I saw a major ad that ran along several trains. It said  "Make Every Day Payday". It was an ad for something crypto related. That isn't reality, and reeks of a top, when traincar ads are used to excite retail.

We'll see. I kind of expect another ramp up, but since I don't know who most of the major holders are, and they aren't about to tell me when they are going to pull the plug, I'll steer clear. Good luck to those who try. And if it goes to the moon, congrats to all the new gazillionaires.

I also expect a good many horror stories of losses or of corruption or fraud or hacking to hit the wires over the next few weeks.

Fiat is ponzi. A $1 in 1980 is worth 28c now.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes, he pulled out $10 million when Bitcoin was at $56,000. His position was worth $28 million at that time, from an original investment of under $30K.  He is still sitting on nearly $10 million, and in addition he pulled out enough to buy his sister an amazing home, for cash. So, he has done quite well. I know many who have pulled out some cash, and done very well. The dummies just sit on the crypto, just like the long term stock investors, who are watching their savings being eaten away by the recent corrections, when they could have made a small fortune by getting out and getting back in at the right time. 

Gone are the days of long term investments. Everyone I know who is making money, is getting in and out and back in, at the right time. Static investing does not work anymore in this unstable economic environment. That will be especially so in the months and years ahead, where we are inevitably going to see massive turmoil, market swings and hyper inflation. 

Being at right place at the right time take a bit risk, and also mu best guess, it is not the only one time risk they have performed in the time they have been investing. 

My luck was that I pulled out in 2006 and did not continue two more years. I was happy, and could pull out knowing I was good. Since then my investments have been low risk, and so far 7-13% pr year, and feel good to continue the same profile. Some will be gained, and some will be lost in both ends, and thats part of the game even with low risk investments. Gold have almost tripled in price, but with inflation, its at least something you can physical hold in your hands. 

49 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Fiat is ponzi. A $1 in 1980 is worth 28c now.

No, it's not a Ponzi. I don't think you know what a Ponzi is. The last 12 months of btc, where 55% of holders are new arrivals, is the definition of Ponzi: late arrivals funds are dispersed to early movers.

In any event, even if a dollar has fallen by 72% in a period of 42 years (wages and most dollar-based assets have risen, so much is relative), that's a better track record than something that fell 60% in half a year, as btc has done.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

No, it's not a Ponzi. I don't think you know what a Ponzi is. The last 12 months of btc, where 55% of holders are new arrivals, is the definition of Ponzi: late arrivals funds are dispersed to early movers.

In any event, even if a dollar has fallen by 72% in a period of 42 years (wages and most dollar-based assets have risen, so much is relative), that's a better track record than something that fell 60% in half a year, as btc has done.

Ponzi scheme fiat

(Btc up 500% in a few years)

Fiat goes down every year

What asset class goes down every year??????

On 5/14/2022 at 1:25 PM, Sparktrader said:

Not entirely true. With big exchanges you tell them you lost your password and they let you reset it. Same like shares.

I'm not talking about the password to your trading account. 

I'm talking about your private keys for your crypto wallets. 

You should never keep your crypto on an exchange account, unless you are actively trading with it. 

Always keep your crypto in a private wallet that you control and don't lose the keys for the wallet.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Walker88 said:

https://www.dnaindia.com/business/report-us-dollar-is-the-world-s-biggest-ponzi-scheme-1220008

Edited by Neeranam