Three cheers for mask-less tourists

BKKBike09

57 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Where are you seeing this? I've not noticed it yet in Pattaya

Many in Buakhao last night, the vast majority even. Same on Beach Road the day before. 

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Buakhao is a bubble where police keep away from so not surprising masks off there

Well I am sitting in Soi Yamato now, over a dozen farangs have walked past and no more than three had masks on. It will be four when I go.

Three more mask less gone past since I posted. Anyway must dash. 

Edited by rott

37 minutes ago, Lorry said:

They  make me vomit. 

These arrogant <deleted> who visit a country and have to show their disdain of the locals. No solidarity with the Thais.  They don't follow the rules here and think they are entitled to it.

No wonder Anutin thinks we are dirty. 

Thais don't say anything when they see these people, they are too polite. But the behaviour of these people makes all farang look bad.

BTW the US is celebrating 1,000,000 deaths today.  

take easy, don't <deleted> yourself, tourists don't know about regulations.

As dr Anutin said, there is no legal obligation to wear masks.

Thai habits are different in each place and change over time. At some places nobody wears masks anymore. Large enclosed restaurants, food courts are opened, nobody wears mask there. From 1str June all bars, discos are opening and nobody will have one. 

Not wearing mask has nothing to do with being clean or dirty. He was referring to personal hygiene, with strong nationalistic and racist undertones (yes, he is a nationalist and racist).

There are many more important factors in getting covid, than masks. Albeit they are the most visible, a fashion accessory for many thais.

What about sneezing and taking mask off, so I won't get dirty? That happen to me twice, without sorry from them. They dont understand why they do wear mask

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

oh comon , i did spend a few days in Pattaya before going to the village . I did wear my mask in the daytime outside , but in the evening practically i never worn . I did have 1 with me but nobody wore it . And basically it is as stupid as it can be . Like i said before in another topic , i am not at all against masks , in fact i am all for it . However , it must be used have its function . What's the point of wearing a mask when im walking in the daytime on the beach and spend 2 hours in a crowdy nightevent indoors where its crowded and no mask wearing ? I just fail to see the use of it . If it is for covid you can just ask also to wear a red nose and big shoes outdoors , and inside do what you want . Just the same ....

I repeat again , i am not against masks , i got a bucketload full in my luggage , and i do wear them , but in most cases over here in Thailand i just 100% fail in comprehending why . Like somebody showed me (Thai person) of a woman in rural Thailand complaining about her aircon not working and breaking down after a few months , while the house it is installed got no doors ( a blanket as doors) , huge gaps under the tin roof , non-insulated open space practically ... . Basically it is just the same , whats the point of it ...  I still wear them here in the village when i go out of the house , but there's people all the time coming in , with their mask on , and taking it off when they entered , and then we are all drinking and eating here together ... as stupid as it can be .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Do you ride a motorcycle in Thailand? Always wear a helmet? Always stick to the left hand lane? Do you always declare to your landlord when you leave your place of residence overnight, as per regulations? Do you scan and check in at every location using Mor Chana? Thai people will break / ignore numerous rules and regulations if they feel they can get away with it / the risk of enforcement is minimal.

Lower Sukhumvit.

In your case, wearing a mask would be useful because it would protect others from your vomit.

"Solidarity with the Thais"! Priceless.

More chance of vomit near your bar stool chap....????

there is no point blaming anybody, including mask less, for catching omicron.

It spreads fast and doctors believe that half population will get it (or already had it since November).

Even if masked and social distancing when going public, you can still catch it from family members, friends, neighbours. There are many other important factors in catching virus.

Because of mild symptoms, it's not a big deal, as with delta and the previous once. 

Getting sick for 3 days is not a drama, this infection acts a booster to earlier vaxes, probably works better, than vaxes. There are still no the second generation moderna, which thai government ordered the last year.

With this infection you might well be protected for another 3 months, possibly much longer.

If there is another wave sometimes with a new variant, you have stand a chance not catching it or just being asymptomatic

Edited by internationalism

outside, go ahead, but not putting one on when being asked by staff and causing a scene is just not respecting the local custom or norms.

it's also ridiculous, you can sit in a restaurant barely meter from the next table, all with masks off

• Like 1

12 hours ago, internationalism said:

Because of mild symptoms, it's not a big deal

The pregnant girl in her 20s who recently died from omicron maybe wouldn't agree with you. 

I myself had almost no symptoms, but i know many people who were quite sick for a week.

if most people are projected to get omicron, which is considered mild, in comparison to delta and previous, there is no point struggling to prevent it.

From 15.02 hospitals stopped taking in those below 39.5C and below 25 breaths per minute. 

Otherwise hospital system would be non-operational, as with gamma and delta wave.

Also tracing was abandoned, that one around January (as I think).

Patients don't know when and how they got it, even if they don't go out much.

Underlying conditions, untreated, also those not diagnosed earlier, are a different matter. 

They have priority treatment, including multiple antiviral medicines

On 5/21/2022 at 9:57 AM, internationalism said:

let people chose by themselves what they do.

Cheering some and berating others is much pointless. 

Thousands of maskless tourists won't change popular attitudes, but at some stage might cause bad sentiments against us, who live here.

I would rather like tourists wearing masks more often. It's residents, who will be blamed for those short timers. Xenophobic comments from dr Anutin and some other establishment politicians might well be used now and during election times, to score points with their electorate.

I don't wear mask outside, never was pedantic about them, but during waves I was using 2 masks on top of each other.

Many thais outside city centres don't wear masks. I just copy their habit.

Definitely mask is needed when approaching an entrance to enclosed space. And should be carried at all times, even if asked so by anybody and anywhere in close distance.

Masks are going to stay in thailand for long. There is nothing wrong about them

Where do you live.  99%  wears masks outside when others are even remotely near them in the towns I spend time in the NE.  I would guess 9 out of 10 motorcycles on rural roads and most people working the fields.   

Silly behavior I think but kinda get it.  Westerners have a wealth of research available for them to make their own choices.  Thais just have anecdotal information for the most part and they are sincerely scared.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lorry said:

The pregnant girl in her 20s who recently died from omicron maybe wouldn't agree with you. 

I myself had almost no symptoms, but i know many people who were quite sick for a week.

You base your decisions on one person?  You are so caught up in your zeal and fear that you can't experience reality.

Cheer to the mask less tourists.  I still wear mine but can't wait until it isn't an expectation.

14 hours ago, atpeace said:

You base your decisions on one person?  You are so caught up in your zeal and fear that you can't experience reality.

Cheer to the mask less tourists.  I still wear mine but can't wait until it isn't an expectation.

Covid  - even omicron - is a serious disease for pregnant women. 

I guess you didn't know, and probably don't care. 

8 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Covid  - even omicron - is a serious disease for pregnant women. 

I guess you didn't know, and probably don't care. 

Any infection, especially flu/viral infection is serious for a pregnant women & baby/fetus.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, atpeace said:

It seems your reality is to ignore the fact that people are still dying from this pandemic and abusing others when they provide anecdotes to remind us.  You still wear masks like I do because the reality is that the locals wear masks and routinely abuse those who don't. Try going into a 711 without a mask on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Any infection, especially flu/viral infection is serious for a pregnant women & baby/fetus.

Can be but it's like being shot with a BB gun instead of a 12 gauge compared to coronavirus. The facts are that the death rate for coronavirus is much higher than for flu and other nondescript viruses which you allude to without naming them, thus making your post meaningless garbage.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 1