Thai woman with foreign husband furious at having to pay 54,000 baht on designer goods

webfact

Just in case anyone from customs is reading this........ 

I want to declare here and now that my wife has never smuggled in 8 or 10 Coach and Michael Kors handbags; half a dozen to a dozen watches; assortments of wallets and pocketbooks; and Ralph Lauren socks for her friends in Parliament. 

And she's never divided them up between her bags and mine, to limit the risk. And we don't go through customs a couple of minutes apart, for the same reason. 

None of that has EVER happened! 

Thank you. 

Cheers! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

This not about "silly luxury taxes" (whatever they are), it's about import duty on items brought into the country, just like in every other country.

You're quite the argumentative one aren't you. Calm down, Calm down, you're not in a pub in Toxteth now.

You can google "Luxury tax" if you really don't know what it means. It's the amount of this tax that is silly in Thailand. Otherwise, why would goods manufactured in Europe be cheaper in places like Singapore?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Letseng said:

No, they don't spend it in Singapore. Go and compare prices. The ones who can afford these goods buy them regardless. 

Yes, they do. I personally know at least 5 middle class office girls that were doing annual shopping trips to Singapore before Covid. The amount they saved on the goods more than paid for the flight and hotels so they considered it a free holiday.

Middle class Thais tend to be very savvy about how they spend their money. Maybe you will meet some one day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2long said:

They MIGHT be genuine tourists who bought and used the goods outside Thailand, in which case duty is not due. Whether or not they plan to take them when they leave makes no difference.

However, there are many cases of people claiming that items are for personal use or have already been worn, but plan to sell them for a profit, in which case the Customs guys are just doing their jobs.

Who are we to know for sure?

But as @Dmaxdan rightly points out, if they're wealthy enough to have these items, then they can afford to pay the tax.

Why someone travels with the original Chanel box, that's why they are angry, they lost 54,000 of benefit

Edited by BE88

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

Not on used goods you are physically wearing

They were not used goods and she was not wearing them.

"She said that she was taken to another room and searched and her jewelry such as bracelet, ring, necklace and earrings were removed"

Maybe my understanding of wearing is not correct then? Or do you not wear jewelry? 

Next time she could claim they were just borrowed from a dead friend - seems to work for others. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Bravo immigration, you are  doing what you are paid for. 

Next, get  rid of all the foreigners who pay 15,000 baht to bent immigration officers to avoid meeting financial requirements.  

Surely getting rid of the bent immigration officers is a better solution?? That way no foreigners can avoid the financial requirements by bribary as all the immigration officers are principled and incorruptible? 

2 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Surely getting rid of the bent immigration officers is a better solution?? That way no foreigners can avoid the financial requirements by bribary as all the immigration officers are principled and incorruptible? 

Strange logic but maybe. Ideally, get rid of them both. 

It's really a case of the chicken or the egg coming first; both criminals benefit each other. 

So what happens when I bring my personal IPad Pro (worth 60,000 baht), my Bose headsets worth 12,000 baht and my iPhone 13 Pro max worth 60,000 baht , does this mean they could be seized ? And or I have to pay tax for my personal items of use ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You're quite the argumentative one aren't you. Calm down, Calm down, you're not in a pub in Toxteth now.

You can google "Luxury tax" if you really don't know what it means. It's the amount of this tax that is silly in Thailand. Otherwise, why would goods manufactured in Europe be cheaper in places like Singapore?

Odd how opinions and accurate observations that don't fit some (most) Thaivisa posters' narratives are characterised as argumentative and justification for insulting others!    What have "Toxteth pubs" got to do with this?

This thread is about import duty, not "luxury tax", but you don't seem to be able to understand that.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

Nonsense, this is about smuggling.

It's about a woman who thinks that she is a hi-so and thinks that the rules should not apply to her.

She tried to break the law and got caught.

Mate you are entitled to your opinion and I happily respect that but if you feel that this is about smuggling then I would also guess that all of the people on this forum - probably you and I included - can be called a smuggler.

Thai customs procedure for green channel (nothing to declare).

" Personal belongings in reasonable quantity, which are worth no more than 20'000 baht in total and are not prohibited or restricted goods or food"  (Source: Customs.gov.th) 

Key words: in total

If you have ever come through customs with a laptop and a phone (personal belongings) you are a smuggler according to the law. (Unless of course you travel with all your receipts of purchase to prove they were bought in Thailand previously). Most wedding rings (personal belongings)  are worth more the 20'000 baht and I doubt many women carry that receipt with them. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jonclark said:
1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Bravo immigration, you are  doing what you are paid for. 

Next, get  rid of all the foreigners who pay 15,000 baht to bent immigration officers to avoid meeting financial requirements.  

Expand  

Surely getting rid of the bent immigration officers is a better solution??

Are you accusing the Customs officers in this case of being "bent"?

3 minutes ago, darrenr said:

So what happens when I bring my personal IPad Pro (worth 60,000 baht), my Bose headsets worth 12,000 baht and my iPhone 13 Pro max worth 60,000 baht , does this mean they could be seized ? And or I have to pay tax for my personal items of use ?

Big spender! 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Yes, I suggest you wear shorts, thongs and wife beater singlet to escape suspicion ????

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Laptops are not subject to import duty, they are zero-rated and I don't think that any Customs officer would be daft enough to try to impose duty on a visitor's personal phone (unless you've got a case full of them). 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Strange logic but maybe. Ideally, get rid of them both. 

It's really a case of the chicken or the egg coming first; both criminals benefit each other. 

Not really - just saying that immigration officers should be principled and incorruptible, they are after all the ones tasked with ensuring Thailand borders remain secure and all people follow the laws of the land. If they are not principled and incorruptible, there are many similarly unprincipled people who will exploit that weakness.

So the most effective way to prevent people bribing their way to a visa, is to get rid of the immigration officers that might allow that, thereby preventing any future law breaking by foreigners as you indicated in your previous post.  

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, jonclark.

Well if Neeranam is suggesting that immigration officers accept 15'000 baht to issue a visa from a foreigner so they can avoid meeting the financial requirements, you can draw your own conclusions as to what an immigration accepting 15'000 baht to this end might infer. 

2 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Not really - just saying that immigration officers should be principled and incorruptible, they are after all the ones tasked with ensuring Thailand borders remain secure and all people follow the laws of the land. If they are not principled and incorruptible, there are many similarly unprincipled people who will exploit that weakness.

So the most effective way to prevent people bribing their way to a visa, is to get rid of the immigration officers that might allow that, thereby preventing any future law breaking by foreigners as you indicated in your previous post.  

I agree but it is very hard as these officers have already secured their positions by paying on average 1 million baht. 

This is Thai culture, I just find it funny when the illegal immigrants here criticize other corrupt activities while partaking themselves. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Many of us travel with goods exceeding 20,000 Baht. 

Laptop, iPad, Phone, Watches....

I often wear watches valued at well over a million Baht.... but if I have bought them outside Thailand I mail the boxes and papers back here and wear the watch through Customs with my G-Shock I wore going out in my bag.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I agree but it is very hard as these officers have already secured their positions by paying on average 1 million baht. 

This is Thai culture, I just find it funny when the illegal immigrants here criticize other corrupt activities while partaking themselves. 

Absolutely, but then Neeranam, but as we both know it is that unprincipled aspect of Thai culture that attracts illegals here. Corruption is the grease that oils the wheels of officialdom:  speeding ticket, no driving license, visa, admission to a good school for your children, juicy contract to fix a road etc. etc. 

You would think that the illegals who profit from it would keep their mouths shut...but some people just can't help themselves. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Have you any evidence to support that "they obviously did?"

Can you prove that some of it........ or most of it........ was NOT things that shouldn't have been charged duty, as the travelers claim; personal possessions that will LEAVE Thailand when they go home (therefore not "imported?")

-----------------

From a customs standpoint, personal possessions are kind of like the personal property version of a transit visa. Yes, you're here; but no, you're not staying. So the rules get applied differently. If the possession will be staying in Thailand, it's an "import." If the item is just passing through Thailand, it is NOT an "import."

The couple admitted that at least one item was a gift for someone in Thailand---the shoes---and would rightly be called an "import." 

"Have you any evidence to support that "they obviously did?"

Yes, obviously; I read the op, did you?   If they hadn't exceeded the personal allowance they wouldn't have been taxed.

"Can you prove that some of it........ or most of it........ was NOT things that shouldn't have been charged duty, as the travelers claim; personal possessions that will LEAVE Thailand when they go home (therefore not "imported?")"

I don't have to prove anything, the Customs officers who issued a receipt have to.  If she disputes the charges she can appeal.

Imported items that may be taken out of the country are not exempted from duty.  That she has the ability to take them out of Thailand does not mean that they were "not imported" into Thailand.    And, if she does take them back to Korea she may find that she's hit with Korean import duty if she doesn't have receipts for everything!

"If the item is just passing through Thailand, it is NOT an "import."

Yes, it is.  The items were being imported into Thailand, by definition...they were being brought into the country.   A Thai citizen would have a hard job justifying your "passing through" theory.

"The couple admitted that at least one item was a gift for someone in Thailand---the shoes---and would rightly be called an "import." 

Every item they brought into the country from another country was an import.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, pokerface1 said:

IMO its a cash grab. If customs wants to be fair then they could have recorded the items in question and once the travelers check in to leave Thailand and return home then  a check of those items could easily be made. At that point anything item that wasn't present would be taxed. 

That's why I side with the travelers.

Bingo. 

Nothing more needs be said. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

For info, there is a customs bond store at Swampy. I used it once on a quick stopover when travelling to Bahrain as I had a new fax machine with me and refused to pay tax (yes ages ago). 

She could have left all her stuff there to avoid the customs duty

Customs Bond

Passengers with dutiable or controlled items which are not intended for use in Thailand must deposit them at the Customs Bond facility at the Airport Customs offices in which you arrive with the deposit duration of no more than 2 months. At the time of obtaining the bond, passengers are required to present the airline ticket to the third country and pay the related fees on the day of departure. Passengers can reclaim the items by informing the airline staff upon check-in.

Customs bond fees: weight of the package fee per day (Baht)

1. Not exceeding 20 kg., 40 Baht
  2. More than 20 kg., 80 Baht
  3. More than 40 kg., 150 Baht

http://suvarnabhumi.thailandairportshub.com/en/category-view/suvarnabhumi-customs-services

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Well if Neeranam is suggesting that immigration officers accept 15'000 baht to issue a visa from a foreigner so they can avoid meeting the financial requirements, you can draw your own conclusions as to what an immigration accepting 15'000 baht to this end might infer. 

This is a discussion about Customs officers, not Immigration officers, isn't it?