Jump to content

Foreign Tourist Killed While Crossing Road


anchadian
 Share

Recommended Posts

When I arrived in Thailand many years ago I thought to myself: I will never drive myself in this city.

Then, after years of riding on the back of motorcycle taxies, I got used to it and bought a motorcycle and joint the chaos.

But even now I would never ride a bicycle on main roads anywhere in Thailand.

 

Just last week I saw a family on 4 bicycles in the middle of heavy traffic on Sukhumvit Soi 3. And I asked myself: Why do they do that? It shouldn't take more than maximum a few minutes to realize that this is very dangerous and playing with their lives. Why?

Do they think they are invincible? Do they think because they are tourist all the other drivers and riders will be nice to them? Or do they simply not think at all?

 

I know some people will complain about victim blaming. Yeah, they shouldn't die. And it would be nice if everybody in Thailand would follow the traffic rules. But that is just not reality. If it's too dangerous then don't do it! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When I arrived in Thailand many years ago I thought to myself: I will never drive myself in this city.

Then, after years of riding on the back of motorcycle taxies, I got used to it and bought a motorcycle and joint the chaos.

But even now I would never ride a bicycle on main roads anywhere in Thailand.

 

Just last week I saw a family on 4 bicycles in the middle of heavy traffic on Sukhumvit Soi 3. And I asked myself: Why do they do that? It shouldn't take more than maximum a few minutes to realize that this is very dangerous and playing with their lives. Why?

Do they think they are invincible? Do they think because they are tourist all the other drivers and riders will be nice to them? Or do they simply not think at all?

 

I know some people will complain about victim blaming. Yeah, they shouldn't die. And it would be nice if everybody in Thailand would follow the traffic rules. But that is just not reality. If it's too dangerous then don't do it! 

Most tourists don't know that in Thailand pedestrians and bicycles have no right of way even when following traffic laws and crossings.  It's an (improper) cultural thing where the bigger vehicle has first right of way regardless of traffic laws or red lights or crosswalks.  Driver selfishness and self importance and minimal law enforcement cause this.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jerno said:

Most tourists don't know that in Thailand pedestrians and bicycles have no right of way even when following traffic laws and crossings.  It's an (improper) cultural thing where the bigger vehicle has first right of way regardless of traffic laws or red lights or crosswalks.  Driver selfishness and self importance and minimal law enforcement cause this.

So maybe they don't know when they arrive in Thailand. But how long do they need just looking at the traffic to understand it is a huge risk to be in the middle of that with a bicycle? 

And if they still think they try how long on a bicycle on a main road is necessary to get that "I don't want o risk my life in the middle of this" feeling?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And, sadly, so it continues. 

 

A Dr’s death after getting hit by a Policeman speeding through a crossing on a motorbike brought about national outrage....  then promises and more promises. 

 

These pages (of AN) were full of outrage and further comments that ‘nothing will change’.....  

 

..... Those who made such comments were very disappointingly and not unsurprisingly correct.

 

 

The total and utter disregard for the safety and lives of others in Thailand is its worst most very abhorrent national characteristic. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know some people will complain about victim blaming. Yeah, they shouldn't die. And it would be nice if everybody in Thailand would follow the traffic rules. But that is just not reality. If it's too dangerous then don't do it! 

Agreed... but its not just tourists..... 

 

Pedestrian incidents / accidents / deaths in Thailand are high because of the utter and total disregard displayed by motorists (and Thai government) towards pedestrians in all areas of Thailand.

 

16% of fatal road accidents in Bangkok are pedestrians (12% Car on Pedestrian / 4% MC on pedestrian)

 

 

https://unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2018/wp1/ECE-TRANS-WP1-Present-2018-10e.pdf

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

People need to be aware that when crossing the road, a green pedestrian  light doesn't mean that all the cars will stop . In France, cars do stop ar red lights and you can safely walk across the road , in Thailand you still need to make sure that there are no cars coming before you cross the road

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... but its not just tourists..... 

 

Pedestrian incidents / accidents / deaths in Thailand are high because of the utter and total disregard displayed by motorists (and Thai government) towards pedestrians in all areas of Thailand.

 

16% of fatal road accidents in Bangkok are pedestrians (12% Car on Pedestrian / 4% MC on pedestrian)

 

 

https://unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2018/wp1/ECE-TRANS-WP1-Present-2018-10e.pdf

 

Many people realize that on the streets of Thailand it's about size and power. 

Pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles, small cars, big cars, trucks, big truck, etc.

If you see any of those vehicles which is bigger than you then better assume they think they have the right to do whatever they want. It's not fair and not democratic and all that. But it's a good survival rule.

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN2oITfHZkZFixOjyXRUn

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Many people realize that on the streets of Thailand it's about size and power. 

Pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles, small cars, big cars, trucks, big truck, etc.

If you see any of those vehicles which is bigger than you then better assume they think they have the right to do whatever they want. It's not fair and not democratic and all that. But it's a good survival rule.

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN2oITfHZkZFixOjyXRUn

 

Very much so... 

 

I recall driving my Wife’s car (Merc A Class) after driving my car (Massive luxury 4x4).... it was dangerous - people wouldn’t see min the smaller car, they wouldn’t stop, wouldn’t give way, cut me up etc....   

 

The same has recently happened - I sold my Motorcycle and now ride a scooter (300cc Vespa) around town... 

the difference is night and day... On the larger motorcycle I am more visible, cars and other motorcyclists seemed to show a greater awareness... on the scooter I’m invisible and just another Somchai on a wave and other motorcyclists (worse than cars) are pulling out almost directly into me at a far greater frequency.... the worst part is when I’m leaving a few meters gap from the car in front before that gap would be ‘mostly’ respected, now it just fills with another scooter... I’m just less noticeable. 

 

Its the same for crossing the road....  Cross with confidence, put your hand up, look the cars or motorcyclists in the eye and be ‘visible’ (but prepared to abort !)... cars and bike stop... But if you cross in a timid hesitant way no vehicle wants to stop for you.

 

Thailand does not represent the realities forced upon us by the laws, responsibilities and accountability of road users in countries such as the UK where consideration for pedestrians is considered the most important. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...