Bangkok Bank Info

I left Thailand 2 years ago but I still have a balance in my BB savings account.  It appears that I have lost my old debit card.  I do have my old, not up to date, passbook.  I will be returning for a few weeks in a few weeks.

Can I get a replacement debit card at a branch and how long does it take?

Can I withdraw cash from any branch with just my passport and passbook?

My address will be in a Hotel in Phuket, while my original branch is in CM.  

Should be no problem to get a new debit card for ~300 baht from any Bangkok Bank branch of withdraw with your passport+bankbook. You will pay an extra fee on every withdrawal as it is considered an out of area withdrawal since you opened the account in CM and you'll be in Phuket.

From experience can only tell about Kasikorn.

About 2013 a mate went to some branch in Pattaya with an age old "Thai Farmers Bank" book. Was out in a about 20 minutes with a new Kasikorn passbook for the account.

Bangkok Bank?

Can only hope that they have progressed and you can do that at every branch?

With Bangkok Bank all reports I have seen say that you need to go to your original branch to get a new/replacement debit card so might be easier to open a new account in Phuket.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You better check your account. This is the kind of account loved by insider thieves. No activity for a long period of time, foreigner, hotel address, no debit card to check balance, overseas. All the ingredients are there for the Great Plunder. The usual MO is for someone inside to issue a debit card linked to the account, then withdraw to the last satang.

That's just a nightmare scenario. Money might still be on the account untouched and safe. 

1 hour ago, Fab5BKK said:

1 year ago, I went to a Bangkok Bank branch to get my new debit card. The branch I went wasn't the one where I opened the account.

I had the same experience a couple of months ago (Bangkok Bank), although the branch I visited was in the same city as the branch where I opened the account, if that's a factor - but presumably not.

They also didn't charge me for the new card, which was a pleasant surprise.

• Like 1

You account may have been made dormant due to inactivity.

First thing I would do is try to update your book in a machine and see what happens.

If your debit card has not actually expired, the annual fee will have been taken on the anniversary of its issue.

You may need to report it lost before you can get a new card.

• Like 1

I opened my first bank account at Bangkok Bank in Bangkok over 7 years ago  and then moved to Phuket.  Nothing but trouble with that BKK account. When the debit card expired I was told I had to go to Bangkok to get another one.  Apparently Bangkok Bank has divided the country into at least two parts and if you live in Phuket you can't get a new debit card in Phuket if your branch is in BKK.

Now if you have the passbook still you MAY be in luck.  But you may have to open an account in Phuket.  It's very complicated with Bangkok Bank.  I would suggest you go to the big branch at Central Floresta and make sure that the manager is there.  Open a new account with something like 5,000 baht (or more if you can afford it), get a debit card and then say....oh by the way I have some money in this account in Bangkok.  Can I transfer it to the new account.  I pretty sure that will work.  I would definitely work around it that way.  Of course it will take you some time and they will probably try to sell you insurance...just say no thank you.  I guess it depends on how much is in the account and if it's worth your time.  How much is your time for about 1-2 hours ?

If you haven't updated your bank book in a long time, when you put it in the machine it will lump all your past transactions into one and you will get a lump sum as a total.  Probably should do that first to make sure that you have any money in the account and no one took off with it.   Just a suggestion.  Hope it helps.

I just reread your post.  If you are only going to be here a few weeks it may be a problem....maybe.   Can you show proof that you are staying for a while.  Residency.  I'm not sure how that works anymore.   They may have gotten more strict, or more lenient.   Tell them you are applying for your long stay visa.   That worked before but who knows now.?  

Edited by LivingNThailand

I've thought about this some more.  They should let you take the money out if you have a passbook.  I mean, it is your money.  Originally I thought you were moving here.   And you cannot get a ATM card in phuket for any branch  "North of the Border"  if you know what I mean.  That I know for sure.   Anyway, Chok DI and let us know how it comes out.  I am curious.

BTW, I moved all my money from the BKK branch to the Phuket branch.  I wasn't going to fly to Bangkok to close the account.  Those people are nuts thinking anyone would do that.  ????

2 hours ago, mvdf said:

You better check your account. This is the kind of account loved by insider thieves. No activity for a long period of time, foreigner, hotel address, no debit card to check balance, overseas. All the ingredients are there for the Great Plunder. The usual MO is for someone inside to issue a debit card linked to the account, then withdraw to the last satang.

That's just a nightmare scenario. Money might still be on the account untouched and safe. 

How many instances of this happening can you account for, apart from what the bloke in the pub told you?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

With Bangkok Bank all reports I have seen say that you need to go to your original branch to get a new/replacement debit card so might be easier to open a new account in Phuket.

Not my experience. Opened at JTC branch in Bkk, got replacement card at Central Embassy branch. May be it depends on staff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I left Thailand 2 years ago but I still have a balance in my BB savings account.  It appears that I have lost my old debit card.  I do have my old, not up to date, passbook.  I will be returning for a few weeks in a few weeks.

Do you have internet banking, by any chance? As you've been away, you might have missed that you can now use their Bualuang mobile app for cardless cash withdrawals at (their own) ATMs. That would give you yet another option. 

5 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Believe you have misheard - cards can be obtained at any branch for some time now - but passbooks only at issuing branch.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe you have misheard - cards can be obtained at any branch for some time now - but passbooks only at issuing branch.

I have received a new passbook for my Bangkok branch account in Lamphun (where we now live).

• Like 1

Just now, Sophon said:

I have received a new passbook for my Bangkok branch account in Lamphun (where we now live).

Bangkok Bank?  Very recent?  I know that last time I tried I failed within Bangkok but was prior Covid.  

• Haha 1

Thanks every one.  I have mobile banking which works.  Also, I only have B578 in the account.  Before I lost the card I sent an electronic transfer of B1000 into BB.  Then I withdrew B500 from an ATM in the Philippines.

I guess I will just go to the Patong branch when I get there and if all else fails, I will be going to CM 10 days after Phuket.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe you have misheard - cards can be obtained at any branch for some time now

Guess it just depends on the branch of BKK Bank you go into. My wife has had a BKK Bank account for many years that she had opened in BKK. Her debit card had expired several years ago as we were living in the U.S. Her account has remained ‘active’ as she routinely made international transfers to the account. Now we are out in Isaan and have been to 3 different Bangkok Banks in two different provinces trying to get her a new debit card, and all 3 have told her only the original bank in BKK where she opened her account can issue a new card. She still has her passbook, and they updated it for her, and she can also make over-the-counter withdraws, no problem. Although they do charge her 60 Baht to do the withdraw.

23 minutes ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

Guess it just depends on the branch of BKK Bank you go into. My wife has had a BKK Bank account for many years that she had opened in BKK. Her debit card had expired several years ago as we were living in the U.S. Her account has remained ‘active’ as she routinely made international transfers to the account. Now we are out in Isaan and have been to 3 different Bangkok Banks in two different provinces trying to get her a new debit card, and all 3 have told her only the original bank in BKK where she opened her account can issue a new card. She still has her passbook, and they updated it for her, and she can also make over-the-counter withdraws, no problem. Although they do charge her 60 Baht to do the withdraw.

Has to be located in same province - sorry.

Simply take your Citizen ID card or passport and passbook to any Bangkok Bank branch in the same province as your home branch and you will be able to replace it with a new Be1st Smart debit card.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Bangkok Bank?  Very recent?  I know that last time I tried I failed within Bangkok but was prior Covid.  

I just got a new bank book last week with my new passport at a Tesco branch BBK, not my main bank.  No problem but it was in the same province.

• Like 1

Guest truthman

A lot of these banks have been shutting down branches. What would you do in a case like that? I've never had a problem at SCB getting a new passbook or ATM card at a different branch (although the same city) . Is this another cases of branches making their own rules?

You can withdraw at any branch with your passbook and passport.

You can probably get a replacement debit card at any branch. Takes about 30 minutes. If one branch 'makes their own rules' (very unlikely in the case of Bangkok Bank), just go to the next branch.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

8 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

This is not so in my experience with Bangkok Bank at all. I split my time between two different provinces and have on several occasions obtained a replacement card from Bangkok Bank in Phuket which is not the province where the my account branch is located. Just presented passport and bank book and a sorry tale of what happened to te bank card this time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sbf said:

This is not so in my experience with Bangkok Bank at all. I split my time between two different provinces and have on several occasions obtained a replacement card from Bangkok Bank in Phuket which is not the province where the my account branch is located

Are both the provinces in the South?  I was told, several times, that the Southern region of Thailand is a different division for BKK bank.  Twice I was turned down in Phuket to get a new atm for my BKK account.   The first time I had to go to BKK anyway so I got one there.  The second time I was turned down I just took all my money out of that account and opened a new one in Phuket.   I don't think it has changed.

So if this guy wants a new ATM card for a Chang Mai branch from a branch in Phuket I think he is out of luck.   But I backtrack on what I said earlier.  I'm sure he can withdraw the money in Phuket. 

18 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

With Bangkok Bank all reports I have seen say that you need to go to your original branch to get a new/replacement debit card 

This is correct. I had to do it this year. Original account opened more than 20 years ago in Bangkok. Now residing in Jomtien and had to go to Bangkok to get my new debit card. However the passbook (bank book) when full, can be issued a new one at any Bangkok Bank branch. Just did that in Jomtien yesterday.. 

Of course others report having success. So probably like everything else here in Thailand, varies from Branch to Branch or province to province. Immigration springs to mind. Never forget...Thailand is Land of Inconsistency and Confusion. LOIAC. 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Fab5BKK said:

1 year ago, I went to a Bangkok Bank branch to get my new debit card. The branch I went wasn't the one where I opened the account.

From my knowledge any branch but it has to be the in the SAME province. 

3 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

Are both the provinces in the South?  I was told, several times, that the Southern region of Thailand is a different division for BKK bank.  Twice I was turned down in Phuket to get a new atm for my BKK account.   The first time I had to go to BKK anyway so I got one there.  The second time I was turned down I just took all my money out of that account and opened a new one in Phuket.   I don't think it has changed.

So if this guy wants a new ATM card for a Chang Mai branch from a branch in Phuket I think he is out of luck.   But I backtrack on what I said earlier.  I'm sure he can withdraw the money in Phuket. 

No my bank branch is in Isaan. I guess I have had to get 4-5 cards out of province over the last 4-5 years., most recently in March this year.