"ATM scam" - myth or reality ?

On 5/30/2022 at 8:35 PM, itsari said:
On 5/30/2022 at 8:33 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Many other Countries do also charge for ATM usage though , its NOT just Thailand 

Please enlighten us what countries do the same

Please enlighten us which countries do not do the same  (with specifics for comparable transactions).

On 5/30/2022 at 9:09 PM, Baron Samedi said:

The tuk-tuk mafia is part of the exact same monopoly problem.

If the island wasn't so corrupted you would have Uber drivers everywhere already.

Tuk-tuk driver do not have a transportation monopoly.

Which island are you talking about, Thailand isn't an island.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you're asking a local bank to access your funds for you from another bank, outside the country, why would you not expect to pay for it?

It seems you've somehow concluded I said Thai banks shouldn't be compensated for providing access to foreign funds via ATM.  Please provide a quote from me to support your conclusion.

I like surprises.  Give me one by reading my post again and providing an accurate summary.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, wn78 said:

Thank you very much, that's what I wanted to know.  So they just swipe your ATM at the counter, I never knew that was possible.  You have to enter your PIN at a keypad, right?  Seems like this is not a standard procedure that they offer, since you had to wiggle your way in with a nice dress and cover story.... Do you remember the name of the bank?

was long ago as i now have an account there--bank of bkk--should work with any bank and they have a swipe module at counter....yep can do the PIN----dressing nice for business is just thai culture as to opposed to looking like a poor cheapskate(me)----gotta play the game here..

Just now, Sticky Rice Balls said:

was long ago as i now have an account there--bank of bkk--should work with any bank and they have a swipe module at counter....yep can do the PIN----dressing nice for business is just thai culture as to opposed to looking like a poor cheapskate(me)----gotta play the game here..

also take your passport as they may ask for it-----i now have my bank book to show too as ive upgraded to a account holder--ive come a long way--top of the world ma!

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Please enlighten us which countries do not do the same  (with specifics for comparable transactions).

Most banks charge 1 to 3 percent for a  withdrawal using  a foreign card . That charge is then shared between the banks . Some banks charge nothing yet you are not receiving the best exchange rate . 

The flat rate  by Thai banks  is in addition to what your own bank will charge .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wn78 said:

Thank you very much, that's what I wanted to know.  So they just swipe your ATM at the counter, I never knew that was possible.  You have to enter your PIN at a keypad, right?  Seems like this is not a standard procedure that they offer, since you had to wiggle your way in with a nice dress and cover story.... Do you remember the name of the bank?

You walk into a bank , its irrelevant what clothes you are wearing . 

You go to the foreign exchange counter , give them your ATM card and your passport , they put the ATM card into their card reader , you enter your pin number and they do all the rest , like photocopies and things , you sign the papers and get your money, passport and ATM card back 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You walk into a bank , its irrelevant what clothes you are wearing . 

You go to the foreign exchange counter , give them your ATM card and your passport , they put the ATM card into their card reader , you enter your pin number and they do all the rest , like photocopies and things , you sign the papers and get your money, passport and ATM card back 

I don't think any Thai bank requires a PIN for a cash advance on your credit/debit card.  It is handled like an old fashioned credit card charge at a merchant using a signed slip and your passport as ID.  The slip is a narrow strip of paper produced from the machine the bank uses to swipe your card.  I check the details on the slip, add my phone # and sign it.  At the conclusion of the transaction, they also give me a copy of the slip.  The procedure is the same whether the debit card is VISA or MasterCard.

I think there is only one machine per bank branch because the teller always has to get up, swipe the card and make copies of my passport ID page.

I've observed it many times at Bangkok bank, others have reported on Krungsri bank and no one reported entering a PIN.  I just go to any teller, not the foreign exchange counter.

Post COVID the teller has always asked me to remove my mask and they then check that my face and passport photo match.

Edited by gamb00ler

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense.

"ATMs can vary in price ($2,000-$8,000), but typically the average new, freestanding ATM machine will cost around $2,300-$3,000, and a used ATM will generally cost between $1,200-$1,800. There is also an installation fee to consider, which normally runs $200-$300, but many business owners find the installation process to be relatively easy and choose to install the ATM on their own."

https://www.liebermancompanies.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-buy-atm-machine/

• Like 1

Guest truthman
On 6/1/2022 at 12:23 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

this was my reply at the very beginning of this mess...i was like the first response and oooh the strange backlash i got.....it was a solution ive tested and been successful at, even though i was able to open an account at same bank when i started a job here...

The atm in my exp only allowed 30k and i recall a 150 fee and also the fees attached to convert usd to thai baht from MY debit card carrier and foreign transaction fees....

So as i posted..i went into the bank,dressed nicely as its thai culture, as expected, the bank teller told me to use the atm at the door, i said I needed more than the 30k for a motorbike for my thai gf(welcome to thailand and obsession with $$$) and being that I was dressed "thai style, and "taking care" of my fake thai GF, she agreed to swipe it at the counter and avoid all said fees...done and done....and yet you can see some posters here are offended.

I digress to use my "fake gf" excuse as we all know the thais are the most honest folks ever

That's fine, but it's not a technique you can use all the time unless you keep going to different banks and the all swallow the same story. As a rule, most branches won't let you withdraw money over the counter from a debit card. Even Citibank wouldn't let me do it.

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It would be much more bothersome for me  if the ATM kept my ATM card and didn't return it or my card got skimmed and thieves took all the money out . 

Thus I prefer going to a bank counter once or twice a month with my passport and ATM card to avoid getting skimmed or losing my ATM card .

*And just for AEAENNOW readers, It also gives me an opportunity to interact with a Thai woman............ppphhhrrrooooaaaaawwwww*

Each to their own. Neither has ever happened to me touch wood. With bank branches closing across the country you better get with the times gramps.

51 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Each to their own. Neither has ever happened to me touch wood. With bank branches closing across the country you better get with the times gramps.

"Gramps" 

Rather ageist , how old are you BTW ?

If you want to pay the 220 Baht ATM fee and risk either losing your ATM card or getting your card skimmed and you bank account emptied , go right ahead , I prefer not taking those risks and not paying the ATM fees and get a bit of personal service .

If a bank branch does close down , I just go to one that's open , if you cannot find a bank branch that's open, you can ask here where to find one.

Like, if its beyond your capability's to walk around and find one yourself  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RandiRona said:

Sorry you didnt get the point buddy, what I am trying to convey that it is criminal to charge 75% of minimum wage as ATM charges, I know they are not connected but was trying to draw an example based on logic and inference. 

Also I am not Thai Basher, I am Thai Elites , Thai goverment, Thai corrupt establishment basher. Common Thai is victim in their own country as witnessed by dozens of successful and unsuccessful coups. 

The charge is for Foreign  bank accounts , its not for Thais with Thai bank accounts , those charges don't apply to them and foreigners are expected to have an income of more than 400 Baht per week , or whenever they need to make a withdrawal , or they can avoid the ATM charges by not using ATM machines 

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The charge is for Foreign  bank accounts , its not for Thais with Thai bank accounts , those charges don't apply to them and foreigners are expected to have an income of more than 400 Baht per week , or whenever they need to make a withdrawal , or they can avoid the ATM charges by not using ATM machines 

I know it and that is why in my post I suggested not to pay that discriminatory institutionalized fraud against foreigners who is a fair game in LOS!

I remember going to the yellow bank's exchange outlet at MBK. The lone fat lady with a perpetual scowl on her face wasn't happy with me interrupting whatever she was engrossed in (looked like Line when she put the phone next to her keyboard). I told her I wanted a cash advance (thinking it might be cheaper than two ATM withdrawals of 20k + 10k) and if she could please tell me the fee for 30k baht. "PASSPORT!!!" she shouted back after I handed her my card. Ignoring my question about the fee, she checked my name on my card and on the passport. "NO HEB MIDDLE NAME ON CARD!! CANNOT!!!" and she returned my card and passport with the same ineffaceable death stare and quickly resumed her Line chat. Next to the counter (literally next to it) was the bank's ATM so I proceeded to withdraw the 30k baht. She saw me take the cash and gave me another tee-hee derisive look. 

Edited by mvdf
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 7:29 PM, FritsSikkink said:

The rate has been in place for a very long time and advertised, so how is it a scam? They want rich tourists who don't moan about a couple of hundred THB.

True enough, agree there.

On 5/29/2022 at 7:31 PM, Chris.B said:

Sorry, it is 220 THB.  ☹️

WHAT!!!! It's 220...well now that's a different story.

????

2 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:
13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Such as?

Kasikorn atms charging me 10/20 bht for a withdrawal if I am out of bkk ... Its really not the 10/20bht but that is just a <deleted> take if you ask me

B10 is not a "rip off" for that standard ATM service charge.