Kanchanaburi court set to decide fate of Brit who murdered Kalasin woman and stuffed her in red bag

webfact

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Yes, I did know her. I'm happy to accept that I spent time with her.

“She is a bar girl that I knew previously and I accept that I paid the bar fine. There is no way in the world that I'd ever hurt any woman let alone kill her.

“This is a despicable crime which I vehemently deny. I look forward to proving my innocence in the fullness of time.”

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/newcastle-man-accused-murdering-thai-5642562

Good to know that he clearly did it because, er, the police said he did, as did the papers. No juries in Thailand to deliberate the details of the case. 

Correct, he bar fined her so must be guilty. Open and shut case in Thailand

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, robblok said:

There is a court case they are going to decide today. So we just did not know when his court case started. But they will sentence him today. So there has been a court case and he has admitted. So he is guilty if not why would one admit to doing it. (ok you get a lesser charge if you admit but still).

Police all over the world can get people to admit to things they didn't do.

The police play games with you and wear you down. 

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

He has been sentenced to 16 years, commuted to 8 years because of his confession.   Got off relatively lightly.

She was only a bar girl.

He's got money by the looks of things.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Because of the nature of the murder and way it was done, i would say 15 to life, he confessed, so halved. If i was to bet, i would say he is looking at 7-20 

I am sure extradition was approved because Thailand guaranteed no capital punishment, otherwise my guess it would of been death penalty.

As  i thought, he got 16 years, halved to 8 because confessed plus 12 million to be paid in compensation with interest dating back to 2014

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

8 years in a Thai jail will do the trick, in particular if the wardens let slip to the local inmates why

he is in there. 

They'll probably pat him on the back.

"What, you didn't have 6 mates backing you up??? What a man." 

• Sad 2

Really unprofessional and potentially libelous journalism. He has not yet been convicted so you can't say he killed her. He ALLEGEDLY killed her. If the court renders a judgement of guilty only then can you write he murdered her. 

Once again, if you want to be a news organization, you should hire professional editors who know this basic stuff. 

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Someone here must know this charmer, spill the beans! We're avid for all the boring details of his nothing existence until he stole someone else's.

One of my friends lived in the house next to him in Huahin, he was seen there b4 he got accros the border, my friend used to talk to him often, I drank with my friend every day at smorprong, but no one knew much about his background, he was reported by the media as having a shady past and living in Spain, one thing that hasn't come out is the motive and the help he had doing this and escaping, he seemed to get out of Thailand easily. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Correct, he bar fined her so must be guilty. Open and shut case in Thailand

A little more than that, reading the mainstram news.

He was seen entering a hotel with her, and leaving alone. She was not seen again.

The porters remember him leaving with a very heavy suitcase that required 2 persons to be carried.

The bedsheets were stained with blood.

They found his DNA under her nails (ok this may be argued).

He also confessed.

Edited by arithai12
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Really unprofessional and potentially libelous journalism. He has not yet been convicted so you can't say he killed her. He ALLEGEDLY killed her. If the court renders a judgement of guilty only then can you write he murdered her. 

Once again, if you want to be a news organization, you should hire professional editors who know this basic stuff. 

Perhaps the journalist jumped the bell, but he has now been convicted.

8 years, 10M + 2M financial compensation.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

One of my friends lived in the house next to him in Huahin, he was seen there b4 he got accros the border, my friend used to talk to him often, I drank with my friend every day at smorprong, but no one knew much about his background, he was reported by the media as having a shady past and living in Spain, one thing that hasn't come out is the motive and the help he had doing this and escaping, he seemed to get out of Thailand easily. 

Indeed, the motive has been so far not reported. Help... well there were clear indications even in an early investigation that he was connected, and yet he was able to spend several more weeks in Thailand before finally flying out. Something is strange.

UPDATE:

Former British Hua Hin Resident Sentenced For Murder

By Editor

image.jpeg

Yesterday (31st May) the Kanchanaburi Provincial Court sentenced former Hua Hin resident Shane Kenneth Looker to 8 years imprisonment for murdering a 31 year old Thai woman, Laxami “Look” Manochat, in 2014.  

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1261344-former-british-hua-hin-resident-sentenced-for-murder/

I have just read that he was sentenced to 8 years and must pay 10 million baht to the girls mother. Thailand Judiciary system is a joke

Edited by RobU

4 hours ago, arithai12 said:

A little more than that, reading the mainstram news.

He was seen entering a hotel with her, and leaving alone. She was not seen again.

The porters remember him leaving with a very heavy suitcase that required 2 persons to be carried.

The bedsheets were stained with blood.

They found his DNA under her nails (ok this may be argued).

He also confessed.

yeah read all that before, pity no jury decided he was guilty based on evidence and they don't know how the body got from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi, important detail I would have thought. Imagine that a tourist leaving with a heavy suitcase, was the case found the same as Lookers?

Edited by scubascuba3

11 hours ago, ericthai said:

Police all over the world can get people to admit to things they didn't do.

The police play games with you and wear you down. 

you speaking from experience

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

yeah read all that before, pity no jury decided he was guilty based on evidence and they don't know how the body got from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi, important detail I would have thought. Imagine that a tourist leaving with a heavy suitcase, was the case found the same as Lookers?

There is no jury system in Thailand.. and dont forget the EU judges also found the evidence is enough. So you who has no access to the evidence think you know it better then them and the Thai court and the fact that he confessed. Bit bias I think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

There is no jury system in Thailand.. and dont forget the EU judges also found the evidence is enough. So you who has no access to the evidence think you know it better then them and the Thai court and the fact that he confessed. Bit bias I think.

how did the body get from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi? and dumped in the river? you don't think that's kinda important? 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Yes a life for a life has my vote. When you get mad at your wife just walk away get on a airplane live somewhere else but don't kill her.

After 44 years my wife deserves worse. ????

9 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Got to love all the people thinking "he's a fellow Brit so that automatically means he must be innocent and this is all a frame up even though they have evidence and he pled guilty to all the charges".

Remember the case a couple years ago about the (Brit) guy who was taken to the hospital after a motorcycle accident and while there admitted to having murdered a woman in his home ? Cops were called, they go to the guy's house and sure enough, dead woman.

But oh no ! On TV there were those who, without reading a single sentence of the story, decided he was innocent and the cops must have beaten a confession out of him.
(And they were still convinced it was a frame up even after it was pointed out that he'd confessed before the cops, or anyone else, even knew there'd been a murder.)

Meanwhile, if this guy is lucky, after about 5 years he should be eligible to apply for a "prisoner transfer" back to his home country.

For example. Some years ago a career criminal (Michael Karas) from Canada "stole" some ID while out on probation and flew to Thailand. He spent a year living with a Thai woman (with her renting the rooms).
They got into an argument (she caught him cheating on her). He broke her neck, then mutilated her face (trying to prevent her from being recognized), dismembered her body and hauled it to a local swamp (in Pattaya) and dumped her remains.
He then zipped to the airport and, still using the "stolen" ID, flew back to Canada.

He was arrested for violating his probation and while in jail, Thailand started extradition proceedings.
Karas even admitted to a couple of "cold case" robberies he'd done and ended up with a few additional years in prison.

But when his time was up, he was extradited to Thailand, found guilty of all charges and sent to Thai prison.

5 years to the day his lawyer applied for a prisoner transfer. They concocted a tear jerk story for a Toronto newspaper, going so far as to say that, instead of him being in prison for 5 years, he had been in for "half a decade" to make it sound longer. They figured Karas should be transferred back to Canada and immediately released.

It worked and the POS Liberal Public Safety Minister (Ralph Goodale) rubber stamped the transfer.

I emailed the Minister directly to let him know who Karas was and what he'd done.

I received a reply from some flunky in the Corrections Bureau who assured me that they would make sure all conditions were met (blah blah blah).

I found out that, about 10 months after he'd applied for the transfer, he was arrested in Winnipeg (Manitoba) for a string of armed robberies he'd done in Ontario.
Which means he was transferred back to Canada and released almost immediately after arriving. And then went back to his old job of robbing banks.

So he ended up doing just over 5 years in prison for murdering a woman, mutilating her face, dismembering her body and dumping it in a swamp.

(F'ing Liberals. Never met a criminal they didn't want to put back on the streets and never met an innocent citizen they haven't wanted to through in jail.)

This guy can only hope that he can get the same kind of deal from the UK a few years from now.

Yep lot of expats seem to think Thais are out to get them and Brits are angels. Not al murders make sense we got plenty of murderers back home. No reason to think they don't travel. White skin does not make someone innocent. But on this forum it seems to be a that the Thai police would rather go after a hard to extradite farang than a Thai who did it (according to the bar stool crowd)

• Like 1