Former British Hua Hin Resident Sentenced For Murder

webfact

7 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Yes, but in the UK judges must give a life sentence to all offenders found guilty of murder.

The judge will however set a minimum term an offender must serve before they can be considered for release by the Parole Board, and the recomendation for release, or transfer to open conditions, can be overruled by the relevant Secretary of State.

Correct,and I was aware of that . The ‘discount' would be applied by the judge in setting the minimum term. My answer was a reply to the general question of discounts

Did he ever give a reason for killing her -- rough sex went to far ? / woke up and she was stealing my money ? 

I dont suppose it matters what set him off --but I just cant get my head around it ,

you like a girl , so take take her back to your room then cut her up and put her into a suitcase.

Obviously it wasn't planed -- You would have picked a (street) free lancer, & he didn't have the S/case & had to buy rocks to weigh etc.

What a life these girls got, have to go off alone with some complete Nutters who obviously have a hair trigger on their emotions.

3 hours ago, Inala said:

Eight years for such an horrific crime is laughable. What a travesty of justice.

I do agree, but it may have rested on the fact that they could find no direct evidence that he had cut up and disposed of the body, while admitting murder, but with extenuating circumstances.  It's really the only explanation for such a lenient sentence. No excuse I know, but that's how the law works, even here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Wonder if the scumbags family have started a go fund me page to pay them off ! Shameful Thailand, guy should never walk free, he is a danger to society

well with some luck justice will be served in prison!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

INsulting to whom?

The family of the dead girl.

What this does show is that life is cheap here I'm afraid, 8 years for a brutal murder is ridiculously lenient.

Minor drug offences receive the same.

23 minutes ago, Mattd said:

The family of the dead girl.

What this does show is that life is cheap here I'm afraid, 8 years for a brutal murder is ridiculously lenient.

Minor drug offences receive the same.

So you are speaking for the family?

I suspect they are the ones who made the deal to get 12.5 million baht and a reduced sentence. 

This is a huge amount of money for the family of a former prostitute. 

I advise you to learn about Thai law and accept the culture if it is different to where you came from. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, newnative said:

46-year sentence for involvement in making a car bomb.   8-year sentence for brutally killing someone.   Liked the car bomb sentence.  The murder sentence makes no sense in comparison. 

Who was the car bomb aimed at? If it was somebody rich / powerful then there is your answer.

5 hours ago, vandeventer said:

He will be out in 4 years on good behavior, to murder again, as murder doesn't seem like such a high crime here. Why would confessing to a murder when you are caught red handed reduce your sentence by half? Go fund me is not for confessed murders.

a good piece of rope and a tree is a far better answer

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Over-all I am impressed this has been pursued to some conclusion.

Impressed? Not a word I would use in this situation.

It is a great example of third world justice.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai authorities had reportedly offered assurances under EU law that he wouldn’t face the death penalty if found guilty.

Law is law, of course.
But, I personally find it weird that EU criminals cannot be prosecuted according to the laws in the country where they committed their crimes.
Personally I would have loved for Mr. Shane Kenneth Looker to see him hanged. Eye for an eye.

13 hours ago, rwill said:

I think here the financial part of the sentence is seen as more justice than the prison time.  In my observations the families of the victims only care about what they will get from it not what happens to the person afterwards.  

A niece and her daughter of ours died in a car accident.  The only thing her father talked about during the funeral was how much money he thought he was going to get from the insurance company.

@rwilli unfortunately i think you're right.  the morals of thais are questionable sometimes.  personally if i was in that position id rather he'd do more time than take blood money off him.