Face masks back on as cabinet votes down end of mandate in June. Nightlife trade slams reopening

webfact

Very old politicians set the policy for nightlife. What else but puritanical rules are there to be expected. Kindergarten rules. All to bed at midnight and lights out.

Such rules have absolutely nothing to do with C19 avoidance. Thailand desperately needs fresh politicians who live more in daily reality and not in this exaggerated senile

fear like this old age lawmakers.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2022 at 6:52 AM, rainham said:

Just a thought but is it possible that somewhere there's a warehouse full of masks that need to be sold ?

Indeed, and I seem to dimly remember some, umh, questionable connections between the mask suppliers/importers,(wasn't it effectively a monopoly in the hands of a few influential people) and those putting the rules in place...

1 minute ago, tomacht8 said:

Very old politicians set the policy for nightlife. What else but puritanical rules are there to be expected. Kindergarten rules. All to bed at midnight and lights out.

Such rules have absolutely nothing to do with C19 avoidance. Thailand desperately needs fresh politicians who live more in daily reality and not in this exaggerated senile

fear of old age lawmakers.

May I suggest that most countries controllers are mainly old folk, not just LOS.....????

On 6/1/2022 at 8:10 AM, BKKBike09 said:

The 'temp check' is another example of pure conditioning. Last week I watched a group of eight masked up Thais in their 20s religiously queue up to do the temp check to "enter" W District in Phrakhanong ... which is all open air, and so which has no defined 'entrance'. They queued to 'get in' past the (unoccupied) guard's table next to the temp scanner, despite there being 20 yards of open frontage right next to it.

Did they slather on hand gel too.  The odds of contracting Covid from a fomite surface is 1 out 10,000.  That can be verified via the CDC web site.
And yet slathering hand gel is now just ingrained.  But not effective.  Well, except for those selling alcohol products.

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Did they slather on hand gel too.  The odds of contracting Covid from a fomite surface is 1 out 10,000.  That can be verified via the CDC web site.
And yet slathering hand gel is now just ingrained.  But not effective.  Well, except for those selling alcohol products.

But, basic cleanliness and hygiene was very lax before covid, now, it seems for many, a hygiene lesson learned, and like soap, you have to buy it....????

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Unfortunately there are economic incentives to keep masking, testing, and shots forever. 
Masks and ATK tests are consumables and bring in great revenue for the Thais who got into manufacturing and sale at the start.  If the state can mandate masks and tests?  The revenues keep rolling in.  However - they make a ton of medical waste too.  There is a issue that is never addressed, 'eh?

So expect the government to maintain mandate forever.

Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said on Thursday that he would seek further relaxation of Covid rules for the capital, including ending the mandatory wearing of mask and extending the closing hour for night places.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40016232

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:04 AM, BonMot said:

Population control. Economy be damned.

His mates in China are full on carrying out the most restrictive population control since Mao, its a shocker, people can not move without permission on their cellphone app. 

I think if Thailand lifts all the restrictions it might be an insult to China's regime, just a theory, anyone got another one?? 

They certainly aren't taking any notice of Denmark or the rest of the world where masks are rapidly being tossed. 

Edited by kiwikeith

1 hour ago, connda said:

Washing your hands with an alcohol hand gel is VERY effective... at killing misc. germs that the person may have on their hands.

That's a different issue from the issue of one's risk of contracting COVID via hand exposure, which science agrees is pretty rare, though not impossible.

But as someone said above, if COVID has encouraged Thai people and even us non-Thais to a general level of better hand hygiene, that's not a bad thing by any means.

5 hours ago, connda said:

Why isn't Prayut leading by example.  We need to call these people out everytime they flaunt that masks are commoner dress-code that is not for the elites.

relax man, nobody's listening to your call outs. jai yen yen and just enjoy your life instead of moaning about ChaCha all the time.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Sorry, but you're wrong. Most tourists from developed countries are now used to life being back to normal. Hardly a mask in sight.

People take a holiday to enjoy freedom, have fun and de-stress. Knowing that people are forced to wear masks in the open air (which also defies all logic) would put off tourists.

I have a bunch of friends who have postponed a trip to Thailand for 50th birthday celebrations since the start of the pandemic. They won't come while the mask laws are still in place. 

It's a big factor, along with the TP and restricted nightlife. 

your friends are not very nice people then are they? I live in Bangers and have noticed a little bit of an uptick in tourist numbers recently so it can't be that hard. I think the hardest part for some people is trying to get their two wives and four prams onto the BTS at Siam at 7pm on a Saturday night ????. if they can make it here why can't your mates? 

ps. plenty of whitey "I'm educated unlike you" types up and down the Suk not wearing masks. nobody seems to be bothered about it so why are you making mountains out of molehills other than to show how much you hate Thailand? kthxbye.

• Confused 1

I'll say it again.  It's not about public health - it's about control of the public.  Historically Thailand is a patronage system with elites at the top and then everyone else are commoners.

For the elites:  Different dress, different laws.
For the commoners: Commoner dress, strict laws.

Masks will be the ongoing sign separating the commoners from the elite.
Masks are the sign that a controlling power is exerting its control over you.

There isn't a reason in the world to mask up outside in the fresh air and sunshine. I don't take walks outside because I refuse to mask up.  I'm not masking up out in the rice fields of rural nowhereville.   I'll acquiesce to masks inside public transport and stores -  for the time being.  But sanity needs to prevails. But this isn't about 'sanity' - it's about control.  So like I said this time last year.  Masks and social distancing will be for the long term here in Thailand as the rest of the world goes back to a semblance of 'normality.' This is public control, not public health.

exactly how does mandating masks control the public. What does any so called control set out to achieve?

Medical experts recommend masks against covid infections., That's sanity and rejecting the advice of the medical experts is insanity.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

exactly how does mandating masks control the public. What does any so called control set out to achieve?

Medical experts recommend masks against covid infections., That's sanity and rejecting the advice of the medical experts is insanity.

Medical experts used to say smoking was good for you.

Strangely they ignored the hand gel, although a couple of them had little spray bottles which went on the table next to their phones when they sat down. One guy valiantly kept his mask on while drinking his tasty beverage, lifting up the bottom of it to sup, but in the end he realised a) it made the inside of his mask wet and b) he looked like a tw**

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

nope, some paid doctors did.

I think you'll find all doctors are paid. Well, except perhaps for Cuban ones sent to Angola in the spirit of fraternal friendship 'n all that.

Anyway, we could argue about this for ever. I'm going back to making my life-size model of global funster Tedros Ghebreyesus out of used face masks and hand gel.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I think you'll find all doctors are paid. Well, except perhaps for Cuban ones sent to Angola in the spirit of fraternal friendship 'n all that.

Anyway, we could argue about this for ever. I'm going back to making my life-size model of global funster Tedros Ghebreyesus out of used face masks and hand gel.

deliberately missing the point?

17 hours ago, connda said:

I'll say it again.  It's not about public health - it's about control of the public.  Historically Thailand is a patronage system with elites at the top and then everyone else are commoners.

For the elites:  Different dress, different laws.
For the commoners: Commoner dress, strict laws.

Masks will be the ongoing sign separating the commoners from the elite.
Masks are the sign that a controlling power is exerting its control over you.

There isn't a reason in the world to mask up outside in the fresh air and sunshine. I don't take walks outside because I refuse to mask up.  I'm not masking up out in the rice fields of rural nowhereville.   I'll acquiesce to masks inside public transport and stores -  for the time being.  But sanity needs to prevails. But this isn't about 'sanity' - it's about control.  So like I said this time last year.  Masks and social distancing will be for the long term here in Thailand as the rest of the world goes back to a semblance of 'normality.' This is public control, not public health.

Your opinion....Bull****!

On 6/1/2022 at 7:58 AM, George Aylesham said:

When one sees the difference in the death rates from Covid in Britain (178,000) and Thailand (30,000) - two countries with similar populations - I can't help thinking that Thailand has been immeasurably more successful at managing the pandemic while I accept that in both countries figures have been massaged to  a certain degree. And Britain had the supreme advantage of being an island but there were no efforts at any form of sanitary controls at ports and airports until well into the pandemic. Thailand is wise to take these relatively mild precautions.

I don't think we can assume the lower numbers for Thailand are a result of managing the pandemic better. There are all sorts of factors that could have played a part, e.g. climate.

Remember in the early days of the pandemic, Thailand had amazingly low covid stats for several months vs the UK / Europe. 

22 hours ago, mackayae said:

Phuket drops outdoor mask mandate!

Phuket cancels easing of mask mandate at outside places like beaches and parks.

The Phuket Governor has issued a revision to the face mask order that came into effect on Wednesday (June 1) to clarify that in general circumstances face masks must still be worn in public.

Edited by mackayae
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2022 at 1:58 PM, George Aylesham said:

When one sees the difference in the death rates from Covid in Britain (178,000) and Thailand (30,000) - two countries with similar populations - I can't help thinking that Thailand has been immeasurably more successful at managing the pandemic while I accept that in both countries figures have been massaged to  a certain degree. And Britain had the supreme advantage of being an island but there were no efforts at any form of sanitary controls at ports and airports until well into the pandemic. Thailand is wise to take these relatively mild precautions.

Yes, I too have made this comparison a number of times, even mentioning a few other Western Countries who have similarly allowed Covid to kill. It usually earns me a good number of negative emoticons......

On 6/1/2022 at 9:58 AM, George Aylesham said:

I have heard the comparison as well but people seem to forget that the difference in demographics regarding upper age categories is substantial. In the UK about 18.5% were 65 years or older in 2019 whereas in Thailand the number is about 10%, meaning a difference of almost 6 million people in categories most susceptible to covid due to their age. Not to mention the climate advantage of Thailand with sun and heat all year round. In Europe covid seems more of a seasonal issue.

Edited by rabang
  • Like 1