Thai Edible Insect Products More Popular among Americans

webfact

22 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Thai Edible Insect Products More Popular among Americans

Yeah, probably in the drunk 'I dare ya' market

By Americans, I can only assume he's talking about Thais that became American citizens.

49 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

By Americans, I can only assume he's talking about Thais that became American citizens.

I'm quite sure that is the case.

I can eat them, Yes. Do I like them, not particularly.

My wife however orders them, and her and her Thai American friends will eat them.

So maybe it's more a case of more Thai's in America driving consumption.

But I don't for one second believe it's being driven by the majority, Anglo, Hispanic, Black, North Asian, South Asian population

• Like 1

Americans are not going to eat bugs. At least not knowingly. And I don't know how the 1966 truth in packaging act will affect products with insects in them. I do know the people who figure inflation numbers will be happy. Back in the 1980s I believe they moved from counting beef prices to chicken prices to undercount inflation. I can just see the possibilities here. It's all just protein, after all, isn't it? So no mention of beef, chicken or whatever. Just protein consumption.  Make Americans eat more insects to get inflation under control.

• Confused 1

The big producers doesn´t randomly pick the bugs from the fields. They grow them in controlled environments to prevent harmful content. So it´s quiet safe.
But buying them from a street stand in Pattaya is another matter. They probably come from a pesticide ridden ricefield in Issan.

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

Americans are not going to eat bugs. At least not knowingly. And I don't know how the 1966 truth in packaging act will affect products with insects in them. I do know the people who figure inflation numbers will be happy. Back in the 1980s I believe they moved from counting beef prices to chicken prices to undercount inflation. I can just see the possibilities here. It's all just protein, after all, isn't it? So no mention of beef, chicken or whatever. Just protein consumption.  Make Americans eat more insects to get inflation under control.

Strange that haggis is still illegal, in the USA, I think.

Edited by overherebc