Last week I was able to convert my tourist visa to a Non-O based on marriage and I have had my 400k in the bank since April 7th. I would like to leave the country no later than July but I believe I need to do the 12 month extension otherwise I'll reset the entire process.

My question is, if I go to immigration on or after June 7th so the money has been in 2 months, can I get the 12 month extension and how long does it take? The made me wait 2 weeks to issue just the new visa once I filed and I need to file the exact same set of papers again I'm told. Once I get that, can I leave the country safely for a few months and not have to repeat this lengthy process again until 12 months is up?

What day does your 90 day stay from the non-o visa end?

You can only apply for the extension 30 day early or 45 days at some offices.

If you are making a short trip out of the country you could get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 days valid when you enter the country.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

What day does your 90 day stay from the non-o visa end?

You can only apply for the extension 30 day early or 45 days at some offices.

If you are making a short trip out of the country you could get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 days valid when you enter the country.

It says August 7th so that's right in the middle of when I would be gone. Does that mean I can only apply for the extension 30 days early? As in for example in Chiang Mai if it's 30 days I can not extend until July 7th? They take another 2 weeks to process the request also?

3 minutes ago, Caldera said:

A marriage extension will be under consideration for longer than that, usually about a month. 

Oh well in the case if I got in early that will be July 7th + 30 days which means I'm trapped in Thailand if I want the extension. 

I guess that means plan B which is that I just let the visa expire and re-apply in the USA when I'm ready to come back. Which btw, are all the same documents required if I register in the US? I remember they needed some original documents which I may need to bring.

Edited by NorthernRyland

26 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

It says August 7th so that's right in the middle of when I would be gone. Does that mean I can only apply for the extension 30 days early? As in for example in Chiang Mai if it's 30 days I can not extend until July 7th? They take another 2 weeks to process the request also?

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then a re-entry permit that would be valid until the 60 day extension ends in October since it will start on August 7th.

The under consideration period for you application will be for 30 days and if I recall correctly CM immigration starts the 30 days from the end of your current permit to stay date.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife and then a re-entry permit that would be valid until the 60 day extension ends in October since it will start on August 7th.

The under consideration period for you application will be for 30 days and if I recall correctly CM immigration starts the 30 days from the end of your current permit to stay date.

I need to reset this in a way so it doesn't conflict with my summer plans which are roughly early July to mid-September.

So you're saying before August 7th I can apply for the 60 day extension while still in the US? That would extend this out to early October which is probably good enough.

5 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I need to reset this in a way so it doesn't conflict with my summer plans which are roughly early July to mid-September.

So you're saying before August 7th I can apply for the 60 day extension while still in the US? That would extend this out to early October which is probably good enough.

You would have to apply for the 60 day extension and a re-entry permit before you leave the country.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would have to apply for the 60 day extension and a re-entry permit before you leave the country.

Thanks but that would cut my trip to a strict 60 days including travel time. An option but not great.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Thanks but that would cut my trip to a strict 60 days including travel time. An option but not great.

You would get more than 60 days since it would start on August 7th when your 90 days ends.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would get more than 60 days since it would start on August 7th when your 90 days ends.

Oh great, and then you need 15 days before the visa expires to request the 12 month extension? So it's 1.5 months from August 7th?

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Oh great, and then you need 15 days before the visa expires to request the 12 month extension? So it's 1.5 months from August 7th?

There is no 15 day requirement to apply for a extension. It can be done up to the last day.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no 15 day requirement to apply for a extension. It can be done up to the last day.

Oh that was just for the visa itself. Ok great if that extension works then this will give me enough time for the summer.

btw what's the logic behind asking for a 60 day extension to a visit a wife while still in the country? Is this just a general 60 day extension they give or must it be for that expressed reason?

3 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Oh that was just for the visa itself. Ok great if that extension works then this will give me enough time for the summer.

btw what's the logic behind asking for a 60 day extension to a visit a wife while still in the country? Is this just a general 60 day extension they give or must it be for that expressed reason?

To visit your wife is how it is stated in the immigration order that allows them. It really means nothing when you apply for one.

• Like 1

Before going for the 60-day extension, explain the situation to your local immigration office and ask if they will accept an early extension to your permission to stay in light of your travel plans. Chiang Mai immigration tends not to be very friendly, so they may not be willing to help (at least if you do not enlist the help of an agent) but many immigration offices can be sympathetic to issues like yours.

Also bear in mind that there is nothing preventing you from leaving without protecting your current permission to stay, returning visa exempt, and applying anew for the Non O or, perhaps better, applying for a single entry Non O from an embassy prior to your return. Note that, if you are eligible to use the Thai e-visa site (depends on nationality) the visa application is very convenient.

20 hours ago, Caldera said:

A marriage extension will be under consideration for longer than that, usually about a month. 

All of my marriage extensions have included a comeback in 30 days slip to collect the extension,  also if you do it earlier, say 2 weeks before the current extension ends, which I did last year

I was given a date 6 weeks away to come back and collect.

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Just wondering don't you have to be here for the 'home visit' ? 

As long as you inform the immigration office in advance of your plan trip abroad, the failure to be at home on a particular date is not held against you.